Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sunday Salon: Joe Body

 OK seriously people!  I can't keep a straight face whenever I hear the Olympic commentators say the name of the Canadian coach for beach volleyball...Joe Body.  Hahaha!  Who has a name like that?  Is it real? Or did he decide that this would help his career and he made a legal change?  It just cracks me up.  We have been watching the Olympics, and it is so much fun.  Even archery is fun (except when Ti happens to mention that it reminds HER of a certain distressing book, then it became not so fun).


Speaking of body, I have to make a comment about an activity I have participated in the last two weeks.  My friend Michele has guested me into her fitness club on Saturday mornings for spin class.  I've never done spin before.  But here is what I learned.  If you can dig deep, and grind through torture and pain for 45 minutes and give it your all, you can burn some insane number of calories.  Last week I burned 900 calories, this week I burned 1,000.  I've never in my life experienced such a thing.  That is my healthy tip for the week.


We continue to try to get caught up from our vacation.  Various appointments, amped-up workouts getting my son ready for football next week, getting in some horseback riding, and making up our volunteer hours at the animal shelter.  My daughter took a shine to a pet rat in there, and had to hold it and scratch its head, while it licked her hand.  No, thanks, I refused to touch it. I love animals but rats are not on my list as a lovable animal!  


I also went to our Books, Babes and Bordeaux book club where we discussed "Gone Girl".  We had a large group this month, and everyone was blown away by this book.  It was one of those meetings where everyone was talking excitedly at the top of their lungs, all at the same time.  Good stuff.  There is a reason why this book is #1 on the bestseller list.  Next month we are tackling Alma Katsu's "The Taker"!!


I've been running around all day every day this week, so I'm still not doing a very good job of getting around to all your blogs.  It WILL calm down at some point, but I have no regular schedule right now.  So I'm not getting any reviews written nor am I reading much.  I am very close to finishing "The Chaperone" on audio, and after that I am diving into "The Discovery of Witches".  In print I finished (and loved with all my heart) Melina Marchetta's "Jellicoe Road".  This was a Rhapsody Jill recommendation, so it was mandatory reading, and am I glad.  Just read it.  If I can get my sluggish butt in gear, I will write the review and tell you a few thousand more times.  I'm now meandering my way through the latest graphic novel by Alison Bechdel called "Are You My Mother?".


And because I am a sloth of the highest order, I forgot to post about my winners of Karin Slaughter's "Criminal" in audio form.  But I did boot up Random.org yesterday morning and selected two names from those who expressed interest, and the winners are Caite from A Lovely Shore Breeze and Ti from Book Chatter.  Way to go ladies!  You are going to love this one.


I hope you all have a lovely Sunday.  After church, we've got horseback riding, and I am hoping that after that I'll get to Barnes & Noble and participate in a little pool floating.  And watch more Joe Body.     


23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the best name at the Olympics that I've heard so far is "Destiny Hooker" another volleyball player, ;)

bermudaonion said...

I can't remember the last time I had the TV on so I haven't seen an of the Olympics at all. Go ahead, call me un-American.

Unknown said...

I've had many an odd name come through my classroom over the years. Out of respect for them I can't write their names here, but a few of them have surpassed "Joe Body." But I don't think I can top "Destiny Hooker."

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I don't even have the energy to LOOK at a spinning class, much less take one!

ds said...

Yes, I can see you enjoying spinning. Joe Body, Destiny Hooker....oy!

Unknown said...

I'm afraid I'm going against the opinion of your book club (and just about everyone in the blogging world) because I abandoned Gone Girl last week. I'm also putting more ffort into watching sport over participating in it! Keep up the great work!

Carrie K. said...

Barnes & Noble and pool floating sounds like a perfect Sunday afternoon! And I'm so glad you're going to dive into Discovery of Witches - I loved it last year. :)

Julie P. said...

I think my life will be crazy the last four weeks of summer. I almost feel like you... except for the 1000 calories burned!

Heidenkind said...

EW, A RAT?!? That's... no.

Agen Xamthone Plus Kota Gunung Sitoli/Nias said...

Hello how are you?

Agen Xamthone Plus Laguboti said...

Hello how are you?

Agen Xamthone Plus Lubuk Pakam said...

Come join here

Agen Xamthone Plus Medan said...

its really good the info

Agen Xamthone Plus Pangururan said...

Greetings and best wishes always

Ti said...

I workout by bike sometimes but not spinning.I set it to some random incline workout and sometimes it's okay and sometimes it's torture. I let it surprise me.

I am having trouble going to the gym with the hand/arm situation but I did download a new fitness up (RunKeeper) and went for a walk. It's hard to explain but when your arm is out of whack, you feel off kilter. My balance is off and that makes all the gym stuff that I used to do (elliptical, treadmill) unpleasant. Plus, I have lost 7 lbs since skipping the gym which makes me question the entire thing.

Zibilee said...

I have not been watching the Olympics, but it seems like I am the only one! And that spin class does sound amazing, but also grueling as well. I am not sure how I would do. I am interested in reading your take on Jellicoe Road as well. I have had that one on my list for a long time. I hope you have a good week over there, and that you soon get all caught up. I am behind too, but I did just finish Let's Pretend this Never Happened with my husband, so YAY me!

Beth F said...

I like the Olympics, but have decided to watch only at night. I might have to do one of those trial membership things somewhere just to test out the spinning. LOL.

christina said...

So there's this kitty at the shelter named Gracie that I've been trying to talk Di into allowing us to adopt. She's putting her foot down since we already have four. But if it was up to me, I'd collect black cats.

And a rat! Awesome. :)

JoAnn said...

I can so relate to this summer craziness and am trying to catch up with everyone this evening. Will be curious to hear what you thought of The Chaperone audio... I'm just starting it today.

caite said...

did I mention that I am bubbling with excitment about winning Criminal? Bubbling!!

Jenners said...

I'm watching the Olympics as I type this (men's synchro diving ... enjoying the little swim suits!! Woo hoo!!)

I used to have pet rats believe it or not. They grow on you... but beware. I thought I had two females but then ended up with little ratlings ... which ended up not being so cute.

I could see Gone Girl being a really fun book read discussion .... of course there would be no controversy as I can't imagine anyone not liking it!!

Melody said...

I'm enjoying watching the Olympics, though I tend to be selective and watch mostly the swimming and the gymnastic category, hehe.

I've to add 'Gone, Girl' to my wishlist, as I keep seeing that title on so many blogs!!!

Anonymous said...

Joe Body is his real name... known him forever.