Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Mid-Week Audio Book Meme

Audio Book Week fun continues! Today, Jen has made it easy for us...a few quick questions:


Audiobook are you currently reading/you read most recently: The Girl That Kicked the Hornet's Nest - Stieg Larsson (narrated by the lovely Simon Vance)

Impressions?: Can't listen fast enough! Of course, I may go into a funk when it is over because that is all there is.

How long you’ve been listening to audiobooks: Well, technically my husband and I listened to a Tony Hillerman mystery on a road trip that we took about 15 years ago, but that was an anomaly. If we want to mark the moment I dove in and never came back up for air? This is where my reading history at the library comes in handy and helps out a poor, forgetful girl. According to the records, it was January 2008.

I will also add that this adventure began because of my BFF Michele. Audios were the ONLY way she read books, because of her busy life. I'd been hearing her talk about the joys of audios for years, and I finally caved...and never looked back.

First audiobook you ever listened to: If we don't want to count the Tony Hillerman novel I mentioned above, then the answer would be "Bones to Ashes" by Kathy Reichs (Temperance Brennan series).

Favorite audiobook title: Next you will be asking me my favorite child! Overall, though, it must be the Harry Potter Series. It is magical.

Favorite narrator: Oh, now this is a really toughie (NOT). Of course it is Simon Vance. He brings his audios to life, but in addition to that, his voice is oh so silky smooth and puts me into a sort of trance. Not to take anything away from the dozens of other narrators that I would actively seek out in an audio...Barbara Rosenblatt, Jonathan Davis, Julia Gibson, Jim Dale, Dick Hill or Tom Stechschulte.

How do you choose what to listen to versus read? It is very easy. I listen to everything I can, limited only by what isn't carried by my library. I generally listen faster than I read, so if I am even mildly interested and there is an audio for it, I order it from the library and it gets uploaded!


Tomorrow, I will talk about all times I listen to my audio books (hint: just about all the time except sleeping, but I will go into a little bit more depth...).








15 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

How do you listen? Do you transfer to an ipod?

John said...

I just recently learned that our library has audiobooks for download through Netlibrary.com. It's a pretty cool FREE service that has a nice selection of books. Some libraries also use Overdrive.com. Another free resource I use is Podiobooks.com. I fall back on these options when I run out of credits at audible.com. :-)

Beth F said...

Yep, I listen to whatever I can get! And who can chose just one narrator?

bermudaonion said...

I'm experiencing Simon Vance for the first time right now because of you and Jennifer!

Jen - devourer of books said...

You crack me up comparing audiobooks to your children, Sandy! I'm also interested in the fact that you listen faster than you read. Is your listening speed actually faster, or do you simply have a lot more time to listen?

Zibilee said...

Have you ever considered joining audible for those hard to find titles? They have a pretty good subscription service where you can get 2 or 3 a month for a flat rate. Their selection is awesome too! Just a thought.

Nise' said...

My sons (22 & 18) are appalled that with as much reading as I do I have not read Harry Potter. Maybe I will listen instead. They say the same thing about LOTR.

Anonymous said...

You've really made me want to try the Harry Potter audios. Maybe on the next family road trip...

Frances said...

As I look about my house and think of all the things I want to accomplish this summer, audio books seem a better and better idea. Can still enjoy a book while painting, gardening, driving to the beach , etc.

caite said...

remember, there may be an almost completed 4th book out there...

Kathleen said...

That's really cool that you enjoy them so much!

Just Mom said...

I'm quite jealous that you are listening to Hornet's Nest - wish I was! I forgot about listenign to audios while traveling in the "olden days" - we used to get them at Cracker Barrel and then exchange then at a Cracker Barrel further along! Here's my meme.

Anonymous said...

Please check out http://www.audiobookcommunity.com - the first social network for audiobook fans. Also lots of great audio straight from publishers at the Get Caught Listening group. Happy listening!

Iliana said...

I've got the same question as rhapsodyinbooks - do you listen on your iPod or CDs?

Serena said...

Wow, since 2008 only...I thought you would have "read" them longer than that...you sound so knowledgeable!