Thursday, December 2, 2010

Daily Guideposts 2011: A Spirit-Lifting Devotional




Every morning, my husband and I wake up, bumble around for a few minutes, make the kids their breakfasts, then read our daily devotionals. Nothing heavy or intense, just thoughts to keep in mind for the day. Some stick with us, some don't, but it is a comfortable habit we've gotten into. So I was thrilled when Shelby from Phenix Publicity contacted me about reviewing the 2011 Daily Guideposts. This is exactly the type of thing we were looking for in the new year.

The Daily Guideposts have been published for 35 years, believe it or not, and has gained a huge following. With more than fifty-five contributing writers, it has become a real compilation of wisdom and touching stories to help you in your day-to-day life. This year, the theme is "Growing in Love" - exploring the ways God uses people and things in our daily lives to help them grow in love for their family and friends as they become closer to Him.

Obviously, I've not read every single day...I'm saving that for the real deal. But I flipped through and read a number of entries. These are real stories about real people that are heartfelt. Stories of hope and commitment, of overcoming struggles and worries and hardship.

In addition, there are special features. At the beginning of each month, one woman pops in to talk about downsizing her cluttered cabin and the perspective it gave to her life. Mid-month, another woman, whose husband is retiring after 37 years as a pastor, shares the process of saying goodbye to an old life and welcoming a new one. At the end of every month, we hear about life lessons discovered in letters found abandoned in an old basement. And the list goes on. We have a special guest during Holy Week. February features a gentleman who found hope after a shattered love affair. This is all good stuff that each and every one of us can learn from, whether you attend church every Sunday or not.

I purposefully waited to post this review until after Thanksgiving, because I strongly believe this would be a perfect Christmas gift for someone in your life. It has a beautiful cover (I can't turn away from a picture of a lighthouse!), and has a gold ribbon attached to mark your place. Give it some thought. There is someone out there in your life that would treasure a book that would lift their spirits each and every day of the year.

Once again, thanks Shelby and Phenix Publicity for offering me this opportunity to share the love!






12 comments:

Molly said...

This is the third review that I have seen for this delightful book and I am convinced that I should buy it for my 2011 devotional. I used devotionals faithfully for several years, but then slowly gave up that morning habit. I find that I am more calm and centered throughout the day if I allow myself a few minutes to read such reflective essays.

Julie P. said...

I would love this book too and I already know a few people for whom it would be the perfect gift.

Zibilee said...

I also try to read a daily devotional everyday, though sometimes I forget. I think this sounds like an excellent book, and like one that I would love to own. I am going to have to ask my husband to consider this for a stocking stuffer. It's hard to find a really inspiring devotional, but this one sounds like it hits the mark. Thanks for sharing this review, Sandy!

Meg @ write meg! said...

Sounds like a lovely way to start your day! I think we could all use a little fuel and uplifting material to start us off right.

Kim Frazier said...

Getting caught up on you after a few days of busy-ness. I am putting this one on my Christmas list. I used to read Guidepost all the time and got away from it. Time to get back into the inspiration! You have great timing!

Darlene said...

I saw this book over at Staci's too and I think it just sounds like a wonderful book to have for the new year. That's so sweet how you and your husband do that - that's time well spent together.

Iliana said...

This isn't really my kind of reading but can I just say how cool that you and your husband do this? I think it's so important to have those moments where you let go of all the craziness of the day to just think on what matters most.

Jenners said...

I'm very impressed that you guys do this every morning. It is a good way to start your day.

Melissa said...

This is a great way to start your day, and really something I need to do. I keep meaning to, but haven't found a book I really like. This one must just do the trick for me!

caite said...

you know I LOVE that cover!

Alice said...

What a delightful and purposeful book. I have a few devotionals in my personal library and I used to do it daily. I need to get back into the habit. In my new apartment in Penang, it's pretty much uncluttered but if I'm not careful, I'll start piling on things again.

Kathleen said...

I read a review of this one someplace else and thought to myself that it would be the perfect book to keep in my desk drawer at work so I could read a short devotion everyday here at the office. Your review is reminding me that I need to get this one or something similar to use in 2011.