Wednesday, May 22, 2013

New on the iPod

 Here are three more titles that I recently added to my ever-expanding collection of audios that may take years to consume.  Hey at least I won't ever have an audio emergency!







 The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin (borrowed from the Orange County Library and recommended to me by Kathy at Bermudaonion)

Narrated by: Lorna Raver

Listening length: 16 hours, 24 minutes

Shy daughter of US Ambassador to Mexico meets and falls in love with Col. Charles Lindbergh, fresh off his 1927 solo flight across the Atlantic.  While ultimately accomplished in her own right, she will always be considered the aviator's wife.  This vividly-imagined novel of a complicated marriage covers the rich history of the late-1920's to the mid-1960's.
 
Panorama City by Antoine Wilson (borrowed from the Orange County Library and recommended to me by Ti at Book Chatter)

Narrated by:  Paul Michael Garcia
Listening length:  8 hours, 6 minutes

28-year-old Oppen Porter, an open-hearted, bicycle-riding, binocular-toting, self described "slow absorber", unspools into a cassette recorder his tale of self-determination, from "village idiot" to "man of the world", for the benefit of his unborn son.



Bunker Hill by Nathanial Philbrick (received from Penguin Audio and recently reviewed by Jill at Rhapsody in Books)
Narrated by:  Chris Sorensen
Listening length:  12 hours, 58 minutes

A fresh perspective on every aspect of the story of the Boston battle that ignited the American Revolution.  Philbrick reconstructs the revolutionary landscape with passion and insight in this mesmerizing narrative.



9 comments:

Unknown said...

While I don't have as much on my iPod as you do, one book and too many podcasts, I'll still probably never get through them all either. I've subscribed to too many short story podcasts.

bermudaonion said...

It took me a little while to get used to Raver as the narrator for The Aviator's Wife but once I did, I loved the book. I think I too closely identified her with Adelaide from A Land More Kind Than Home.

Beth F said...

I've been wanting to read/listen to Aviator's Wife ... can't find the time.

JoAnn said...

We're obviously reading the same reviews... they're all on my list, too!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I read The Aviator's Wife for book club recently. If you haven't read the book The Gift of the Sea you definitely should!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

You must have the most hugest iPod in the universe! LOL

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

I've had my eye on Bunker Hill, hopefully it's a good one!

Julie P. said...

We are reading AVIATOR'S WIFE for July's book club. I have the audio version.

Darlene said...

I loved The Aviator's Wife. It was really good. I can't wait for your thoughts on it when you get around to listening to it.