Sunday, May 5, 2013

Sunday Salon: Barometric Pressure Blahs

 The theme for this week was RAIN...over 6 inches according to my gauge.  And when it wasn't pouring, then it was grey and yucky.  I'm a fan of blaming the barometric pressure on the blahs...I swear there is something to it.  All I wanted to do this week was sleep.  Which did not happen but I did get out of the yard work.

Mostly I picked away at my short-range to do list.  Get audios loaded on my iPod (a sometimes tedious task), get my passport updated and ready for our Poland trip this summer, bribe my daughter to purge her closet then pack it up and send it all to a cousin, raise hell with All-Clad.  (Small digression:  I sent back the insert to my All-Clad slow cooker BEFORE CHRISTMAS because the non-stick coating was flaking off.  Sometime in January I called to check on the progress of its replacement and was informed that it was on back order.  For SIX MONTHS.  This week I called them for the fourth time and raised so much hell that they agreed to send me an entire new one if I sent in the electrical portion.  They should be ashamed.  I shall never buy something from them again.)

So I made a few trips to the post office, which inspired my son to show me these pictures which I had to share.  

   
















So the Rush concert last Sunday night was awesome.  It is amazing to me that three 60 year-old dudes can kick so much butt.  They played a lot of songs from their new album, but ended the night with some classic stuff that made us very happy, including an encore of "2112".

We watched a couple of really good movies this week.  We rented "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (I will soon be doing an ode to David Fincher, the world's most awesome director) and bought and watched "Django Unchained" (I should probably do an ode to Tarantino as well).  Both highly recommended. I cried like a baby with Benjamin Button, similar to the "Les Mis" waterworks display.  Figured you deserved that warning, just so you had tissues at the ready.

We've had a busy weekend so far, with a few hours at the animal shelter yesterday, my son's last volleyball game of the regular season, and dinner with friends last night.  Today I owe my daughter a trip to the mall (urgh) and maybe, if I have my way, some Ironman 3 action in the afternoon.  

So I didn't really set the world on fire with my reading this week.  I did finish "The Rage", an Irish crime thriller that was really gritty and satisfying, plus I finished "Fire in the Ashes" by Jonathan Kozol.  I started "White Horse" by Alex Adams as well as "A Place Called Wiregrass" by Michael Morris (a gift from Mr. Morris since he learned that I love St. George Island and some of this book takes place there).  I was just informed as I was writing this post that my digital request for the audio of "The Great Gatsby" is ready, so I will download that and hopefully get to it soon.  

Happy Sunday to everyone! 


14 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I just love your idea of hardly getting anything done. No wonder I give up and go to bed so early, LOL - I get exhausted reading what YOU do!

bermudaonion said...

Oh man, have we got the blahs here too. We haven't seen the sun in forever and it is pouring as I type this. Our rain gauge runneth over. I am not a good shopper but have bought 2 cute summer outfits and 2 pairs of sandals and I'm dying to wear them!

Beth Hoffman said...

OMG ... the pic of the kitty pushing his head out of the box is hilarious. I laughed out loud!

The Relentless Reader said...

The weather blahs: I has them! I woke up to 14" of snow this past week. What in the world??

Ti said...

We had a heat wave last week and wildfires so today's clouds is welcomed. Actually, we are supposed to get 4 days of rain but I'll believe it when I see it.

caite said...

The Rage..Irish crime thriller..must check out...

Alyce said...

I'm glad you are getting a new cooker but it definitely sounds like you had to work for it.

Love the first kitty with big eyes - so funny!

Iliana said...

Good luck at the mall! I can't believe how much I used to love going to the mall and now I cannot stand it. Looking forward to your review of Benjamin Button movie! I'm so behind on my movie watching too - imagine that :)

Heidenkind said...

I hate cloudy days, even if it's warm. I need sunlight!

Anonymous said...

Irish crime thriller? Going to have to look for that one!

Beth F said...

Hope you like White Horse as much as I did.

JoAnn said...

Thanks for reminding me about passports... ours all expire in a few months. Time to get the renewal process going!

Can't believe you are still fighting with All-Clad! I hope they don't mean to wait for your electric cord before mailing a new unit! Disgraceful!!

Jenners said...

Thanks for the tip on All- Clad. Will not buy anything from them. And I still haven't seen Django Unchained. Need to change that.

Julie P. said...

Sounds like a great week. Our weather has been rainy this week but it seems to stop for every baseball game. I could use a night off!