Wednesday, September 14, 2011

BBAW Wednesday Topic - Community: Finding a place of your own

Today's topic is all about the book blogging community, and finding a place within a community where you fit in.

It can be pretty overwhelming and intimidating to start a book blog, and see all of the long-standing, flourishing relationships surrounding you, and wonder where you fit into the scheme of things.  For my first month of blogging, I was befuddled.  How does everyone know each other?  How do I get people to come visit me?  I asked my sister (my blogging inspiration), and her sage advice was...go out and visit people, and refuse to be ignored.  Use your personality in your comments, and they will come, out of curiosity more than anything. 

This was great advice, and really the best advice I could give to a new blogger.  I (somehow) came across James (Ready When You Are, C.B.), loved his eclectic reading selections and his adopted kitten and his book-eating dog, and started paying attention to the blogs HE liked.  It became viral at that point. Then I began my commenting thing, and that was that.  Find the bloggers that read what you like to read.  There is so much common ground in that. 

I'm not always able to visit the blogs every day, but I make a concentrated effort to get there most days of the week and say something, some blabber.  I also try to research the people who leave me comments and follow them as well, but I run a few months in delay sometimes (sorry, I'm a mess).  It all comes down to the golden rule...treating people as you would like to be treated.  Send an e-mail if someone is feeling down.  Take an interest, be supportive.  Book bloggers are good folks, and with a little time investment, everyone finds their niche.   

   

24 comments:

Unknown said...

Great advice :-)

Melody said...

Totally agree with you there!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

You are NOT a mess! There is no better blogger, hands down!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy, I love your blog and your opinions. I appreciate your diligence to your blog. Gayle

JoAnn said...

Excellent advice, Sandy!

Unknown said...

Fantastic advice, Sandy! And you leave the greatest, nicest comments. You also manage to stop by almost every book blog it seems! I don't know how you do it but you have always made me feel happy to be a part of this book blogging community and I know I'm not the only one :o)

Zibilee said...

I agree with your advice wholeheartedly. You know that I blogged for about 2 years into the wind and never visited anyone? I obviously was a bit of a slow starter and found that when I did visit others, it was hard not to come to think of them as my friends. I tell my husband that when I check the blogs everyday, it's really just socializing for me. This was a great post, especially for newbies!

Delia (Postcards from Asia) said...

Hi Sandy,
I've come over from Jen's blog (lifewithbooks.com) because her last post made me curious. Now I see why she likes your blog. :)
It's nice to meet you.

Linda said...

Great advice!

gautami tripathy said...

I like James's blog. I have known him for a long time!

Community has kept me going in a MASSIVE reading slump. Or I would have fallen apart!

Here is my post:

BBAW: Community thingy II

Marie Cloutier said...

Perfect! Showing your personality is so important. People come to you for curiosity or common interests but they stay because they LIKE you. :-)

bermudaonion said...

You are so right about the Golden Rule!

Jenners said...

Well said! My blogging mentor told me "Just comment and it will all happen." He was right.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

This is good advice. I feel like sometimes you find yourself following blogs not just because of the books they review, but because of their distinct personality. Bloggers like you make readers feel like they've found a friend!

Serena said...

imagine the mess I am...lol commenting is nearly non-existent!

Florinda said...

When you find blogs you like, paying attention to the blogs THEY like is a great way to find new ones. Check out their commenters, too. I'm pretty sure that's how I found you :-).

Heidenkind said...

"You've got perrrsonality, personality walk! Personality style! Personality talk! On the miracle mile!"

OMG, what is that song from??? That's going to bother me all day now.

Teresa said...

Our personality is such an important component of our blog that we have to remember to let it shine.

There is enough room in the blogosphere for everyone.

Great advice.

Trisha said...

Viral is definitely the best way to describe the discovery of new blogs!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Heidenkind will have us all singing karaoke now :)

Great advice, Sandy ... give, and you get it back in spades.

Erin said...

"Treat people as you would like to be treated" -- that sums it up beautifully. Great advice!

natalie @ book, line, and sinker said...

very good advice, sandy! i remember when i started my blog in 2007--a life blog back then--the whole thing was so intimidating. i posted almost daily for a whole month without a single comment. :( salvation came in the form of LISA, a book blogger (and TLC Book Tours captain). she left me my first comment and from there, i found other bloggers and friends. i shifted over to book blogging full time in 2009 and haven't looked back.

i do my best to post regularly, write reviews, and comment, but sometimes life just gets in the way. there are so many great people in the community and i love the support and friendship. every week i seem to find new (and awesome!) book bloggers--like YOU!

also, i finished up fallen by karin slaughter on audio and really enjoyed it. it was the perfect listen and i'm going to keep my eyes peeled for more of her stuff when i'm out and about. thanks again. :)

Alice said...

I so agree with you and I'm glad to be a part of the book blogging community. You, Sandy, rocks and so are so many others out there. I love all of you. (I may be slow in visiting but I do keep all of you and my Google Reader in mind all the time).

Michelle said...

I love the idea of sending an e-mail if someone is down. What a great, and easy, way to make someone's day!

I agree with your advice; blogging is one area where the golden rule is easy to apply and can reap so much in rewards.