Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sunday Salon: Pass me the wine

 So yes, it is Sunday morning and I'm already wanting wine.  It's been that kind of week!  When is it ever NOT that kind of week?  Ha!  I always worry that I sound whiny (wine-y), so I'll just quickly run down this week's highlights.

*  One kid home with a stomach bug for most of the week.  With only three weeks of school left, I have anxiety attacks on accumulation of homework and tests.

*  The other kid in the throes of her first AP exam, and looming finals.  Misery thy name is she.  I just stayed out of her way basically, and fetched ice cream and M&M's when she made the request, like the maid servant that I am.

*  Realize the Nawrot compound is soon going to be overgrown with vines and weeds.  Spend a solid three days in the yard.  Thank God for audios.

*  The neighbor's cat (who we feed and entertain) decided to DIE in our bushes.  After investigating awful smell, husband must don HAZMAT suit and dispose of the poor creature.  Worry about why a healthy cat decided to die (poisoning? rogue coyote?) and worry about the fate of my six furry babies whom I love so much.

*  The eldest furry baby, who was quite fond of neighbor cat, is faced with his own mortality, and decides to assert his dominance by suddenly resurrecting his hunting skills after years of being old and tired.  Didn't witness the carnage of the bird (first picture below) but got the full show of his wrath on the squirrel (second picture).  Isn't that nice!  














My golf league had their end-of-the-year bash on Thursday night and it was so GOOD to see some of my dear friends.  I have not been a frequent golfer this year, which makes me sad.  Hopefully when the season starts back up again in September I will be in a better position to participate.

My husband and son took off on Saturday morning, finalized registration for football in August, my son played in an All-Star volleyball game to end the season, then took off for the panhandle to do some deep sea fishing with a work colleague.  So my daughter, slightly happier after finishing the AP exam, and I spent the day shopping (included underwear, Brighton, clothes, Vera Bradley and books), dining at a new sushi restaurant, and seeing Iron Man 3.  All really good therapy for what ails you.

Besides animal shelter duty this morning, I'm not sure what we will do.  I'm thinking maybe hanging by the pool and catching up on reading.  Seems like a fine idea.  Speaking of reading, I did finally finish Michael Morris's "A Place Called Wiregrass" and loved it so darned much.  Oh my goodness.  Love him and all his Southern awesomeness.  I just picked up Liane Moriarty's "The Hypnotist's Love Story" (she wrote "What Alice Forgot").  I just love that woman.  She get's it.

On audio, I finished "The Dinner" by Herman Koch (all I have to say is WOW) as well as "The Other Typist" by Suzanne Rindell (another brain-twister).  For shits and giggles I have just started Jen Lancaster's "Here I Go Again" and I already almost ran off the road twice, she gave me belly laughs.  Her sense of humor is exactly what I needed!

So let me know how you are all doing.  Do you have a good Sunday planned?  Are you reading anything that I MUST put on my list?      



16 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

What a mom you are, fetching m&ms and ice cream. I remember my mom HIDING the m&ms from ME! LOLOL (well, with good reason, but still....)

Janine K said...

I'm just about to start "The accidental husband"by Liane Moriarty, haven't read any of hers yet, try Dianne Blacklock too - my favorite Australian author, she writes great women's books.

Elisabeth said...

Just finished The Hypnotists Love Story on audio? I really enjoyed it, especially listening to the Aussie accent. You cannot go wrong with anything Amy Einhorn puts her name to!

Alyce said...

I read Where'd You Go Bernadette and loved it! I'm in the middle of The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway - it's a time travel story and I'm a sucker for those.

I hope you have a great week!

bermudaonion said...

Another crazy week for you! Our neighbor's cat used to love to hunt squirrels and bring them to our yard. Yuck! I want to go shopping with you!

JoAnn said...

Only a few chapters in, but I'd say And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini NEEDS to be on your list! Can't wait to hear what you thought of The Dinner and The Other Typist is on my list, too.

Hope the week ahead is a little calmer :-)

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

You had quite a full week! Don't you just love it when the cats bring "gifts"? Nothing says love like a dead squirrel! I hope this week is a bit quieter for you!

Beth F said...

Hoping you're getting in that relaxing poolside time.

Ti said...

Don't feel bad about the wine comment. I am heading to a BBQ and what appeals to me most? The margaritas that she'll ply me with as soon as I walk through the door. Pain meds, antibiotics and booze. I should be a rip roaring mess by the time all is said and done, but I bet I won't be feeling any pain!

That pic of your cat with the squirrel sent me into a fit of laughs. The look on his face!!

Anonymous said...

Another week of craziness at your house! And I agree, fetching M&Ms and Ice Cream gets you the Great Mom award.

I am on hold for The Dinner on audio at the library - waiting impatiently...

Heidenkind said...

My parents just left me alone during finals, too. I have a feeling I was pretty ragey. lol

caite said...

Cats will be cats...which why Larry is an indoor cat. That and the fact that someone declawed him...

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about the cats, but I hope you got that nice reading time by the pool. I have a copy of The Dinner and hope I enjoy it as much as you did.

Alice said...

Good kitty! Audios are wonderful creations and again I feel like slapping myself for only accumulating them but never did anything else. Hmmm... Weekend's approaching once again (soon) so here's wishing a great week(end) ahead!

Julie P. said...

I'm curious to hear what you think about HYPNOTIST. I loved her other book but this one didn't resonate with me as much.

Jenners said...

Thanks for reminding me why I like dogs better than cats!! How awful to have to deal with the death of your neighbor's cat (though it sounded like it kind of belonged to you in a way).

And The Hypnotist's Love Story is pretty good. It actually inspired me to try hypnotherapy after reading it!