Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Angel of Death

 Happy happy morning my friends!  I'm pleased to announce that life has calmed down to a dull roar this week, and was able to get myself a little more in order.  Only one doctor appointment, one meeting and two worker guy appointments...not bad.


The kids had Monday off from school so the three of us went to Andre the Angel of Death (formerly known as the uber-trainer) for our dose of pain.  Then once my husband returned home early from work, we went to the movies...the boys going to see "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and my daughter and I seeing "The Devil Inside".  


Speaking of the Angel of Death, (a name which Andre has acquired since he told me I shouldn't drink wine or eat cheese) he has been doing his job three days a week in getting me in shape.  I have a long way to go, but have already lost 9 pounds and I feel great.  I'd feel a whole lot greater if I I could have a glass of wine or two, though.  


I got some other exciting news this week.  I was contacted by a local author who is the chairperson for this year's Sleuthfest, a conference for mystery writers, which will be held in Orlando on March 1 - 4, 2012.  She has invited me to sit on a panel called "Reviewing the Reviewers".  I'm a little nervous about it, but at the same time, what other genre is closer to my heart than mystery?  Totally cool.


I've really been in a mucky, sludgy place with my reading and blogging lately.  You know I love to have a little bit of cushion in prescheduled posts, and those are dwindling away while I run around not reading.  I'm going to try to pull myself out of this mess, but if things don't pick up soon, I will be forced to take a blogging break in order to get myself back on track.  I refuse to chase posts everyday.


On that note, what have I been up to with my reading?  I've been floundering in print, but this week was able to finish Taylor Polites' "The Rebel Wife" (Taylor rocks) and the hilarious graphic novel "What I Hate from A to Z" by Roz Chast (a recommendation from Jenners).  Now I'm getting somewhere!  I will be starting "The Baker's Wife" by Sarah McCoy today.


On audio, I was able to finish "Lunatics" by Dave Barry and Alan Zweibel.  It was officially the goofiest, most insane thing I've ever listened to.  Probably best consumed in small doses.  Then I started "The Zookeeper's Wife" by Diane Ackerman for the Heathrow Literary Society, and should have it wrapped up in the next couple of days.  Fascinating story, not so exciting narrator.  Also, because I could only find it on MP3, I am listening to "The Dovekeepers" by Alice Hoffman in the car.  I'm loving the narrator and the story, but I fear that I will not finish the 19 hour journey before my Skype book club meets.  But I'll do my best.


Today we will be churching and horsing, and other than that, probably nothing of consequence.  I love days like this.  Hope you all have a good one.  For those of you in 75% of the country with foul weather, I am sorry.  75 degrees in January is sort of getting old too (hee hee).




23 comments:

Jenny said...

That's awesome that you're going to be on that panel!!! I didn't realize that is going to be in Orlando this year! I think that's the thing one of the mystery authors whose blog I follow talks about every year. I may have I stop by!

Beth F said...

Congrats on being on a panel! You'll be fantastic. I guess I'd better start reading the Hoffman book. Oops.

Alex said...

This is wonderful. Sleuthfest sounds like a lot of fun.

Trisha said...

Congrats on the panel and on losing 9 pounds!

bermudaonion said...

I was gone for 10 days and it really ate into my cushion of posts, so I can totally relate!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

9 is just amazing for the short amount of time! YAY!!!

Marie Cloutier said...

Wow, congrats on your panel appearance! How exciting! And congrats on your training- I loved doing personal training and it made such a difference for me. Totally changed the way I looked at exercising. I hope you continue to enjoy it and reap the benefits!

Unknown said...

The panel sounds like a fun gig. I went to my first panel discussions at the Sonoma County Book Fair last year. I really enjoyed one, and left early from the second. I suspect you'll have interesting things to say about reviewers. There certainly is lots to say.

JoAnn said...

Congrats on the 9 pounds, but no wine or cheese sounds like cruel and unusual punishment! Hope you at least get weekends off for good behavior ;-)

Anonymous said...

No wine or cheese?? Andre is Evil.

Molly said...

There is always so much to respond to in your posts!

First of all...CONGRATS on the weight loss :) What a terrific achievement so early in the new year.

And CONGRATS on the reviewer's panel. That sounds like such fun. I look forward to your posts in March.

Zibilee said...

Yay for getting chosen to be on the panel, and super YAY for 9 pounds! It sounds like you have had a relaxing week too, which is also wonderful. Lots of good things in this post!

I know what you mean about getting behind with the reading and posting. I am starting to run out of pre-scheduled stuff, and am going to have to break out the older stuff, of which there is only a scant amount. I am hoping to make this a busy reading day and perhaps catch up if I can, but my mind is elsewhere today.

Have a great week, and tell Andre that your blogger friends said that one glass of wine is perfectly acceptable.

Frances said...

I'm sorry, but did you say no wine or cheese? Oh no! But congrats on the progress. You deserve great results if you have to endure that type of deprivation. And Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was fantastic! You should see if you can switch up and see that one!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the panel. That sounds quite daunting, but I'm sure you'll be fantastic and have great fun!

PS. Your blog loaded straight away. Not conclusive proof that the comment system was the problem, but looks likely :-(

Alyce said...

I am jealous of your nice weather! But not so jealous of your no wine and cheese regimen. If it was me I'm sure it would be a "no coffee & chocolate" rule. I know that's what I need to cut back on and yet my self-control is weak when it comes to those two.

I can't wait to see how your time on the panel goes. It sounds like a very exciting opportunity!

Jenners said...

Congrats on the Sleuthfest thing! That sounds amazing and fun and I know you'll do a fantastic job. Glad you liked the Roz Chast book! Woo hoo! And tell the Angel of Death you deserve a glass of wine to celebrate the Sleuthfest thing!

Unknown said...

So many Congrats for you!! 9 pounds, wonderful, Sleuthfest panel, amazing, and slowing down the pace all good. You will get your reading groove back, I have no doubt!!
Wishing you a wonderful week, today has been simply gorgeous!!

Gavin said...

Sounds like you had a relatively quiet week! Congratulations on the panel, you'll be great and by all means, take a bit of a blog break if you need to. Sometimes two or three days of not thinking about it is all I need to get going again. Have a great week, Sandy.

Ti said...

Congrats for being asked to be on that panel. They are so lucky to have you.

I am not reading much these days. I had several books going and then one just dragged on and on and blew my reading mojo right out of the water. I have kicked that one to the curb and I am starting fresh today.

No wine? Really? Does Andre realize that it's a fruit?

Serena said...

Sounds like you have been busy. I hope you enjoy your time on the panel! I wish you luck and I hope you'll let us know how it went.

Julie P. said...

How exciting to be included on a panel! So happy for you and I'm sure you'll do great.

Heidenkind said...

NO WINE OR CHEESE?! D:

Kathleen said...

No wine or cheese? Yikes, he IS the Angle of Death!