Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Not So Wordless Wednesday: Philadelphia






Scenes from our day spent in Philadelphia on our field trip.  The top picture is the Assembly Room at Independence Hall, where all the action was...Declaration of Independence and Articles of Confederation were adopted here, and the Declaration of Independence was drafted here.  In the center of the room in the very back is the famous, original "Rising Sun" chair used by George Washington.  One of the tour guides told me that one time, when Ronald Reagan was visiting, he plopped down in it without asking, and the entire staff about wet their pants.  From there on out, when VIPs visit, a fake one is used, JUST IN CASE!  I laughed for hours over that story.   


13 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Oh, how I love Philly!!

Zibilee said...

That Ronald Reagan story is hilarious, and I can imagine that the staff was so nonplussed by what he had done! These are great photos Sandy. I love them!

Literary Feline said...

I would love to visit Philadelphia. So much history!

Meg @ write meg! said...

Ah, the Liberty Bell! That was so cool to see in person. We made a day trip to Philly for my mom's birthday years ago and had a great time. Thanks for reminding me!

caite said...

I drive past there so often, the whole Liberty Complex, or whatever it is called, but have only been there once, years and years ago.

Alyce said...

That is too funny about the Reagan and Washington's chair! That's one of those places I haven't visited yet.

Beth F said...

Loved that story! Too funny. I really need to get back down to center city.

Anonymous said...

The one and only time I was in Philadelphia was when I was 12. It might be time for a return trip. :-D

I wonder if they'd let me sit in the chair, since I'm so NOT a VIP.

Agen Xamthone Plus Padang Sidempuan said...

Hello how are you?

Agen Xamthone Plus Panyambungan said...

Come join here

Agen Xamthone Plus Pematang Siantar said...

its really good the info

Agen Xamthone Plus Rantau Prapat said...

Greetings and best wishes always

Kathleen said...

I've never been to Philly but would love to go one day. Thanks for sharing the pictures!