Sunday, September 30, 2012

Sunday Salon: Hi My Name is Sandy

 Yes, please allow me to introduce myself.  I am your long-lost blogger friend Sandy.  If I follow your blog (in theory) you may be wondering if I died or fell into a well or something.  No, I am alive, I've just been off the grid.  The main reason is because my kids did not have school on Thursday or Friday.  We rarely have even a half day of "free" time so I like to make hay while the sun shines.  And make hay we did.

But before Thursday, I was busy doing things to clear my schedule.  Lots of running around and scrubbing and parent meetings and stuff.  And hey, I tried Pilates for the first time and loved it!  Just keeping things interesting and different.  I have a friend that goes to a class every Tuesday, and I'm going to try to incorporate it when I can.

So because of the wacky-ness that normally ensues on the weekend, my running partner and I went out for an early 8 miles on Thursday.  (Just as an aside, every single time I get ready to do a long run, I'm almost frozen with terror...fear of pain, failure, injury.  I'm not sure if this will ever go away.)  I then took the kids to Target, primarily to get "stuff" for my daughter's Homecoming Week next week.  Then at 2:00pm, my daughter and I went to Universal and rode the rides for a few hours, then went to Halloween Horror Nights.  You all know how much she and I love our horror, and it is a SERIOUS amount of fun.  I was just totally exhausted by the time we left, which was about 11:30pm.  I would have allowed one of the roaming demons to carry me out to the car, willingly.  

On Friday, I took the kids to Sea World.  They have passes, and they had been dying to go.  Normally, I am racing with them to the front row of each ride, but this time I packed Jo Nesbo and read while they cavorted around.  It needed to happen, I needed some rest.  

Yesterday was sports day.  My daughter had to meet the bus at her school at 5:15am, and the meet was over on the coast in Titusville (an hour drive).  Despite all the theme park action on Thursday and Friday, she beat her PR by over a minute, which is incredible.  The boy played football later in the afternoon against the one team we thought might give us some competition, but we shut them out 22-0.  What an awesome day.  (Random thought yesterday...if my son plays High School football, we will have watched 11 years of the game from his sidelines.  Holy crap.)

So my reading = dismal.  I'm still reading Jo Nesbo's "Phantom" which is amazing.  Just no sitting time and when I do, I fall asleep.  I intended to post that review on Tuesday, but that ain't happening, so I will have to shuffle things around.  On audio, I finished "The Invisible Ones" by Stef Penney, and narrated by the flipping amazing Dan Stevens.  Audio lovers?  Listen to this one.  The story is great but the narration is UNBELIEVABLE.  I'm now pretty close to wrapping up Anna Quindlen's memoirish musings in "Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake" and I wish I knew her IRL.  She has her ducks in a row, this one.  Plus she is also kind of an amazing writer too.  Look for her to be on my list of top reads for 2012 for "Every Last One".

Let's hope for a more productive blogging week next week.  Hopefully I'll see you around, I'll get some books read and some reviews written.  There's always  room to aspire for improvement.



24 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Hey, the blogosphere will always be around; your kids won't. Enjoy them while you can.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Congrats to your kids on their sports achievements. I have an audio going in the car (Joan Rivers) sent to me by my good friend, but not getting much reading done otherwise!

Ana S. said...

Like we could forget you! Good to know there was no falling into wells, though :P

I've heard such great things about Anna Quindlen. Really need to pick up one of her books sometime.

Trisha said...

I think I am jealous of your life. Just heading to a place like Universal or Sea World on a random day is awesome. The closest thing I have to an amusement park is the tractors at the farm.....

Megan said...

Glad to hear you didn't die or fall into a well or anything - sounds like you had much better activities going on than those! ;-)

I'm always going off the blogger grid anymore. The way I figure it, it's all good as long as we keep managing to find our way back, right?

Anonymous said...

What an awesome week you've had. :)

Unknown said...

I did notice your absence, but hey, Seaworld!! ;-)

Unfinished Person said...

Jealous on the Nesbo. How did you get it early? It doesn't come out until Tuesday , and I'm waiting. Do you work at a library or bookstore and are cheating? :) Or aren't you saying?

Carrie K. said...

Phew - sounds like a fun - but very busy - week!

Is the Dan Stevens who narrates Invisible ones the same Dan Stevens from Downton Abbey? I know he does narration. British?

I adored Lots of Candles, and felt the way you did - wish I could sit down and have a cup of coffee with her.

Jenny said...

Can you believe I have NEVER been to Halloween Horror Nights? We go to Universal all the time, but I stay away from HHN because I'm terrified, LOL.

Unknown said...

For someone who is so busy I am amazed that you can manage to keep your posts going. I am really struggling at the moment and barely managing 2 posts a week. You manage to do all this amazing stuff and still keep up your normal blog schedule - you are wonder woman!

Anna said...

Sounds like you've been busy but having fun. Like Kathy says, enjoy!

Alyce said...

Glad you guys were able to get in some fun family time! Congratulations to your kids on their sports achievements!

Unknown said...

Hey busy woman!!! A Saturday in my town!! Imagine. I was in Winter Springs watching college softball all day. A friend of mine coaches the Astronaut cross country girls team. Congrats to your daughter!
Have a wonderful week Sandy.

JoAnn said...

I've always thought Anna Quindlen and I could be great friends.... LOVED the audio version of Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake!

Nise' said...

Glad you had a whirlwind of fun! I just started Pilates too, and it is harder than it looks! I loved Dan Stevens narration of The Invisible Ones too!

Susan said...

Hi Sandy! Still the Energizer Bunny, I see...lol. I feel exhausted from reading that! Of course, I was already exhausted from ten days of painting and floor laying and grandkids...you name it. Let me tell ya, seeing you in full Sandy mode makes me feel that all is right with the world. :)

Sorry it's been so long. I'm gonna try to do more of this and less of FB for a change. This is much more intellectually stimulating.

Beth F said...

What Kathy said.

Zibilee said...

You are a very busy lady, even when you are trying not to be! I just finished Shadow of Night the other day, and am now neck deep in Simon Vance's voice on Bring Up the Bodies. We will have to get together sometime to exchange books. I have some great stuff for you.

Ti said...

Well at least you had a bunch of fun stuff in between all of the other stuff.

I have to read Leopard before I get to Phantom. I am three books from getting to it.

caite said...

I too am reading "Phantom"..we will see....

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy! (Honestly, I'm surprised no one else blurted out that cliched 12 step response before me.)

I joined the gym this weekend. I thought of you while I was wimping out on some machine. Actually, I thought of Andre...from your descriptions, I was very grateful he wasn't standing in front of me at the time.

Julie P. said...

Just a few words for you --- MOM OF THE YEAR!

Jenners said...

Hi Sandy. Nice to meet you. I do too much too (but nowhere near as you). I love that you guys get to take advantage of all that Orlando has to offer when others take a once in a lifetime trip there. You're a lucky lady!