Sunday, June 6, 2010

Monday Movie Meme - Lost Without Them


This week's Monday Movie Meme from the Bumbles was inspired by the end of the ever-popular TV series Lost. Our poor Bumbles are finding themselves with a little more time on their hands since the last episode. They are still having flashbacks of deserted islands, so they thought they would pose this question to us...what five movies would you want with you if you were stranded on a deserted island (with a TV and a DVD player of course)? Since I am currently bonding with my family, I thought we would all get in on the action this week. Here are the results:

Hubby's Five:

Blazing Saddles - that dumb humor gets him every time, me not always
Paint Your Wagon - I've only seen him watch this movie once, so I'm confused
Gone With the Wind - right there with him on this one
The Pianist - little dark for me to watch over and over, but agree its fabulous
Caddyshack - classic fun


Sandy's Five:

Baby Boom - a thinking woman's fantasy, would watch it a thousand times
When Harry Met Sally - a happy, feel good movie (especially the diner scene!)
Shawshank Redemption - the power of hope, a powerful message
Best in Class - not sure I could laugh harder and not pee my pants
The Shining - to satisfy my need for a little suspense and horror now and then
Daughter's Five:

Twilight - oh, so that is how she can re-enact every line with her brother...
Titanic - it's the Leo factor which I kinda get
Drag Me To Hell - Bad mommy
The Last Song - my fault, I took her to see it
Gone With the Wind - good girl!

Son's Five:

Forrest Gump - good boy!
LOTR Series - no problem with that one (Viggo fix)
Christmas Story - yes sir, a dozen times every holiday
Star Wars Series - can we really count series?
The Sound of Music - good boy!



So there you get a little taste for the obsessions of the Nawrot family. At least obsessions that are light enough to watch over and over again. What would you choose to take with you?




17 comments:

Ti said...

My five would be (in no particular order):

Breakfast at Tiffany's
When Harry Met Sally
Pretty in Pink
Some Like it Hot
Tootsie

Heidenkind said...

I really don't watch movies that much, and to be honest I'm drawing a complete blank except for the Pride & Prejudice miniseries. :P

caite said...

I must totally agree with Best in Class
beside that, I would add..

The Quiet Man
The Secret of Roan Inish
(yes, they are both set in Ireland)

and 2 yet to be decided.

Anonymous said...

I'm joining in with the Dirty Dozen blogfest on the 21st so my favourite 12 will be there but I have to say, I like the movies you've listed here (probably could have done without Twilight or Titanic though technically I own both so who am I to criticise). Thanks for sharing this.

Beth F said...

Paint Your Wagon? Okay, so I've seen it more than once -- but a desert island movie?

LOTR and Viggo -- yeah, man!

I could watch many of the Jane Austen movies over and over agian -- oh wait! I already do.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

There are a couple on your list that I haven't seen yet Sandy, but for the most part we could sit around and watch movies together. Fir myself i would have to add Bridget Jones Diary.

bermudaonion said...

I love that you got the whole family involved! My list would include Gone With the Wind and When Harry Met Sally for sure! I'd also want Annie Hall - after that, I'm not sure.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I'm impressed with your husband and Gone With the Wind - I always think of that as more of a female's movie! If I could only take 5, that would be a contender, but I think I would want mostly musicals, so I could sing along (which would be okay since I would be on a deserted island - otherwise....)

Zibilee said...

I loved these choices, and love the fact that you polled the entire family!! Some really good choices on those lists!!

The Bumbles said...

Well, your son broke my rules by using a series as 1 selection! That being said, of the 4 lists above, I'd probably want to be stranded with your son's movies the most ;0)

Kathleen said...

I would definitely bring Shawshank Redemption. It is one of my faves. I would have to add the Godfather trilogy to this list. Who can't pass the time watching a hugely dysfunctional family?

Michele said...

I'm with your son....LOTR. Of course, I would add Lonesome Dove and The Civil War documentary by Ken Burns. All chosen not just for their excellence, but their long, long length. It's a desert island, after all.

Jenners said...

This was interesting ... I would probably take:

Pulp Fiction
The Matrix
Harold and Maude
Oceans 11
Rushmore

Love Harry Met Sally though!
And your "bad mommy' comment cracked me up!

Lisa said...

I'm very impressed that your son would pick "The Sound of Music!"

Literary Feline said...

What a great topic! We often get the questions about what books we'd want with us if stranded so this is a nice twist on it. I think I'd have to go with your son's choices. :-)

The only ones I might add are Sleepless in Seattle, Independence Day, and Ever After.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Oh When Harry and Shawshank are two of my absolute favs! I think my 5 would be...
1) Amelie
2) V for Vendetta
3) Moulin Rouge
4) Pride & Prejudice (BBD version)
5) LOTR trilogy

It's hard to narrow it down!

Alice said...

Hey Sandy, I'd go for:

1) The Sound of Music
2) LOTR trilogy
3) The King and I
4) Sleepless in Seattle
5) The Gymnast