Wednesday, December 24, 2008

"Breaking Dawn" by Stephenie Meyer


Sigh. Merry Christmas to me. I finally finished the fourth and final book of the Twilight Series, all 754 pages of it. Now I can move on with my life! And I decided I'm not necessarily going to provide a full synopsis because I just couldn't do it justice. I loved the first book, Twilight, but was getting pretty annoyed, and even bored, with the next two. This final installment brought back the delight that I felt when I picked up the first book. No, the writing really didn't reach a higher literary level, and yes the story line was insane. But it worked, and I enjoyed every minute of it.
I must add a few words for the parents (and I don't think I'm spoiling too much here, unless you live in a cave). Bella and Edward get married and have a baby. There is some sex in this book, with shredded feather pillows, damaged beds and all that comes with it. No, Meyer does not describe the physical, nitty-gritty detail of the acts themselves, but the average 11 year old will know what is going on. It is your choice as to whether you want your kids taking notes.
Now I am off to prepare for our Christmas Eve celebration, our American/Polish wigilia. Peace on earth to all men, vampires and werewolves.

6 comments:

Beth F said...

Funny. I really liked the first one in the series. For the next two, I was caught up in the beginnings and endings but thought the middles could have been shortened and tightened. I didn't like the last book very much at all. But, duh!, I did have to read it.

And if she ever writes more (rumors of another one from Edward's view point), I'll be buying it and reading it!

Literary Feline said...

A friend of mine was just asking me if I thought this one would be appropriate for her 12 year old daughter. My friend read the first two books but hasn't been inclined to read the rest of the series while her daughter can't wait to read each book. :-)

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas! I'm stuck at work today. It will make tomorrow all the much sweeter. That's what I keep telling myself, anyway. Haha!

Sandy Nawrot said...

Beth, I know you are in the majority with your opinion on Breaking Dawn. Twilight followers were very upset! I really got into it though...my heart was even racing at the end, which is more than I can say for the two middle books.

Wendy, I am so sorry you are working today! Hopefully you can at least take off early! My 11 year old has been begging to read these books, and I have opted not to let her. Most of the kids in her class (at a Catholic school, no less) have read the books, which blows my mind. I think it is just the forbidden fruit of the moment. She'll have plenty of time for obsessive dramatic relationships later!

Michele said...

It's funny...I adored the first book and the rest were like watching a train wreck. I, too, had high hopes when I started Breaking Dawn, but I'm like Beth and the story just disentrigrated into....well, I'm not sure what. Oh well. Had to finish them all, and I supposed the editor/publisher/author was banking on that! (Literally!)

Anonymous said...

I wish you the best in this holiday season, full of joy and memories, and a healthy, bookish new year! Merry Christmas! :)

Brooklyn Bonny said...

Merry Christmas!!