Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sunday Salon: Coming up for air

 Good morning everyone!  I will just warn you...I have had "one of those weeks".  A Sandy Week.  I never mean to overwhelm you or sound like I am whining or bragging or anything like that.  I have no intentions of reciting my week for any reason except just to take a personal inventory of WHY I didn't get a damn thing done.  Makes me feel better.


As I told you last week, my sister was visiting so that contributed to the busy-ness, but can't really blame her for the overall chaos.  I drug that poor girl around with me everywhere I went.  I took her to my workout classes with Andre on Monday and Wednesday morning (I also worked out Thursday morning, but she was doing her best downward dogs with my mom).  I took her to my book club meeting Monday night (discussing "Before I Go To Sleep" by S.J. Watson) and my Heathrow Literary Society on Tuesday (discussing "Never Knowing" by Chevy Stevens).  No she didn't read the books but who cares.  We watched movies almost every night that we were home.  We cooked.  We went to see "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy", which was very good.  We visited my friend Craig's wine store to do some birthday shopping for my husband.


I had a walking date with a good friend on Tuesday so we could catch up on our lives.  I had an Adult Literacy League meeting on Wednesday night - the event is coming up on March 1st, so everything has kicked into high gear.  We celebrated my husband's actual birthday Thursday night. I went on a field trip with about 150 4th, 5th and 6th graders to Universal Studios Islands of Adventure all day Friday.  And in between all that, my daughter had her horseback riding lessons, her weekly Confirmation class,  and the kids had their own workout sessions with Andre as well.  Thank God I have my parents down here to help shuttle.  


I also took my husband to the Magnolia golf course at Disney yesterday for 18 holes for his birthday. 


I don't mind saying that I'm tired.


So I guess it should come as no shock that I read virtually NOTHING this week.  I tried really hard to get into "The History of History" but it is a dense book and it was going nowhere.  I will just have to come back to it later.  So I turned to a new book that I got from Kenneth Dixon (I have read and reviewed two of his previous books, which are always quirky and fun).  His new book, entitled "The Photo Album", is only 125 pages long, and I'm on page 50.  This is as good as it is going to get folks.  Until I can get my life back in order.  After I knock that one out, I am going to settle in with Taylor Polites "The Rebel Wife" which was one I got at SIBA and has been getting some serious accolades.  I don't mind saying that the SIBA bloggers fell in love with Taylor when we met him.  Then I think I will having a Sarah Pekkanen fest after that.  


On audio, I did slightly better.  Only because I squeezed in a day of housecleaning on Wednesday.  I finished "11/22/63" by Stephen King, and if I said I loved it last week, well now we are talking stratospheric, emotional, put-it-on-my-favorite-of-all-time love.  I was vacuuming and sobbing (sweeping and weeping?) when I wrapped that one up.  After that, nothing is going to measure up I am afraid.  I did want to allow time for some Penguin Audios, since they have been sending me some great selections, so I started a short one called "Lunatics" written and narrated by Dave Barry and Alan Zweibel.  It is really an insane thing, this audio.  I am speechless.  


Today we are scheduled for church, horseback riding lessons, and a track banquet in the evening.  The kids don't have school on Monday, so once the three of us work on our fitness in the morning with Andre, we will see if anything else gets accomplished.  Maybe a nap?      


  

23 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow, I look forward to your actual review of the King book! I have heard mixed things.

Unknown said...

I'm not getting much reading done either lately, but I have no excuse. Well, no new excuses anyway. I'm interesting in The History of History but it looks like such heavy reading. I'm still in the midst of a crime fiction spree for the most part these days.

Michelle (my books. my life.) said...

I am tired just reading this. From my bed. Which I have yet to leave today.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

You are just insanely energetic and busy! And yet you still read more than I did!

Trisha said...

I am so glad you loved the King book. I keep staring at that chunkster going "oooooohhhhh soooo longgggg".

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Not that I'm glad you cried at the end of 11/22/63, but it reassures me that I wasn't the only one who was devastated at the end! I was so sad, so terribly, terribly sad. It is why 11/22/63 had to make my best of list for 2011. I can't imagine what it must have been like to listen to this on audio!

Molly said...

sweeping and weeping -- LOVE it!

I too look forward to your review of the King book and whether it was the content that was off the charts, the narrator, or both.

Sure wish I could harness some of your motivation and actually start working out myself. Perhaps in February...

Carrie K. said...

Whew - and I thought my week was busy! :) I really want to find 11/22/63 on audio - I'm hoping my library will get it. Is the Dave Barry audio crazy in a good way?

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

I was tired just reading all you did! It does sounds like a fun week even though it was a busy one. I can't wait to see your review of the King book.

Zibilee said...

I saw the movie yesterday, and you are right, it was very smart and well done. I loved all the 70's atmosphere, and how quiet it was. There was not a lot of blood and guts, but the story was excellent. I liked the way that the bad guy wasn't revealed until the very end, and even then, there were doubts.

You are a crazy busy woman! I hope that you get a few naps in this week, though I know that you will probably be pretty busy this time around too!

bermudaonion said...

I haven't gotten much reading done either - I'm in Virginia taking care of my in-laws, and it's a full time job!! I started 11/22/63 on the way up here and I am LOVING it. I'd love to go ride around right now to listen to more.

Ana S. said...

Wow! You made me even more excited to read the King.

Michelle said...

Whew. I'm tired just reading this! I am now incredibly anxious to read the new King book. I only listened to the foreword of Lunatics and it had me LOLing so loud. It sounds like a perfect one to listen to at work.

Definitely get that nap in tomorrow. You deserve it!

Jenners said...

I hope you do get to squeeze a nap in there. Your "Sandy" weeks are just awe-inspiring and tiring. Now I'm superexcited about 11/22/63! Perhaps I will sweep and weep!!

Anonymous said...

I like your Sandy weeks! You always have interesting adventures.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

You made my week look easy! LOL You were busy girl!!! And now I want to listen to the 11-23-63 book even more!!!

Unknown said...

I'm not surprised you struggled with The History of History - it requires a lot of attention to understand it. No way I could do that with all you on.

I haven't read a Stephen King before, but you've got me very excited about his new one. I might still start with an older one though. Descisions, descisions! Hope the next week is a bit calmer for you.

Unknown said...

My head spins when I read how busy you are!
I finished a book because I had 2 flying days out of 3. I too am home with son and hubs today. Recovering from my trip to visit my folks. Have a great week.

Ti said...

Do you ever sleep? Just wondering because it seems as if your body runs 24/7.

I have been reading, but not writing too much. My brain is blipping all over the place so it's hard to reel in the thoughts to get them down on paper (or screen).

Darlene said...

Sandy, I'm exhausted just reading this. I can't believe all you manage to get done in a week. I'm glad you had such a great time with your sister! Hope this week is a little more relaxing for you but I doubt it.

Alyce said...

Wow, that was busy for you! I haven't had one of those weeks in a while (thank goodness). :)

Julie P. said...

I had my tile torn up in my kitchen and new tile put down. I got nothing done unless you count cleaning.

Kathleen said...

I'm tired just reading about your week Sandy! I don't know how you do it all but you go girl!!!