Monday, October 4, 2010

Monday Movie Meme - The Unexplained


This week, the Bumbles have gotten their Monday Movie Meme topic from their blog-buddy Jehara. And that is all things supernatural, witchy, or alieny. To me, this is a wide-open field for any kind of horror film...how to decide? Well, I won't bother you with The Shining again. Most of these aren't Oscar winners, but I enjoy them all the same:

1. Paranormal Activity - For a group of friends, a video camera and a few bucks, this movie sure did scare the living hell out of me and rock America's socks off. I didn't understand all the fuss for the first half of the film, but in the last half, when all that STUFF happens to the woman while they are sleeping, I was sufficiently spooked. I'm not surprised that they are coming out with a sequel, but doubt there is any way it can match this one.

2. The Blob - I recently rewatched this childhood favorite of mine, and was horrified and embarrassed at how corny it was - total B movie kitsch. Still, I believe it was one of the first scary movies I ever watched, and it resides in my nostalgic heart as the ultimate alien flick.

3. Contact - I saw this movie three or four times, and loved it every time. Why? I'm still trying to answer that question. Something about it was appealing to me. I love Jodi Foster, the plot was exciting, but methinks it had more to do with the character played by Matthew McConaughey (before he got all into himself) in which he is quite comely.

4. The Grudge - When I originally viewed this movie with my husband, we were jittery for several nights afterward. We have been recently re-visiting some of our favorite scary movies with our kids, and I will admit it wasn't nearly as freaky the second time around. Somethng about those Japanese horror remakes though...the black hair and black eyes...eek.

5. The Ring - The consensus in the Nawrot house is that this is the scariest movie made in some time. The first time I watched it, me, the queen of horror flicks, had to cover her eyes and almost had to leave the room. In watching it again a month or two ago, it had not lost it's verve.


So what say you about aliens, witches and paranormal films? Which are your go-to favorites?




18 comments:

Zibilee said...

Have you ever seen District 9? That was one of the weirdest alien/horror movies that I have ever seen, but really there was so much more to it. I actually had to stop watching it for a little bit, and then go back to it later because it was just such a difficult movie for me. I'd be curious to hear what you thought of it of you've watched it.

I like your choices, and also thought that The Grudge and The Ring were pretty scary.

I don't watch many horror movies much anymore. I just don't handle them as well as I used to!!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I agree about The Ring - pretty darn scary!

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

I agree with you -- there is just something about Contact that is so appealing! I felt like it was a very well told story and seemed so much like what I imagine could happen if alien life forms really did try to communicate to us...Jodie Foster is incredible, and McConaughey sure helps it, too! :)

The Grudge -- *Aweome!* Creepy! There's a part where that creepy chick is reflected in the train (or was it a bus?) window so unexpectedly, and all I know is I ended up behind Jason, with no memory of screaming and jumping and hiding! :)

The Ring -- Agree with you completely. SPOILER to those who haven't seen it: The way that chick just started coming out of the TV at the end!!!! Aaggh!!!!

The Ring and The Grudge -- loved them the best!! Have you seen Halle Berry's Gothika? Not bad!

Teacher/Learner said...

Great choices! I also thought Paranormal Activity had a lot of lead-up but was worth it for the creepy last half (eek!). Here's some others I thought of:

The Exorcist--scariest ever, IMO

Alien & Aliens--best in sci-fi/horror

Poltergeist--still not bad

The Mist--the best recent horror/sci-fi I've seen (from Stephen King novella)

bermudaonion said...

I haven't seen any of these movies, but I don't do scary movies - they keep me awake at night.

Lee said...

How did you do it? I haven't seen a single one you've listed! :)

Teacher/Learner - Have to agree with you about The Exorcist. How did I forget to put it on my list. D'oh.

Kathleen said...

I've never see The Ring. Sounds like I better add it to the old Netflix queue muy pronto!

Unknown said...

I liked Paraormal Activity a lot, and the Blob was great fun. I still haven't seen the other three! I'll check them out one of these days...

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree more with you about Contact, Sandy. I think it's a terrific movie & one I can watch over & over. Jody Foster is great & I liked Matthew McC here & I think it must be because it s one of his earlier gigs when he was a normal guy actor.
The Blob is an awesome movie, so corny & kitsch which is what I love about it. Every once in a while it's shown on the scifi channel & worth watching for a good laugh!
I don't recall ever hearing about Paranormal Activity. I'm going to check Netflix for this one!

The Ring is totally scary but there are some other Japanese horror films that scared me a little more. Of course I can't remember the names - I have to do some research!

Great list, Sandy!
~ Amy

Heidenkind said...

Wasn't there a funny movie with Beth Midler as a witch? I liked that one. :P

caite said...

I was a very easily scared child...never watched horror movies...except the Blob, which, corny as it may be, scared me.
Contact is a good one. But then I am a great Jodi fan.

Unknown said...

Contact is pretty good; I saw it when I was young, and it was a bit drawn out for me, but I need to re-watch it now. I completely agree with you about Matthew McConaughey, then and now...As always, great list! :)

Melody said...

Great choice! I still think The Ring is one of the scariest movie being made after all this time. Thai flick, The Shutter, is next on my list.

Jenners said...

I love love love "Contact." I saw it 4 times in the theater. That opening sequence just rocked my socks off.

And I've never seen Paranormal Activity but you're making me curious. I'm a big baby though so I guess I shouldn't watch it at night.

Alice said...

My brother loved Paranormal Activity and he's looking forward to the sequel. And why is it not surprising that I've not watched any of the movies listed here? ;-)

The Bumbles said...

Hmmm - I'm bumping The Ring up for our Halloween queue - even though Andy doesn't really enjoy scary movies. They give him the shivers! Last year I tormented him with Hostel - which was just gory.

The Blob was very cheesy upon later viewings. But The Fog - that one still holds up I think.

Anonymous said...

I thought The Ring was surprisingly scary too!

Literary Feline said...

Of the movies you mention, I've only seen Contact (loved it!) and The Ring. I do want to see Paranormal Activity someday.