Friday, January 20, 2012

Best Friends, Occasional Enemies - Lisa Scottoline and Francesca Serritella (Audio)

I'm back again with another addition to the Solid Gold Reviewer program from Audio Jukebox.  I was drawn to select this title because I am always interested in how other people navigate successfully through the mother/daughter minefield with their relationship intact!  My daughter is nearly 14, so I realize I have just entered the Danger Zone.


Lisa Scottoline is a successful author of legal thrillers, and her daughter is a young adult who has not only contributed with her mother on a weekly column in the Philadelphia Inquirer called "Chick Wit", but has written two essay collections with her.  


The book alternates back and forth between essays written by Lisa or Francesca on topics that aren't necessarily those of the published and famous, but are completely familiar to you and I.  None of them have much of a point, beyond a recounting of their daily trials and tribulations that affect us all.  Hating duvet covers (I'm with you girl), wondering which is worse - a mouse problem or the exterminator, the dating scene, and the joy and sorrow of owning a pet.  


My opinion:  This really was a sweet book written by two women that obviously adore each other and rely upon each other for support.  Some of the stories made me chuckle, and some made me very sad.  Either way, it was nice to know that two published, successful women have the same issues that we do.  I think if I met them, I would like them.  I would comment that the book has very little to do with navigating that mother/daughter minefield I was talking about, and more about life. 


Unfortunately, however, I don't think the audio forum is the way to experience this book.  In my world, I plug in and go...sometimes all day, sometimes for an hour, but usually for longer periods of time.  These short little vignettes are meant to be read in short doses.  A few before bedtime, a few while waiting at the doctor's office, a couple while waiting for your water to heat up for a cup of tea.  As a result, I started to get anxious when listening after awhile, and needed something more.  


Both authors actually narrated their own work, and they had very pleasant reading voices, so this was not the issue.


My best advice would be...if you are in the mood for something light, and female issue-driven, buy the book and put it on your nightstand.  It will serve you well!


2.5 out of 5 stars 






  

8 comments:

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I've never read any of Scottoline's books; have you? This sounds like a good little quick read like you said :)

bermudaonion said...

You're right - that doesn't sound like a book for audio but rather one to be experienced in bits and pieces.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Oh I could write a whole book on hating duvet covers!

Zibilee said...

Yeah, vignettes don't really work well for audio, and if I were to read this one, I would probably go for the printed version. I do love the cover though, and remember us talking about this one. Very honest and thoughtful review today. Thanks!

Darlene said...

This probably isn't something I'd read or listen to but I do love that cover!

Jenners said...

For you to NOT recommend the audio version says something. This sounds kind of fun.

Julie P. said...

I read a collection of their essays and thought some of them were reallyc ute.

Kathleen said...

I'd probably follow your advice and read this one in dribs and drabs in print.