Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday Movie Meme - Wonder Woman


After a two week hiatus from the Monday Movie Meme, we are back and ready for more fun with the Bumbles! This week, we are talking about great heroines, or in other words...girl power. I will concede that Molly and Andy have come up with some respectable ladies of their own (check them out!), some of them that would have been on my list, but I don't want to steal any of them, so here are mine (I'll just tell you up front, you won't find any Angelina Jolie here friends):

1. Scarlett (Vivien Leigh) - Gone With the Wind: Granted, there are times when you would love to smack the woman, but she turns all tough and gritty and resourceful somewhere in the middle of the movie, and you have to get behind her.

2. Sara Connor (Linda Hamilton) - Terminator 2: This role will FOREVER be the one I think of first when anyone says "female bad ass". Did you see the arms on the woman? At one point in my younger years, it was my goal to have arms like that. I never quite made it, but boy was it inspirational.

3. The Bride (Uma Thurman) - Kill Bill Volumes 1 and 2: This movie is the epitome of girl power. Uma takes on several dozen (hundreds?) of ninja assassins and leaves them in little chopped up pieces in her wake. I LOVE these movies.

4. Margie Gunderson (Frances McDormand) - Fargo: Only the Cohen brothers would create a pregnant policewoman with an overblown, Minnesota accent as their heroine, and that is why we love them. Any woman who has ever been with child will appreciate Marge, who feels nauseous when she witnesses an execution-style shooting, allows the feeling to pass, then is hungry again.

5. Elizabeth Bennett (Jennifer Ehle) - Pride and Prejudice: You have to love a girl with a mind of her own, and isn't afraid to speak it! To the dashing Colin Firth! Even after she has seen him wet in his white, poofy shirt! You put him in his place girl. You're in charge!


What say you? Do you have any favorite ladies on the silver screen?


14 comments:

caite said...

you may want to check that first one {{cough..Vivien Leigh..cough}} again.

you are soooo right about Frances McDormand. That character is such an unlikely, great, female character. and yes, Hamilton in T2...wow.

The Gal Herself said...

Katie Scarlett! I don't see how any list of heroines could be complete without her. I wish I'd thought to include #2 and #5 on my list. Nicely played.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

That is so funny that you confounded Scarlett O'hara in your brain with Maureen. But heck, Maureen would have been good too, and in fact, she was VERY feisty in movies. I remember one where she punched some guy (John Wayne maybe?) in the nose!

bermudaonion said...

I wanted to be Scarlett O'Hara after I read Gone With the Wind - sure she's selfish and self-absorbed, but boy, is she tough!

Susan said...

Oh, I love Margie Gunderson (and Frances McDormand) in Fargo!! I forgot about that one.

I love Maureen O'Hara's spunk and I believe Jill was thinking of McClintock, one of my favorite O'Hara/Wayne movies.

I'm playing this week, too. Who could resist such a theme?!

Susan said...

BTW, I loved your six-word story on my post!

Zibilee said...

I love your list! I would have to agree with all your choices!!

Trisha said...

I am in complete agreement on Sarah Connor. I swear I had a chick crush on her when I was in grade school. She just kicked so much ass. I mean who needs Chuck Norris when you have Sarah Connor?

Unknown said...

Oohh, I actually have yet to see the PBS version of Pride and Prejudice with Jennifer Ehle, but hear she is excellent as Elizabeth Bennett! I'll have to check it out soon :))

Iliana said...

Good call on Margie Gunderson! I wouldn't have thought of her but definitely girl power.

What about Sigourney Weaver from Alien? She's another wonder woman!

Michele said...

Oh thank goodness....no Angelina Jolie. I would have had to boycott you had you listed her. ;P

ds said...

I love Frances McDormand! You know she's married to one of the Coen brothers, yes? (I like all of their movies)

Great choices, as always.

The Bumbles said...

Fargo is so awesome. That whole wood chipper scene cracks me up - I totally get that sick humor. Marge was so great - and her hubby was so sweet and supportive. Such a unique movie - a preggo heroine saving the day. I could go on and on with that cast, the plot, the writers & directors...

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I love your picks. What fantastic women characters!