Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday Salon: SIBA 2011

Good morning friends!  I wasn't entirely sure if this post was going to happen today.  I thought I might put it together last night, but after our first full day at SIBA, without more than a five minute break all day, I was almost delirious from exhaustion.  God bless my body clock though, because even though I had my alarm set for 6:00am this morning so I could get ready for an early author breakfast, I was up at 5:15.  But before I get into the SIBA stuff, let me talk a little bit about the rest of my week.

Well, actually, there isn't much to tell.  After getting back from Boston last Sunday, my parents went back to Indiana, my husband left on another business trip, and I spent the week getting caught up on things and getting ready for my SIBA trip to Charleston.  The school had a big Grandparents Day celebration, for which I was a volunteer, and we also had our first day of golf for the season for my league.  It was hot, but for someone who hasn't touched a club since May, the balls were flying straight and far.

I didn't really get alot of print reading done because I was spinning in circles for most of the time.  I started "Dominance" by Will Lavender, which Swapna reviewed and convinced me I couldn't live without, but I couldn't make much headway.  Next week, I swear.  I did finish Michael Harvey's "We All Fall Down" on audio.  I love this guy.  Great Chicago action, great mysteries, and all in a small efficient package of 7 or 8 discs.  I then started Nesbo's "The Snowman" which is narrated by Robin Sachs.  Now, THIS is going to be fun!!!

So SIBA.  Heather and I left Friday morning to drive up to Charleston.  We had planned on listening to "The Last Werewolf" on the way up, but big shocker, we talked the whole way.  You all knew this would happen.  We met up with Kathy (Bermudaonion) and Swapna (S. Krishna's Books) and then off we went to a welcome reception, followed by an open house held in a featured author's Charleston home (she writes Southern cookbooks...biscuits were had, and I wanted to move into the house).  We followed that up with dinner at 82 Queen.  The whole city is having the Charleston version of Orlando's Magical Dining, so things were bustling.    


Saturday was a full day.  The schedule was packed from about 11:00am until 10:30pm.  Our merry band of bloggers set up interviews with authors Jennifer Niven (who was drop dead gorgeous and extremely gracious) and Alma Katsu, author of "The Taker" (who was the most real, warmest, funniest person ever...you would want to have her over at your house for dinner).  See photos of each author below. 




I will certainly do a more in-depth recap of the SIBA event, but yesterday we accumulated between 30 and 40 signed books (which eventually will be placed on our Adult Literacy League auction after I've read them), and saw so many mind-blowing authors (AVI, Sandra Brown, Karen White, Ted Dekker, Kadir Nelson - object of my crushing, Wendy Wax, etc.) that I was on the verge of being over-stimulated.  The organizer for the UCF Book Festival was also here recruiting for our Orlando event next year, so it is exciting to think that we may see some of these authors again. 

Today, the publisher exhibits open, there is an author breakfast and lunch, and an auction where you can "buy" an author for dinner.  There are so many I would love to buy...Tom Franklin, Amy Greene, Wendy Wax, Karen White...I'm hoping that maybe the bloggers can procure one!

I must say that this is an amazing event, and I am thrilled to be a part of it.  We have all the best authors, but the venue is intimate and very organized.  Stay tuned for more details to come.

As a parting note, I also wanted to tell you that I think this post marks my 1,000th (give or take one or two - it is confusing when I have pre-scheduled posts).  I shake my head at this number.  Who would have thought?  I will also be coming up on my 3 year anniversary in October.  What started out as a way to keep track of my books has turned into an effort that has become a way of life for me.

Hope you all have a wonderful relaxing Sunday.  I'll be back to check up on you on Wednesday.  What is up with you today?     




24 comments:

Marg said...

Sounds like an awesome event! No matter that I have just spent time going to our local festival, I still get a little envious when I see what everyone else is getting to do!

Congrats on reaching your milestone too.

Jenny said...

How fun! Can't wait to hear more!

Trisha said...

It sounds like you are having a blast! Although I worry about anyone whose internal alarm wakes them up at 5:15. That's just not decent! :)

caite said...

I have SIBA envy...

Darlene said...

That event sounds awesome and I'm so glad you guys get to be a part of it although envious. We don't have anything exciting like that happening where I live. Lol. Hope you have a good week!

Anonymous said...

I could definitely use an internal alarm clock. I was lucky enough that my dogs woke me up at 9:40 this morning, since I do have to go to work later. Enjoy the rest of your time at SIBA--can't wait to hear more!

Erin said...

Congratulations on 1000(ish) posts! That's exciting!

SIBA sounds like a really fun event. I'm glad you're enjoying yourself!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Happy 1000th post! We, your readers, should be celebrating for 1,000 opportunities at intelligence, insight, and humor!

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Oh wow what a great time, it sounds like. So glad you got to enjoy such a fun event.

ds said...

Congratulations on your 1000th post! That's a wonderful milestone. Sounds like SIBA is everything you were hoping for and more. Have fun!!

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous that you got to meet Swapna and Kathy - I bet you had a great time together. Congratulations on the 1000th post! Here's to the next 1000!

JoAnn said...

SIBA sounds amazing! Glad you're having such a good time. 1000 posts is a MAJOR milestone - congratulations.

Melody said...

Sounds like you all had fun! Wish I could attend!!

Congrats on your 1,000th posts! Here's to more to come!

Jenners said...

Sounds like a fabulous time!! Wish I was there with you guys!

Beth F said...

I'm so glad you all are having a fabulous time!

One of these years....

Ti said...

You always have the best time. I want to hide away in your luggage.

I hope you said hi to all of the ladies for me.

I have having trouble getting into The Last Werewolf and it's due tomorrow. I may renew but I'm not so sure I want to.

bermudaonion said...

It was so wonderful to see you again! I'm already having SIBA withdrawal!

Unknown said...

I am jealous that you are there and having so much fun...but enjoying living it through you!! Congrats on reaching your milestone!!

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Let me just say. I am totally jealous that I couldn't go this past weekend - I had such fun with you ladies last year. Maybe next year!

Zibilee said...

I had the best time, and when I got home, I talked my husband's ear off about all the stuff that we saw and heard. He just kind of looked at me with a bewildered smile on his face and shook his head.

patebooks said...

Great early wrap-up. We'll have to compare notes. It was wonderful seeing so many old friends and meeting new ones! I so enjoy your blog even if I don't comment as often as I should.

patebooks said...

Great early wrap-up. We'll have to compare notes. It was wonderful seeing so many old friends and meeting new ones! I so enjoy your blog even if I don't comment as often as I should.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Thanks so much for sharing these SIBA stories and your photos with us!

And - I should have put money on you and Heather TALKING the entire drive to Charleston! Remember how Marie and I said "yeah, sure" when you said you'd be all talked out :)

Eleanor Brown said...

So many people I love all in one place! Glad you all had fun!