Friday, January 8, 2010

The Adoration of Jenna Fox - Mary E. Pearson


Well, I didn't stand much of a chance of NOT reading this book after all the gushing love it has received. I heard about it first from Catherine at Words World and Wings. She DEFIED me to put the book down. Then Amy at My Friend Amy gave it five stars. Not long after that, Carrie at Books and Movies went all crazy over it. Alright already. I succumbed and ordered the book from the library.

So here is the deal. I am bound by the Book Blogger's unwritten rule of etiquette to not spoil anything. And this is just one of those books that, under these rules, will allow maybe three sentences. Let's see:

It is sometime in the not-so-distant future. Jenna has emerged from an 18-month-long coma after a devastating accident. She doesn't recognize her surroundings, her parents or grandmother, and she remembers nothing. She watches home videos of her life, a life in which she was the perfect, adored child, grasping at any thread that might reveal her past, her history. She is awkward in her movements, and awkward with her limited social interactions. She can't eat solid food. Her parents are stiff and uncomfortable and protective, and will tell her next to nothing. There are so many unanswered questions.

Well, that was a few more than I thought. Still, I must stop here, and tell you that despite the fact that this book is less than 300 pages, it is stuffed full of beauty, humanity, and questions that should make us all pause in thought. How far will a parent go to protect their child? Where do ethics end and desperation begin? What is the ultimate cost of these actions, these ethics?

You will be immediately sucked into the intrigue and the beautiful, delicate prose, and won't be able to put the book down (Catherine was quite right about that.) You will fall in love with Jenna, and her determination to go her own way. While the answer to the mystery isn't all that difficult to solve (I had a pretty good idea of what was going on by page 40), it was still amazing and slightly creepy to watch it play out. The most terrifying thing of all? That the future in which Jenna lives is not too difficult to fathom from where we stand right now. We are on this path people. The idea is nightmare-worthy, presented here in the most delightful package.

This is one of those rare novels that you will not forget anytime soon. Read it. Love it. Adore it.

5 out of 5 stars


28 comments:

Melody said...

OK, you all have convinced me to get this book!! :D

Jackie (Farm Lane Books) said...

I hadn't felt the need to get this book until I saw your review - I'm going to add this to the wish list now!

JoAnn said...

You've convinced me, too!

Julie P. said...

Count me in too! I already wanted to read this book b/c of so many outstanding reviews, but you definitely make it sound like a must-read.

Staci said...

I absolutely loved this book and wouldn't hesitate either to recommend it to others!!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Fine, I'm logging on to the library right now!

Anna said...

Serena let me borrow her copy last year, and having read your review, I plan to dig it out this weekend and read it soon. You've made me really curious!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

caite said...

Well, it doesn't get any better than that does it. Ok, seems I have to get my hands on a copy of this one. Darn ;-)

Serena said...

I read this book in 2008 and it made my top books for that year. I loved and adored it. I highly recommend it!

Trisha said...

Okay, I have got to read this. I put it on my list after reading the review at blogger A's site; bought it after seeing in on blogger B and C's; moved it up the list of TBR after blogger D featured it; and now here you are with a wonderful review. Clearly it's time to read this book.

Alyce said...

I've somehow missed this book, and I'm wondering how because this seems right up my alley. This one is going straight to the wish list.

Melissa said...

I've had this one on my WL for a while as I keep reading great reviews!

Iliana said...

Wow, what a great way to start the reading year. With a book to adore! You've got me convinced too and I will add it to my list!

Meg @ write meg! said...

Just as you were convinced by so many other awesome bloggers, you've now convinced me, too! I'll be adding this one to my TBR stack as soon as I can :)

bermudaonion said...

I've seen a lot of great reviews of this one too. I've got some amazon money and just may have to get buy it.

Honest Woman said...

I need to stop reading your blog because I have entirely too many books on my "to be read" shelf. I'm sold on this one...thanks!!

Cathy said...

Sandy, your review was at least as good as the book. Beautifully written. Have you ever thought of writing a book yourself?

Jenners said...

And now you have convinced me ... it is going on the wish list! Well done ... and I love that cover.

Carrie K. said...

Oh, I'm so glad you loved it as much as I did!

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

This sounds awesome. It has been making the rounds for awhile but you have really sold me here.

Michele said...

Alright already, I'mm off to download on the Kindle!

Ana S. said...

*smacks self for not having read this yet* Must amend that! Fantastic review, Sandy.

Amy @ My Friend Amy said...

I'm so glad you read and loved this one, too! And you wrote a gorgeous review!

Kathleen said...

You have totally convinced me to put this on hold at the library right now! Awesome review!

Darlene said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one Sandy. It's been on my wishlist for a while.

Zibilee said...

After reading your excellent review of the book, I went off and downloaded a sample to my Kindle. I am hoping that I love it as much as you do and that we can discuss it at some point when I finish it. Great review, you've managed to make me very excited about this book!

Alice said...

Hi Sandy, I was so tempted to get this book each time I visit the bookstores but because of my book ban, I didn't. You've now convinced me to just DO IT. LOL!

Heidenkind said...

Well, crud. What if I don't like it?