Monday, January 3, 2011

Monday Movie Meme - A Change is in the Air


Monday Movie Meme is back after a small hiatus! And today, the Bumbles are ruminating over all the transformations that occur when we transition from one year to the next. Vows of turning over a new leaf, losing weight, reading more, or a new outlook on life (at least for a month or two!) is something we all do...changes for the better. The movies are also known for showing major changes in their characters throughout the story, and not always for the better! The Bumbles came up with some great ones. Here are a few that were memorable for me:

1. Allison Reynolds (the basket case) - The Breakfast Club: How much fun is it to see Ally Sheedy go from sort of an emo-looking shaggy dog to a pretty girl, worthy of dating the jock? Do I think she can maintain that look? No! But it is entertaining to watch.

2. Sandy - Grease: You can't deny the power of the black leather pants, after all of those poodle skirts. As a teenager, I thought it was so very cool that Sandy transformed to a bad girl for her boyfriend, but now, if I analyze it, it seems pathetic. I think I'm getting old.

3. Phil - Groundhog Day: Surly, self-absorbed weatherman sees the error of his ways after he has to relive the same awful day over and over again until he gets it right. I never ever tire of watching this one!

4. Jack Torrance - The Shining: OK, I'll grant you that he was a tad creepy even at the beginning of the story, with some latent aggression, but seclusion, those dead twins and room 237 really do a number on him by the end.

5. Rocky and Adrian - Rocky: Another great example of basket case getting pretty for her man, plus Rocky himself no only gets a little bit more buff, but begins to believe in himself.

6. Seth Brundle - The Fly: Not the preferable changes you would wish on your intended. That is some nasty back hair...


Something in the back of my mind tells me I am missing some really obvious ones. What do you think?



16 comments:

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

Grease was always a guilty pleasure for me because even when I was younger I thought it wasn't quite the right message. Just put on some hot pants start smoking and probably putting out to land your man just didn't seem like the way to go, but the movie is certainly fun. Shudder - The Fly. Any of the superheros movie probably fit the bill too.

bermudaonion said...

Grease was the perfect pick for this topic. Happy New Year, Sandy!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

But the real accomplishment of Sandy in Grease, as far as I saw it, was getting into those stick-thin leather pants. (and back out of them again)

Unknown said...

Unique picks, and one's I wouldn't have thought of! I love your blog, Sandy, and enjoy each post you have! Happy New Year :)

Trisha said...

Ally Sheedy's transformation was awesome! And I completely agree with you about Sandy; looking back, it just seems like a really sad event, a loss of self to impress a boy.

Zibilee said...

The transformation in Grease always makes me smile, but I do agree that now that I am getting older it does grate on my nerves a little. I also love your choice of The Fly. That was one seriously gross transformation!

Alyce said...

I'm thinking of the Grinch and Ebenezer Scrooge from the Christmas Carol (probably because I've been watching them non-stop lately). Not physical changes though, more attitude changes.

Unknown said...

Great choices, Sandy! Love the Breakfast Club and Grease, such fun movies. The Fly, what a creepy, icky and funny (after the 1sy viewing!) movie.

Teacher/Learner said...

Nice choices! I've always thought the Breakfast Club reveal scene was the sweetest ever. I would add Bridget from Bridget Jones's Diary to the list, given the number of habits (overdrinking, overeating, smoking, liking Daniel Cleaver, disliking Mark Darcy) she (mostly) overcame by the end :)

Heidenkind said...

Stranger Than Fiction--I love the transformation of Will Ferrel's character.

ds said...

Groundhog Day is great--terrific choice (who doesn't love Bill Murray?)! But now I've got "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee" running through my head. Thanks alot, Sandy ;)

The Bumbles said...

Damn - forgot about Jack. He does lose his mind in the downward spiral of crazy. I can always count on you to work in some King ;0)

Darlene said...

I love Groundhog Day and The Shining. Jack's transformation never fails to freak me out and Groundhog Day - well I've watched that one about as many times as he woke up to a new day in the movie. lol.

Kathleen said...

You picked some good ones. I was horrified to see that change in The Fly but I couldn't look away either!!

Unknown said...

Even as a kid I thought Grease had a creepy message. Consider that Travolta had changed and was wearing a sweater in the end. But I did like the car race.

If you've never seen it, try Bette Davis in Jezebel. She goes from a shallow, self-centered society girl to a dedicated woman willing to give up her own life for others. And it has a great ballroom sequence where she arrives to the "white" ball in a red dress. Scandalous.

Anonymous said...

I included Sandy on my list too :)