Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sunday Salon: My week as Groundhog Day

 I'm not completely sure if I can nail down my mood at this point.  I'm a little grumpy.  I've been running from place to place, all bug-eyed, like my hair is on fire, with a schedule that is just a little insane and requires me to be in two or three places at once.  I'm tired, in a good way, and am really pleased with my workouts.  I'm in transition, and anxious for life to settle down into a manic routine.  It is the same song that I've been singing for weeks.  So you know what I said about last week?  Ditto for this one.  It is like Groundhog Day.  I keep expecting to wake up in the morning to Sonny and Cher singing "I've Got You Babe".

School starts next week for both of my kids.  My daughter begins high school (o_O), my son starts his 7th grade year.  My duties as the Treasurer for Home and School crank up for the second year of my two year commitment.  Football every night, a new horse schedule (yet to be figured out), 5:30am cross country practices, and...haha!  Get this!  Jury duty on Tuesday.  Couldn't have picked a shittier time, but whatcha gonna do?  I am working myself up to be the biggest bigoted bitch of all time, and pray they don't choose me for a trial.  I'm told that bigoted bitchiness isn't enough to be excused, but I'm going to give it my best shot.  The (only) upside is undisturbed reading time. 

So who is tired of the campaign crap?  I'm tired of it already.  It is going to be a looooong 2 1/2 months.  Florida is one of those states that after an election year, all that remains is a bloody, corpse and sign-strewn battlefield.  Just had to get THAT off my chest.  

Reading schmeading.  Blogging schmogging.  If you notice one day that it seems I have dropped off the face of the earth?  Worry not, I'm not dead.  I've only melted into a gelatinous mass of pooh.  You know, I try, I really do, but that isn't good enough.  I did finish Marybeth Whalen's "The Guest Book" and it was lovely and comforting.  I am now rolling around in the last three editions of the graphic novel formats of "The Stand".  So much indulgent fun!  It isn't exactly the same as King's Magnum Opus, but it is good stuff.  I also just did finish "The Discovery of Witches" on audio (it took me awhile, but I liked it) and am now listening to the subtly impactful "The Snow Child".  I don't run with my audios, I have running partners or I listen to music, so...who knows how long it will take me to get through this one.  There is always house-cleaning and weed-pulling!  Woo hoo!

So today, I'm going for a nice chunky run with my husband, go to church, flip a coin to see who goes to horseback riding lessons, then send my daughter off for driving instruction with a more sturdy, saner person than my husband and I.  (It is a true and good friend who does such a thing.)  Pray, my Christian soldiers.  Hope you all have a peaceful, non-eventful Sunday!
   

17 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Your schedule would make a weaker woman crumble to dust. I will have to say this - high school was much better for my son than middle school was but part of that's probably because his middle school had an incompetent principal. You will actually like it (once you adjust) when your daughter learns to drive. Has she picked her car out yet?

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Yes to Kathy's first sentence! One of the Sunday Salons I read that always has me cringing at my couch-potato-ness!

Unknown said...

Jury duty has gotten much better in California, at least where I live. If you have to go in at all, you only go in for that one day. You're either on a case or you done for good.

The last time I made it into the jury box only to be excuse by the prosecution. I basically crumbled under cross examination, completely. The lawyer for the prosecution made me really nervous and I said so.

Julie P. said...

I can so relate to your schedule! I feel as if I'm going crazy! Just read THE SNOW CHILD last week for book club this week -- not so sure I'd run to it because it's a very quiet book. Try a thriller! LOL!

Hang in there!

Alyce said...

I hope that things ease up for you! I know well how stressful it can be to be over-scheduled like that. Hopefully it will get better once everyone settles into the new school routine.

I'm kind of the opposite about the elections. Not many people would know this about me, but I am a political news junkie. I don't get into politics on my site both because: it's not about politics it's about books, and what's the use in ticking off half of the country who thinks differently from me? :) I have to admit that I'm kind of like a kid in a candy shop checking the news sites and commentary first thing every morning for pretty much the whole year before the election.

That being said, there is a lot of political stupidity to go around, and I do get tired of the name calling, lies and mudslinging.

caite said...

Gelatinous mass of pooh...thank you so much for that lovely image...lol

Carrie K. said...

I'm totally with you on being sick of the campaign stuff - and I don't even live in a lynchpin state! I am with you - I am ready for a return to normalcy. I always enjoy the summer, but then am ready to get back into our normal routine.

Heidenkind said...

I feel like the campaign had been going on since March. My state is one of the "battleground" states, too. What are we going to do ourselves once the campaign in over? /sarcasm

Meg @ write meg! said...

Whew boy -- sending good vibes to you, Sandy, and will hope you aren't selected for jury duty! And yes, I'm completely sick of all the political ads ruining my relaxing evening TV viewing and generally annoying me at every turn... ack.

Ti said...

As crazy as the schedule is, you sure do make me laugh. Your gelatinous pooh line got a huge chuckle out of me.

I joined the Parent Advisory Council for high school. What was I thinking???

Melissa said...

Seriously, you crack me up! Terribly tired of the election stuff too! My audio listening seems to be stalled...Not enough car time, which is my only listening time.

Zibilee said...

Oh my gosh, Sandy, you are going to melt away with all of the exertion that you have been putting out! Just remember, next month will be better, with all of us together at SIBA! I admire you for all you've got going on over there, and agree with Kathy, a lesser woman wouldn't be able to handle all this!

Marie Cloutier said...

Wow, I don't think I could keep up with you. I can barely keep myself off the couch! I hope things get a little lighter!

JoAnn said...

You'll have to let me know how the bigoted bitch routine works. It's only a matter of time before I get called again ;-) BTW, one of our daughters is still without a drivers license. There is a point at which every parent needs to call for help and we waited too long... you are wise to do it now.

Anonymous said...

Jury duty in my county sucks. Although I rarely have to go to the courthouse, I end up having to call everyday for a week just on the off chance that they might need me. It plays hell with the schedule, since you can't plan anything. I'd rather just go in and sit and wait, 'cause then I could read.
Yes, I'm bitter. Because I have my summons sitting right here.
Maybe you should keep reading during the jury selection..."I'm sorry Your Honor, but I'm at a really good part..."

Jenners said...

Your whole life is insane. Perhaps jury duty would be a nice change of pace. I always go in with a strategy for escaping so good luck with the bigoted bitch persona.

Unknown said...

Oh Sandy, your poor, harried woman! Hang in there, please. I know you will.

I have missed your Sunday Salon posts so much followed by your reviews. You have a terrific attitude even when life becomes overwhelming. Thanks for making me laugh while also making me wish I coud help you out somehow.

Hang in there, Sandy and have some yummy wine!!