Sunday, December 1, 2013

Sunday Salon: Giving Thanks

 Good morning friends!  I'm a little late in posting this morning because we were having Internet issues.  I was all bug-eyed over this, and was accused of being obsessed.  Guilty as charged.

We just got back from the beach late yesterday afternoon, which gave me a sad.  But I do need to remember to be thankful we were able to go.  Time spent in St. George recharges me, and I know that we will go again.

Not that I cared, but the weather up there was DAMN COLD!  In the 30's at night, with a howling wind and some rain.  But we still managed to get our bike riding in, some shopping, and beach walking.  And reading of course.  We had a great time putting away oysters, shrimp, clams, crab, grouper, you name it.  Hours fresh.  We also prepared some yummy comfort food for Thanksgiving.  Here are some pictures I took when I wasn't being blown away.
  







I rarely touched my computer while I was at the beach.  I know I've said this a few times in the last month or so, but I feel liberated.  I don't feel any kind of commitment or pressure and it is nice!

As much relaxing as I've done in the last week, I didn't really set the world on fire with the reading.  It is hard to concentrate on much of that when you are surrounded with family, but Thanksgiving is all about family, so I'm OK with that.  I did finish Mo Hayder's "Pig Island" which was creepy and twisty, and deliciously ambiguous and open at the end.  She is really good at this leaving-the-reader-hanging thing, and I admire her for it.  I expect to pick up "The Watch That Ends the Night" by Allan Wolf today at some point.

On audio I also finished "The Cuckoo's Calling".  My opinion has not changed since last week.  Sort of a pedestrian, plodding mystery but the characters were excellently drawn and the audio performance was perfection.  I'm now a couple of discs into Rainbow Rowell's "Fangirl" (LOVE HER).

My parents are down now for the winter, so we will be doing stuff with them today.  My dad and husband want to go to the annual car show to touch all the pretty toys, and I think my  mom and I and maybe a kid are going to the movies.  Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving week, and I look forward to catching up with all of you and see what is going on. 

12 comments:

Unknown said...

C.J. and I have been going to the classic car show over in Benicia each summer for a couple of years now. We've no desire to own one of the cars, but they sure are beautiful. I've just started rereading The Shining. Lovin' it.

bermudaonion said...

I'm glad the weather didn't spoil your fun. It's been unusually cold here so I think it's going to be a rough winter. (We actually had snow last week.)

Anonymous said...

I was in St Augustine all weekend and it was COLD!! My blood sure has thinned since moving here. It was so cold that although we were staying ON the beach, I didn't even touch the sand. But we did all the historical touristy things instead. I'm glad to hear you had a great week!

Anonymous said...

I really loved the narrator of Cuckoo's Calling - hoping he keeps narrating the series.

Iliana said...

Sounds like a wonderful time with your loved ones Sandy! I'm didn't get as much reading done either but loved having extra time to spend with my husband and mom and friends!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I am going to check out Fangirl. I have heard good things!

Heidenkind said...

I totally agree on The Cuckoo's Calling. The mystery needed a lot of work, but the main characters were awesome. I'll definitely be reading the next book in the series.

Alyce said...

It sounds like a wonderful place to relax! I definitely enjoy the lack of pressure with blogging now too. :)

Darlene said...

I'm glad you had a good time despite the weather. It's so flippin cold here and snowing that I'm ready to move to Florida. Lol.

Beth F said...

It's not the holidays if it doesn't get cold!

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

The boyfriend and I go absolutely nuts when the internet is down. I just want things that I depend on to work!

Anonymous said...

I love how you and your family spend your Thanksgivings! I took a book home with me to read over Thanksgiving and ended up leaving it for my mom before reading a page :)