Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sunday Salon: The Week That Was

 Well good morning all you peoples!  Good to see you up and moving around.  I have just finished what I would consider to be "SIBA Recovery Week".  Yes, Naples was one of those extremely rare times when I get away sans husband and children.  The goal during these times is to have as much relaxation and/or as much fun as possible.  For the most part, this was achieved.  But all good things must come to an end, and for me that was Monday afternoon.  Back in the saddle.  Back to the 4:45 mornings, sick kids, football practices, homework battles, the dirty house, the hungry mouths, etc.  

In the scrambling around, it did dawn on me that it WAS Book Blogger Appreciation Week!  And with the exception of an interview swap, and announcing a giveaway that was a couple weeks overdue, it just blew right by me.  So let me just take a moment here and acknowledge all of you who take a moment out of your day to come here and read my blatherings, those who regularly comment, those of you who are reading and blogging like nobody's business (and whom I so enjoy), and those who I consider my friends online and off.  If it weren't for you all, I would not still be doing this.  Seriously there are days!!!  Weeks!!!

One pretty awesome thing that I discovered at SIBA is that Orlando has a used bookstore (and a member of SIBA) on the south side of town called Dog-Eared Books.  I scooted down to visit Brooke, the owner, on Friday.  I'll have to do a separate post about her store, but it is not your average used book store.  It is amazing, and it comes with a sweet little puppy to greet you.

I'm still going hard and heavy with my half-marathon training.  My running partner and I have upped our runs during the week to 5 miles, and are running 8 miles on the weekend.  Yesterday, however, was not the best long run I've had.  It must have been that glass of wine Friday night or something, but it just about killed me.  I was able to drag myself to my son's football game (another shut-out...25-0...woo hoo!) but that was basically it for the day!  Lord I feel old.  I am old.

On the reading front, I'm like a stick in the mud with the print.  I'm making my way through "Code Name Verity" for book club (which is next Tuesday - eek - not sure I'll finish in time).  I've been listening to "The Bucolic Plague" on audio in the car.  If you haven't heard of this one, it is about two gay Manhattanites who buy a mansion and farm in the country and attempt to be gentlemen farmers.  OMG, this is the funniest and most fantasy-inspiring thing I've read in ages.  Love.  I'm also listening to Johnathan Tropper's latest "One Last Thing Before I Go" and I'm enjoying that immensely as well.

So, the only thing on the agenda today is church and petting kittens at the shelter.  Relatively low-key stuff.  Maybe I'll even finish Verity.  Hope you all have a great Sunday and upcoming week.



20 comments:

Jen - Devourerofbooks said...

I tried to read CODE NAME VERITY when everyone was raving about it, but I just shouldn't get into it. Hope you have better luck today.

Elisabeth said...

Yes, you are young! I think it is great that you can haul yourself out of bed soooo early to run! I also listened to The Bucolic Plague on audio as well and enjoyed it immensely.

I am too am in a pickle with my book club book, State of Wonder, is not really catching my interest. This is disappointing as I have loved Patchett's other books.

Anonymous said...

Ha, SIBA-recovery week, I totally agree. I came down with a nasty cold this week that just about killed me, combined with the fact that I had to do interviews this week and work 12-hour days made it a rough few days. BUT the light at the end of the tunnel is that I have an entire day today to do whatever the HECK I want. I started Verity today too ... 50 pages in and I'm not sure yet. We'll see! Enjoy your Sunday, Sandy!!

bermudaonion said...

I'm still sad that I missed SIBA but I'm excited that you've found a local bookstore, and one with a puppy yet!!

We need to plan a trip to the Beekman after you finish The Bucolic Plague!

Unknown said...

There's a Dog-eared Books in San Francisco, too. They're not connected, though. The one in the city is a terrific store.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I'm still sick too. You were lucky to have escaped! I bet it's all that exercise and healthiness you do! :--)

Jenny said...

I had no idea about that book store. I'll have to check it out one day.
BTW, I just saw a picture of you guys with Wendy Wax on her Facebook page, LOL!

caite said...

Petting kittens...sounds very anti-stressful.

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

Bucolic Plaque sounds like it would be interesting to read or listen to. I hope your Sunday is quiet and restful!

Iris said...

I am so proud of you for the running training. I have to start all over again (due to my sprained ankle) soon, but I'm a little nervous about it. And afraid that I'm going to suck for a long while. I wish we had a Princess Half Marathon over here to inspire me. Truly, that still sounds like the best thing ever.

Code Name Verity is slow for the first half but is SO GOOD during the second half. Also, I should warn you that it's probably best to stay away from your book club if you haven't finished it in time. Because the discussion is bound to reveal some of the big twists and turns.

Jenners said...

I heard you and Jill were exercising early in the morning … that doesn't sound very "vacationy" to me!!! : )

And Bucolic Plague is a hoot, isn't it? It made me want to go on a road trip up there. You have to read Josh's previous memoir, I Am Not Myself These Days, to hear about his days as a drag queen named Aqua. Totally different book but really good.

Anonymous said...

If you can run 5-8 miles, YOU ARE NOT OLD.

Alyce said...

I don't know how I've missed hearing about The Bucolic Plague before this - it sounds great! I hadn't realized that BBAW was last week until it was already in progress. :) It was just a crazy week, and I didn't have time to join in.

I think everyone has off days for working out and you are doing a fantastic thing with your training!

Heidenkind said...

Wow, I think I've run 8 miles... Never! I've never run 8 miles. That's what a car is for. ;)

Carrie K. said...

Training for a half-marathon? You're not old - you're amazing!

I'm expecting a review copy of One Last Thing Before I Go on audio - can't wait. Are you loving Verity?

Zibilee said...

I am finding it kind of difficult to get into Verity. I know that a lot of bloggers raved over it, and that makes me curious about what's inside. For me, the beginning is dragging, and I am planning to sit down with it today and get back into the thick of things. I hope your week turns out well!

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

I'm so sad I couldn't get to SIBA this year :( I miss seeing you and Heather and Kathy!

I have Code Name Verity and I've heard great things about it; I hope you end up enjoying it!

And go, girl, with your training! I'm rebounding from injuries after the 5k but a healthy dose of chiropractor visits and massage therapy should do the trick! :)

Unknown said...

BBAW sneaked up on me too. I'd have liked to participate a bit more, but we didn't have much notice and I was really busy that week. I did manage to find a few new blogs though, so that was good. Hopefully we'll have more time next year.

Good luck with all your training!

Beth F said...

If you're old. I'm ancient! Good for you for the run, even if it was hard.

Ti said...

You always have so much going on and yet you seem so normal :)

I have to get my hands on that Plague book. It sounds hysterical!