Monday, December 15, 2008

Bad Cat


I know this is supposed to be a blog about books I read, but we had an incident in the Nawrot house this morning that I had to share with you. To the left is one of our four cats, Annie. She is my daughter's cat, and overall is an OK cat, except that she is a wire-chewer. I can't stress to you how much money we have spent replacing or fixing various wires that were the object of this cat's aggression/obsession/affection.
This morning I was on the computer (big shock) and I heard a commotion in the living room, under the Christmas tree. (You see what is coming, right?) I saw fur thrashing about and thought perhaps the cats were fighting for the napping spot under the tree. But about a second later, my blood ran cold because I saw Annie was under there by herself, and she was rolling and twitching, ornaments and wrapping paper were flying everywhere, tree shaking, cat pee spraying in every direction. Our dear kitty had decided to knaw a wire to the lights, and had promptly electrified herself. I am laughing now because she walked away, fairly indignant at having lost her faculties. However, I have to admit it freaked me out a bit.
As an aside, this is the same cat that fell into the pool this past summer. Luckily, my husband was grilling at the time and heard the splash and was able to coax her to swim to the steps. I'd say she is a couple lives short of a full set at this point.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Darn cat. I hate when that happens.

Sandy Nawrot said...

They are worse than kids sometimes. Awhile back, my cat, who is a freak but I love him, squeezed himself into the hole on the outside of the house where the stovetop exhaust comes out. He crawled all the way under the house and got stuck where the duct comes up under the stove. I had to get under there and rip the duct apart to get him free. I didn't know whether to kiss him or smack him...

Literary Feline said...

Oh my! That would definitely have had me in a panic. I am so glad she is okay. Definitely one of those funny-after-the-fact-moments but not in the middle of it. :-)

Kathie Smith said...

Wow. That would totally scare me. A friend of ours has a cat with the same wire-chewing habits (also a tabby.) I will not tell her this story - she would unplug everything!

Sandy Nawrot said...

My daughter keeps urging me to take her to the vet "just in case". Not gonna happen. If she is eating and pooping and walking properly, and her eyes aren't crossed, I think she'll live! I hope she is smart enough to learn her lesson.

Melissa said...

That would have freaked me out too. At least you can laugh about it now!