Monday, April 16, 2012

The Island (2006)

The Island (Octpob in Russian) is a movie I never would have watched on my own.  I love foreign films, but this is way off the foreign path, even for me.  However, it was the first selection for the Film Club that is being hosted by Amy and Carrie and it was easily accessible on Netflix streaming.  So my husband and I watched it.  (The Film Club discussion actually took place at Amy's blog on March 29th, but of course here I am plodding behind - apologies.)


This is a story about an old Russian Orthodox monk who lives in the cold, bleak far reaches of Russia in a monastery with a few other monks.  He has always been an enigma.  He is a perpetually distressed, self-flagellating fellow, haunted by sins from his past (the first scene actually shows his biggest sin, but I'll let you discover it for yourself).  Yet at some rare moments, he is a bit of a prankster and loves to break the monastery's rules.  He has a reputation on the mainland that he can exorcise demons, heal physical ailments and predict the future, and he is happy to do so, in return for the healee to spend a little time praying and taking communion.  Unfortunately most people, once they are "fixed", turn tail back home, much to this man's distress and anger.




For the most part, the movie progresses slowly, almost painfully, as if we are paying for his sins too.  The hauling of coal every day.  The stark landscape.  It was like watching Job.  My husband fell asleep, and we had to watch the second half the next night.  


In the last half of the movie though, this monk started to become endearing to us.  He made a positive impact on everyone he came in contact, including the other monks.  He taught them sacrifice, dedication to God, and humility.  It was just distressing to watch the man suffer so.  You want him to find peace.  And in fact, towards the end, you find your spirits lifting because he does find peace, only in ways you don't expect. 
   
This movie apparently was all the rage in Russia back when it was released.  I'm a little surprised at this, because the movie is incredibly spiritual and powerful, but not what you would call blockbuster material (at least by American standards).  The fact that is WAS so successful certainly says something about the Russian people.  First and foremost, I think it says they have better tastes in film!  Ha!


I don't say this often, but I think the movie would warrant multiple watchings to better appreciate the subtle messages.  This is a movie experience that requires one to sit back and relax, resist the craving for action and car chases, and open your heart to a deeper message.  


Highly recommended.





8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm a little odd when it comes to movies - I don't like car chases or fight scenes. I do like something to happen, though and this one sounds rather slow. My other problem is I have trouble sitting still long enough to watch a movie at home.

Beth F said...

The fact that it takes place in Russia would interest me. Mr. BFR is not very patient when a movie is too slow. I might check it out.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

You do watch the biggest variety of movies! At least this one doesn't have slashers!

Zibilee said...

I had never heard of this movie, but think it might make for an interesting watch for me. I love anything to do with monks and nuns, and so that is the first thing that caught my attention. The other thing that makes me think that this would be an intriguing film for me is the fact that it would benefit from multiple viewings. I love movies like that!

caite said...

Well, the Russians do like bleak, but then, so do I. And I love foreign films....might have to look for this one.

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Sounds like the second part is worth it if you can make it past the first...hmm. Not sure if I can muddle through it, but might give it a try. Sounds pretty unique.

Jenners said...

That does say something about the Russian people! IT sounds like this would NEVER fly in the U.S.

Kathleen said...

Sounds like a contemplative film and one that you do need to watch several times. I would definitely give it a try.