Sunday, January 6, 2013

Sunday Salon: Checking in

 Hey y'all!  It's been awhile, so I thought I'd touch base, let you know that I am alive and all is well.  I've been throwing all the caution to the wind, ignoring technology, eating and drinking like a fiend, and trying to reclaim my mojo.  

My husband and I packed up the kids and flew to Indiana for Christmas.  My sister joined us there for a few days, we watched movies, ate all my mom's great food, and lavished each other with cool gifts.  The PLAN was that on the 27th, hubby and I would leave the kids with the grandparents and fly out of Indianapolis to California for a week of anniversary celebrating.  However on Christmas evening, we saw that a huge winter storm was coming up from the south and would most likely prevent this from happening.  So we changed plans, and at 4:30am on the 26th my dad drove us to Chicago and we escaped from there.  Spent an extra night in San Francisco.  Which didn't suck.

From there we spent three nights at the Ritz in Half Moon Bay.  We golfed, soaked in the gorgeous scenery, visited wineries, got massages, drank and ate our way through the area.  Despite horrible forecasts of rain and cold, the weather cooperated and we had sunny (albeit chilly) skies.  One highlight was the Club Lounge at the Ritz, which came with our package.  All the food and wine you want, 24/7.  We could have eaten every meal there if we had wanted, and we certainly did take advantage for breakfast and lunch.

From there we meandered down the coast, checked out that famous 17 mile drive near Monterrey, then arrived at the Carmel Valley Ranch.  More golfing, eating and drinking ensued.  More gorgeous weather.  





















Now it is back to reality.  Kids go back to school tomorrow, and the calorie counting and exercising resumes.  Damage was done, but I'm not the least bit sorry.

I have been doing some great reading.  A cross-country flight will do that for you.  I read Emma Donoghue's "Slammerkin" for book club (my only comment is WTF), "Indiscretion" by Charles Dubow (read it in less than 24 hours...rocked my world), and "The Art Forger" by B.A. Shapiro (loved it).  This is all in print!  When I recently have been reading one or two a month!  Hence the dark blog.  

On audio I stalled out on "Invisible Murder" by Lene Kaaberbol.  It just wasn't working for me, but I may go back and finish it at some point.  I got to disc 5, so it would be crazy not to try.  I was inspired by Fizzy Jill's suggestion of a readalong for "The Shining" in February, so dammit, I uploaded it from the library and listened to it.  I read that book in high school and have watched the movie no less than like 15 or 20 times, so I just had to.  Man that was a fun listen!  I just started "Dare Me" by Megan Abbott.

So now I just have to WRITE REVIEWS for all these books!  I'm not planning on turning the blog back on again until February so I should be able to get a few things done before then.  But I'm not sweating it.  I honestly don't even know how many books I read in 2012!  Guess I should look at some point.  

I've been hopping on and off the blogs, trying to catch up with you.  If I haven't    caught up with you yet, I'll get there!  Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season.  I have missed you!


33 comments:

Beth F said...

Enjoy your offline life!! We'll all still be here.

bermudaonion said...

Your getaway sounds fantastic! I finished The Art Forger last night and felt the same way you did. Let's stop in Boston to see the Gardner Museum on our way to Sharon Springs.

Unknown said...

Your trip sounds fabulous! Welcome home.m keep just enjoying reading and listening. I'm anxious to get my routine back too.

Unknown said...

I thought you were going dark for January. I'm glad to see that was just some sort of internet rumor.

I may applay for a four week summer NEH program reading Steinbeck in Monteray. Like the one I did at Yale. It's between that one and a few others. You can only apply for two.

Your pictures have me thinking.

Unknown said...

Great to see that you're still popping back! Enjoy your blog free time - I hope you discover many more wonderful books now you're free to do what you like. :-)

Michele said...

What fun! So nice to you enjoying yourself and taking some time for you. We did some similar things (Arizona for golf!), but holy cow, I am ready for the kids to head back to school!

Amy said...

It sounds like you had a great trip! Also, yay for great reading!

Ti said...

I saw your gorgeous pics on FB. Looks like you had a fab time! Much deserved, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Wow it sounds like the trip was absolutely perfect and exactly what you needed!

I also finished The Art Forger and really liked it. I'm reading Indiscretion this month and you've cranked up my level of excitement for that one too!

Glad to hear from you! We should get together soon. :)

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

Sounds wonderful!!! Enjoy! I've done a bit of damage with eating and drinking as well, but will get back on track tomorrow!
I'm a little bit sorry...but not a lotta bit ;)

Kathleen Richardson said...

Thanks for more ideas on books to read.

Julie P. said...

Missing you but glad you are having a wonderful time! I did some major damage over Christmas too! Back to eating better.

Molly said...

Sonds like an absolutely delightful anniversary celebration - one that I hope to recreate within the next couple of years :)

I wish you a joyous new year, Sandy!

Jenners said...

You sure do know how to take a break! Sounds fabulous!!!!

Heidenkind said...

Sounds like blogging break was just what the doctor ordered. :)

Alyce said...

How wonderful that you got some time away with your husband! It looks and sounds fabulous!

The Shining is one of the few Stephen King movies that I've seen, and the only horror movie I can think of that I've seen multiple times. With as creepy as the movie is, I don't have any inclination to read the book. I'm sure it's better, but the movie was scary enough for me. :)

Have a wonderful January! I'll definitely miss your posts, but understand the need for time off.

Literate Housewife said...

I'm glad you had a great Christmas and anniversary celebration. A day in San Fran certainly wouldn't suck. :)

If your reaction to Slammerkin is WTF, I've got to read it!!!!!

Carrie K. said...

Sounds like a wonderful holiday! And yay for finding time to get some reading done. We are entering the real world again tomorrow, too, so I'll be thinking of you as we jump into homeschooling and you jump into the school/activity routine at your place.

Darlene said...

It sounds like a wonderful holiday Sandy. It's nice to just get away from it all once in a while and that includes the blog. Mine has been pretty slack the last few months. I'm going to give it a go in this new year and see if I can get back into it all. Enjoy your time!

Zibilee said...

I have listened to about 8 or 10 audios over my break, and I am really happy that I have some stuff to post! I thought I would go black forever not having any luck with print for the longest time, and audio seems to be doing the trick. Several of the ones that I listened to were favorites of yours, as I recall. It's been nice to take a break, but I think that I can manage to post once a week, besides, I get lonely without my blogging buddies! Happy Anniversary to you as well. Ours is this month and we have decided that we are going to learn to play guitar together. We will see how that develops :)

Melissa said...

So glad to see you've enjoyed your break and time away! I need a book to rock my world, so I'm off to check that one out!

Brooke said...

I adore Half Moon Bay, but have never stayed at the Ritz. It's a must-do vacation for me one day!

caite said...

Nice to see you are still around!
Hey write a few reviews for me too? Come on....

Alice said...

Sandy, you're still alive! LOL! I feel good just reading your post and I hope you had a wonderful time with your family. Well, I see you when you're back in action. Rock on!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

You have been busy - fun busy! You gave me a few books to consider here. I am curious about Emma Donaghue's.

Kathleen said...

How exciting Sandy! You were in my neck of the woods and at two of my favorite places. I love both hotels and have been going to Carmel Valley Ranch for years. It's so great since they remodeled. Carmel Valley is one of my favorite places, great whether without the fog you get right on the coast but so close to lovely downtown Carmel!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Yeah, Indiana got smashed by snow. You're lucky you got out, your trip looks amazing! I'm joining Yhe Shining readalong, Jill's enthusiasm is contagious!

Anonymous said...

You were in Carmel and didn't call??? Hmph.

;-)

Literary Feline said...

It sounds like you are enjoying your break, Sandy! Your holidays sounded fanstastic, if not busy.

I'm glad you liked Shapiro's book. I was thinking of listening to the audio version (trying to listen to more audios this year--got one under my belt already!).

Have a great rest of the month, Sandy!

Marie Cloutier said...

OH, looks beautiful there! What a wonderful getaway!

Melody said...

I'm glad you'd a nice vacation, Sandy! Looking forward to reading all those book reviews!!

Anonymous said...

I've been bad about checking your blog so I'm late saying have a good break! I'm coming back from SC this week so maybe we'll catch up with each other. I devoured Indiscretion, too, but it's going to be hard to write about. It really is in the telling!

Anonymous said...

Unlimited wine and great food? And the kids are with the grandparents?
Sounds like heaven!