Friday, October 1, 2010

The Irresistable OKRA Picks Challenge




Before you throw a tomato at me, and tell me that I am always whining about having too many challenges, hear me out.

Lately, you have been listening to a few of us go on and on about how wonderful the SIBA Trade Show was last week, how passionate this organization is about books, and how supportive they are of bloggers (we love Wanda!) Now is our chance to return some of that love. Each season, SIBA chooses a group of Southern books to handsell called the OKRA picks, and Kathy from Bermudaonion has decided to make a reading challenge of this fall's selections. The challenge lasts from October 1, 2010 through March 31, 2011, so you've got plenty of time to soak up all that southern goodness, and maybe even pick up a prize. (See Kathy's website for all the details.)

There are 13 books available to read for this challenge, and this past weekend I picked up four of them. So my goal will be to read all four, putting me at the "Tater" level. (If you want to read less, you can be a Goober. I love these level names. Kathy you crack me up!) Here are the books in my possession:

My Only Sunshine - Lou Dischler

Zora and Me - Victoria Bond and T.R. Simon

The Typist - Michael Knight

Carry the Rock - Jay Jennings



Never mind that I still have challenges I may never finish this year. Right now it is all about OKRA! Care to join us????


13 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm so glad you decided to join, Sandy!! All of the books you got sound fabulous!

Kathleen said...

I don't sign up for challenges anymore but appreciate learning about new books form Southern authors! I will be enjoying the challenge vicariously through you!

Julie P. said...

Yay -- good for you! I'm so glad we're in this one together! Should be some good reading!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I'm joining too! As a Goober...

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I swore I wouldn't join any more challenges but there are at least two books on the Okra list that are already on my TBR list. I should be able to attain Goober status, LOL.

caite said...

I will not repeat my anti-challenge rant. ;-)
good luck.

Iliana said...

I won't be joining in but love your spirit! :)

Have fun with the challenge and you know I'll be looking forward to your reviews. Those "levels" have the best names.

patebooks said...

Sandy -- so happy you enjoyed SiBa. I went to my first (SEBA then) in Atlanta 25 years ago in Atlanta and covered it every year till I stopped working in 2005. I always feel like I'm at a family reunion with the booksellers, publishers, writers, etc. As you saw on my blog, I'm already a "goober'' on Kathy's challenge. Will sign up as peach and hope for okra!
Cheers! Nancy

Amy said...

Wow, I would love to win a copy of this book. It sounds horrifying and fascinating. I have a book on wrongful convictions in Canada to read atm too!

Alice said...

Hi Sandy, thanks for highlighting this challenge! I've decided to participate and even identified the books I'd be reading for this challenge. I'd be posting about this on my blog soon!

Zibilee said...

I am going to be doing my best to read as many of the books in this challenge as I can! I have quite a few, and the ones I don't have give me a great chance to support the closest independent bookstore!

Anna (Diary of an Eccentric) said...

I don't have room for another challenge, but I hope you have fun!

Melissa said...

I can't even find time to read these days, so no challenges for me, but it still sounds like fun.