Saturday, January 1, 2011

2010 Challenge Wrap Up


This year, the challenges plum wore me out. It is easy to get excited about them. Library! I can do that! Audiobooks? That is totally my gig. Memoirs? I love memoirs. Graphic novels? I want to try them. But at the end of the day, there were things I wanted to read, but didn't. Now I'm irritated.

Despite my annoyance, I did pretty well. Here are the list of my challenges and the results - I failed to complete one. I am not going to add titles or links, because that is way more work than I want to do right now. I'm tired!

1. Support Your Library Reading Challenge - 25 out of 25 read

2. 100+ Reading Challenge - 140 books read

3. Graphic Novels Challenge - 3 out of 3 (plus a whole lot more!)

4. Memorable Memoir Reading Challenge - 4 out of 4

5. Amy Einhorn Perpetual Challenge - 2

6. E-Book Challenge - 6 out of 6

7. Audiobook Challenge - 20 out of 20

8. Twenty Ten Challenge - 20 out of 20

9. Read and Review Challenge - up to date

10. TBR Challenge - 7 out of 12 (My big failure!)

11. Read the Book/See the Movie Challenge - 4 out of 4

12. Read From My Shelves Project - 30 out of 30

13. Vietnam War Challenge - 5 out of 5

14. Okra Challenge - 4 out of 4

15. RIP Challenge - 4 out of 4 (plus more!)


For 2011, I have taken the TBR Dare from James, and will only read my printed books from now through April 1st. It will be good for my soul. I will continue to keep track of Amy Einhorn imprints - that one offers no pressure. I may read a western in May with James. I may be sucked into RIP in the fall, because it is tradition. But as of right now, I'm laying low and doing as I please!

Happy New Year everyone!

21 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

You did great! In fact, I wish you would read less, so I wouldn't have so much pressure on my TBR pile! :--)

Kaye said...

You can be proud of yourself to achieve so much. You joined a lot of challenges - that's daunting in itself. This seems to be the year to read deliberately and not have so much pressure. Happy New Year to you and your family.

Julie P. said...

You are amazing and a challenge role model for me. I can't even write a summary post because it's so embarrassing!

Molly said...

IMPRESSIVE! With as busy as your personal life is, I don't know how you found the time to complete so many challenges.

I hope you and your family have a lovely new year's weekend, Sandy!

Beth F said...

YOu did great! I just keep track as I go and then silently delete the ones I failed at. I don't let challenges rule me, so I'm not stressed.

Unknown said...

I don't understand why so many people grade themselves on their challenges. Will you get detention if your grade is low?

I say, sign up for all you want to, do as many as you like, have fun with them. Why worry?

I've signed up for four in 2011 and am running two. I do think the challenges with shorter time spans are the way to go. Trying to keep up with them for an entire year can become a chore.

I like the ones that are read one of this kind of book in this month. That's easy. That's fun. That makes me read books I might not otherwise pick up. I would like to do more read-a-longs this year.

I think we need to bring more fun back into book blogging, over all. Any ideas?

I'm hoping The TBR Dare will be fun for people. I see it as a game like Survivor. Who will last the longest sort of thing. If people stop having fun, I hope they'll stop the dare.

And can I just say that your cats sure do sleep a lot. ;-)

Happy New Year.

Literary Feline said...

Congratulations on doing so well on your challenges, Sandy! I know what you mean about being annoyed with yourself when you can't finish them all. I try not to be, but it seems in nonetheless.

Alyce said...

Congratulations on all of your finished challenges! You read a lot this year!

I couldn't resist joining a few challenges this year, but am cutting back on them too. The ones that I'm joining are very low-key and basically allow me to track what I'm reading and categorize it. I think I participated in about 25 challenges last year and will only be doing about 10 this year. Ok, so I obviously still have a problem... :)

I also stopped by to wish you a Happy New Year!

a quiet life said...

first time here, love bumping into another avid reader. congrats to all your reading success and enjoyed all your top pick lists. happy new year of reading to you~

Trisha said...

I seem to luck out with challenges. Rarely do I have to bypass something I want to read in order to complete a challenge; actually I don't think I ever have. I don't like the pressure, so I keep it easy and things have a tendency to work out.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

You did well!

The cat looks comfortable, very comfortable! :)

Happy New Year!

Darlene said...

You did awesome Sandy! Good luck on the TBR dare!

Melissa said...

You did great on the challenges! I love them, but with my lack of reading time (I need to get off the computer!), i just don't seem to finish them.

Iliana said...

Happy New Year Sandy!

Wow, you did great on your challenges! I got a bit worn out with mine too and that's why this year no challenges, save the RIP one because like you said, it's tradition.

Alice said...

Happy New Year, Sandy!

You're my role model. You did so well I want to bow down to you. This year I want to whittle down my TBR pile and not joining challenges. :D

Melody said...

You did well, Sandy! This year around I'll focus more on my TBR pile instead of reading challenges though they're fun and I've participated in three so far. Anyway who knows if I'll add more when the time goes, ha!

Happy reading!

Zibilee said...

I am impressed with how well you did, actually! I have no follow through when it comes to these things, which is way I don't ever really get involved in very many...

Kathleen said...

I swore off all challenges last year and it felt so good! Enjoy the freedom of reading what you want, when you want!

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Well done!! I hope that I can achieve just a fraction of this in 2011.

By the way, I absolutely love the picture of the cat for this post. Sooo cute!

Anna said...

You done good! ;) Thanks for taking part in the Vietnam challenge!

Jenners said...

You did fantastic ... but I relate to feelings of resentment. It all sounds so good in the beginning and then I began to dislike the sense of obligation. I'm just doing a few in 2011 -- and keeping them small and fun.