Sunday, December 29, 2013

Sunday Salon: Back from the void

 It's been a long time since I've missed a Sunday Salon, but I did so last week!  Just too much going on, including a rather enjoyable soiree at our house last Saturday night, and preparing for Christmas.

Speaking of which, how was everyone's Christmas?  Ours was good!  We went to 4:00 Mass on Christmas Eve WITH both kids, which is a miracle.  Then we had our traditional Polish feast and a tour of nearby light displays.  We had Christmas both at my mom and dad's house next door, then at our house, with more eating.  Lots and lots of eating.  We ended the day at my friend's house for more eating and drinking.

With all that eating and drinking, I'm pleased to inform you that I got a Fitbit Flex and am having a good time with it.  Let me know if you want to friend Sandy Slug.  I also got some golf stuff, some new perfume, two books (Pioneer Woman cookbook, and Lost Girls:  An Unsolved American Mystery), an Amazon gift certificate, running socks, a new blender, and the piece de resistance...the Breaking Bad Complete Series including 55 hours of special features, a Los Pollos Hermanos apron, all packaged in a money barrel!!!!  I almost cried.  It is just too beautiful.

The only thing my son wanted from his grandparents this year was a Playstation4, and of course none could be found anywhere.  So my mom and I set out in separate directions on December 26th at 6:00am and stood in line for the 7am opening at two different Targets to fight over whatever inventory they might have.  My mom scored one of four in stock (my Target had none) so all was saved in my son's eyes.

The kids and I have been working out at Andre with some regularity.  We've seen a couple movies as well...The Hobbit:  Desolation of Smaug (pretty good on 3D, but way to string out a story Peter Jackson) and American Hustle which we LOVED.  I'm sure we'll see more before the vacation is over, but I'm not sure which one.  Anchorman 2?  The Wolf of Wall Street?  Philomena?  Nebraska?

So reading!  Or the lack thereof.  To cover off the last two weeks, I did finish "Death of the Black-Haired Girl" in time to get it back to the library.  It was OK, I'm glad I read it but it didn't blow my mind.  I also just finished "The Rosie Project" which was completely sweet and adorable, and a great easy read for the holidays.

On audio, I listened to "Police" by Jo Nesbo, the maybe final installment of the series, but who the hell knows.  I don't trust the man any more.  It was a solid mystery and I was highly entertained, but in my heart I've grown weary of his manipulations.  He has messed with me too many times.  I also listened to "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed, and despite the mixed reviews, I really enjoyed it.  Actually I loved it.  I guess while I have not lived the type of life that Cheryl did, I can respect someone who turns to physical exertion and nature to purge demons.  I am now four discs into "Native Son" and WOW.  Even though this book was written in 1940, it packs a huge punch, and even early in the book I've found my emotions in turmoil.  Rage, frustration, sympathy...at the white and black characters in the book.

So with the new week, we are looking at some shopping (my daughter has some gift cards burning a hole in her pocket), maybe a day at Sea World before our passes expire, and celebrating New Year's Eve with friends.  On January 1st though, it will be time to pay the piper, and pay up for all the excesses lately.  And don't forget about James' Triple Dog Dare starting January 1st!  Hoard your books now (haha)!

Hope you all have a great remainder of your holidays.  Does anyone have big plans?  New Year's resolutions?  I need to come up with some of my own, since my right eyelid has been twitching for two weeks straight.  Which I'm pretty sure isn't a good sign.

See you in 2014!    

  


15 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Well would people stop giving you perfume? LOLOL

bermudaonion said...

The trailers for The Wolf of Wall Street caught my eye so I wanted to see the movie. I'm listening to the audiobook right now and I'm thinking I won't go see the movie. Jordan Belfort is such an egotistical jerk, I just don't think I want him to have any of my money.

Vance and Adam saw The Hobbit and American Hustle and liked both of them.

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

Boy, do I know what you mean by eating and drinking and drinking and eating. Yeesh. I have so been off my clean eating wagon. I'm also signed up for the Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon in Feb, and guess who has also been off the training wagon?? Yeah...may take me 6 hours to walk the 1/2 :(

Iliana said...

Happy Holidays, Sandy! Sounds like you guys have been having a great time. Ours has been a quiet holiday season which is wonderful. Missed having a lot of family in town but another time. Somehow you'd think I would have done a lot of reading but not that much has been happening. Ah well... Enjoy the rest of your holiday!

Anonymous said...

My library has Wild on Overdrive, and I've had it on my wish list forever. Sounds like I should get to it!

I was offered a review copy of Rosie Project, but I think my hatred of the cover influenced my decision to say no. After reading the review in Bookmarks, I'm regretting that.

Ti said...

I am sick of food in general. I was sick of it after Thanksgiving but now I am really sick of it. I'd skip eating if it were just me.

I managed to see Saving Mr. Banks. It was good. Thompson was very good. Hanks, not so much but I didn't think he had much to work with (script wise).

Today, the girl has been tossing her cookies and now my stomach is not so hot. We always seem to get hit with the same stuff at the same time. I like to think it's God's way of telling me what she needs. Right.

Amy said...

aw you sound busy and happy what could be better? :)

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Yay for the Fitbit! I have one... somewhere :)

And I agree on the new Hobbit film..so long!

Anonymous said...

I loved the Hobbit:Smaug but agree that it was just too long. Still too long of something I loved is heaven compared to too long and something I hated (cough) Wolf on Wall Street). Don't see that one with your kids. You might be able to handle it but they might not want to see such things with their mom next to them :)

Heidenkind said...

I read Native Son in high school and I remember having a similar reaction. It's definitely a visceral novel.

Happy New Year's!

Beth F said...

SOunds so busy and fun! We still haven't seen the very end of Breaking Bad ... waiting for the episodes to come onto streaming.

Unknown said...

Thanks for giving us a little plug here. I'm actually thinking of going to a bookstore later today....

Florinda said...

Sigh. We REALLY need to watch Breaking Bad straight through. One of these centuries... And glad to know you liked American Hustle--I really want to see it! I made a last-minute decision to take a couple of days off at the end of this week, so I won't have to be at work until January 6, and I hope to spend some quality book time!

Anna said...

You certainly have been keeping busy! Happy new year!

Unknown said...

I've had a few weeks off blogging so I'm only just getting to your old posts.

I've been eating so much too. Today is my first day back on the 5:2 diet for a month and it is so hard. It is amazing how easy it is to get used to eating that much - I think this is going to be one of my hardest fasts ever. Hope your exercise plan goes well!

It is interesting to read your thoughts on WILD - I felt the same way. She may lead a very different lifestyle, but I still admired her.