Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sunday Salon: Holiday crud

Good morning friends!  I'm a little foggy this morning - an after-effect of a very busy week.  By all accounts, the week should not have been so crazy but it is holidays.  The holidays demand our exhaustion.

My daughter brought her crud up to the beach last week for Thanksgiving, and my son and I effectively caught it.  It was a particularly bad strain, to the point that even now, after a week, we are still feeling its effects.  My son actually only missed a full day of school, and otherwise I drugged him up and brought him in a little late so that he didn't get behind.  So I was feeling crappy, but there is so much to do!    

After some struggling and crud-induced emotion, I got all of our inside lights and tree up (the outside is my husband's job).  What is the deal with pre-lit trees and the strings of lights that last one season???  Gah!  I did some yard work, cleaned the house, and went golfing.  (I played like hell, but I figured fresh air would be good for me).  I took my daughter shopping at the mall FOR SIX HOURS on Saturday.  The mall was a mess and my nerves were shot, but she loves this tradition we have and I was happy to spend the time with her.

It is the season for all the good, potentially Oscar-worthy movies to come out.  So last Sunday my mom and I went to see "12 Years a Slave", and then we all piled into the car on Friday night to see "Captain Phillips".  Both excellent movies...well-acted and based on true stories.  I'm HOPING that we might get out to see The Book Thief today, but we will see how things roll.
Last night was my husband's annual holiday party.  Also known as "the event where my feet kill me, I talk and drink too much and don't eat enough".  After being at the mall all day, I totally did not feel like partying but I did my wifely duty and made my rounds and visited with everyone.

So as you can imagine, after all that, I'm averaging about 5 pages a day in my print reading.  I started "The Watch That Ends the Night" about the Titanic, but I couldn't get invested.  It really is good, I just need to read it at a time when I'm not so distracted.  So I started "Death of the Black-Haired Girl" by Robert  Stone that I got from the library.  My husband told me this is supposed to be THE book to read these days, according to some source.  Crazy good writing, but again, I can't get into anything.  It's that time of year.

On audio I finished "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell.  I can't even begin to verbalize how much I love Rainbow Rowell.  I hope you know what it means when I tell you that she is right up there with Tana French and Mo Hayder, for a million different reasons obviously.  Girlfriend has some serious talent and makes the literary world a better place.  *sigh*  Now I'm fairly close to finishing the hilarious David Sedaris in "Let's Explore Diabetes in Owls".  He makes me laugh.  You can always count on him for that.

Today's agenda:  Shuttle my daughter to the shelter and back for her six hour volunteer day.  Run a few errands.  Encourage my husband to get his rear end to Costco and put up the outside lights.  Maybe see The Book Thief.  Flog kids to get their chores and homework done.  Plan dinners for the week.  Read for 10 minutes (heh heh).  Hope you all have a wonderful day filled with holiday stuff!  

  


14 comments:

JoAnn said...

I really want to see 12 Years a Slave and The Book Thief, too! My husband's party is next weekend.. not my favorite thing, either. Outside lights are done, but we've had a dark, undecorated tree in the house for a week… time to get going. At least I finally ordered our holiday cards. Don't even want to think about shopping. Hope you're feeling better today, Sandy.

Unknown said...

I have no desire to go to the movies, but I would like an hour of two for reading today. Alas, there is a big stack of history tests waiting on the dining room table.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I actually need to go the mall but I can't bear the idea! I know it would kill me. But it's so funny you have that tradition. It kind of reminds me of Carmela and her daughter Meadow going to tea every year on Meadow's birthday. LOLOL

And yes, re RR. Don't you feel like you want to take her books to bed with you? except yours are on audio so maybe that would hurt or something...

bermudaonion said...

I hope you're all back to normal soon.

Captain Phillips made me sick so I had to leave the theater early. It's loosely based on a true story - there's a lot of controversy surrounding it. 12 Years a Slave made me feel sick too but not physically - that movie is disturbing but so good. The Book Thief is wonderful too! I've got plans to see Kill Your Darlings this week.

Anonymous said...

So many good movies coming out right now! We did make it to Catching Fire, and hope to make it to the second Hobbit installment, but that's probably it. Simply too expensive to take a family of six to every single one we want to see! We watch a lot of them on DVD.

Glad the crud is finally going away - that's no fun. And Fangirl.... I know! I am so excited I still have more books by her left to read.

Iliana said...

Oh girl, you deserve a prize for braving the mall for that long! :)

Can't wait to hear if you went to see The Book Thief and what you thought! I must have been living in a bubble because I didn't realize until recently that they had turned the book into a movie! I love that book and can't imagine a film.

Heidenkind said...

I hope you feel better! It's true that the holidays always seem hectic, but better to be busy than not, right?

Bybee said...

I can't wait for 12 Years... to come to the cinemas here in Korea. I'm sure it'll be shown because Brad Pitt is in it, even if his part is small.

Beth F said...

We're into the holiday party season. And just in time for it to be too cold and icy to be outside ... Yeah, I don't even want to think about the scale....

Ti said...

I spent three hours at the mall on Saturday and nearly threw myself off the second story. I wore the wrong shoes, was hungry and did not get anything accomplished at all. It was a waste of time. Everyone was so freakin perky it made me mad.

Anonymous said...

My husband's party is this week and my usual party spirit is missing this year :(
It sounds like you were able to stay active even with the crud.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Woe you really pushed through not feeling well! Hope you re feeling better now. I want to see 12 Years a Slave and Captain Phillips. I think Captain Phillips (or I thought) comes out in Red Box in the next few weeks.

Literary Feline said...

Oh no, Sandy! I'm sorry you've been sick--and over the holidays.

I want to see 12 Years a Slave. I really liked Captain Phillips and am glad to hear you did too.

I'm not going to be able to see The Book Thief in the theater, but that's okay. Same with Catching Fire. I am determined to see The Hobbit in the theater though. Hopefully I can convince the in-laws to babysit while I go to the movies with my husband.

Hopefully once the holidays settle down you will get back into your reading again.

Have a great week, Sandy!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

What a whirlwind! We finally put Christmas lights up at our house for the first time this year! I absolutely love coming home to that.