Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Not So Wordless Wednesday: St. George Island #2



If you visit St. George Island today, you can't miss the St. George Island Lighthouse as you come over the bridge.  This gorgeous lighthouse hasn't always been here though.  The original was located on an uninhabited island accessible only by boat, built in 1852.  It finally succumbed to erosion and hurricane damage and collapsed in 2005.  The locals were devastated, as you can imagine, and relocated its pieces here and had it rebuilt.  You can walk up the 92 stairs and have a great view of the island.  

The cool thing is that years ago, when we were vacationing here, a local fishing guide took us shelling on his boat to this uninhabited island and we saw the lighthouse before it fell.  I know I took pictures, but I'll be darned if I can find them.  I feel blessed that we saw this historical landmark in its natural state. 



8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Good for the people of St. George for preserving that treasure!

caite said...

Be still my heart...(writing down location)

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

What a sweet story. I don't think I have ever seen a lighthouse on location. I'd like to, just because.

Meg @ write meg! said...

How cool! That lighthouse is great.

Beth F said...

Very cool that you saw the original.

Zibilee said...

Love, love, love lighthouses! Very cool picture!

Brooke said...

I'm so nostalgic for old St. George and that darn lighthouse! I grew up a couple of hours from the island and have so many fond memories of long beach days, fried chicken lunches, and just a feeling of giddy contentment. Such a beautifully untouched (for the most part) area of Florida!

Alyce said...

How neat that you got to see it before it fell down! It looks lovely as it is now too.