Thursday, October 14, 2010

The 2nd Annual Fall Festival Recipe Exchange - Indonesian Fried Chicken



It's that time of year again! Amy @ My Friend Amy is hosting the 2nd Annual Fall Festival Recipe Exchange, where all of us get to share our favorite foods that we save especially for that cozy fall weather.

Today I'm going to reveal a huge favorite in the Nawrot house - Indonesian Fried Chicken. My husband and son beg specifically for this dish on a monthly basis (my daughter can't decide whether she likes meat or not). It is very easy to make and it makes the whole house smell wonderful! The recipe comes from The New York Times Cookbook, which I've had forever and is one of my go-to cookbooks.

Indonesian Fried Chicken

1 chicken cut into serving pieces
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbl ground cumin
1/2 Tbl turmeric
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp lemon juice
Oil for deep frying

In a bowl, mix dry ingredients well. Add soy sauce and lemon juice, and combine into a paste. Add the chicken to the bowl, and massage the paste into all the pieces of the chicken. (Sandy tip: this stuff will stain your fingers and clothes, so wear latex gloves and an apron!!!) Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Heat the oil to 370 degrees. Cook the pieces until golden brown.





















Yeah baby! Don't count your calories on this night!





21 comments:

Ana S. said...

Ooh, this sounds wonderful! And I'll be sure to drop by Amy's for more ideas. I love fall food.

Molly said...

This sounds fabulous - but alas, I fail at frying chicken. I am not sure what the problem is, but it never tastes or looks as good as others.

Chrisbookarama said...

Sounds fairly easy to make!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Oh goodness. I've never had much luck with fried chicken, but maybe that's because I bake it (shame on me for trying to watch the calories). But a recipe your husband begs for? I need that! Will give this a try--and have all the ingredients already!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I love cooking with cumin and tumeric, but you're right, they definitely stain!

Jen - devourer of books said...

Oh my gosh, my husband would loooooove this. Will have to save this post!

Zibilee said...

My recipe for fried chicken doesn't sound half as good ad this one, so I am going to have to try this. It sounds wonderful and I love the addition of cumin and tumeric. Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

bermudaonion said...

This sounds fabulous, but I don't fry anything, so I'll have to come to your house to have some.

Alice said...

OMG. I love fried chicken! It's 11 p.m. and I'm hungry. I can't fry a chicken to save my life, but I sure love noming them.

The Bumbles said...

Wow - this is a lot nicer than my go-to warm & comfy food - grilled cheese and tomato soup!

Julie P. said...

Yum... Just wondering if you've ever tried to bake the chicken?

Heidenkind said...

I tried making a recipe similar to this once called curried fried chicken, but I'm really terrible at frying things. I don't know why.

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

Ooohhh...I think we may have to try this...my kids will eat chicken legs anyway I fix them! Thanks.

Beth F said...

Oh man. Yuuuuuummmmmmyyyyyyy!!! I totally missed out this year. I meant to share. Sigh.

Darlene said...

Oh boy, that sounds soooooooo good! Who wants to worry about calories anyway.

Amy said...

YUM!

Susan said...

Yum! This sounds delish! I even have the cumin and the turmeric; in fact, everything but the chicken. I'll try this one soon. Thank you.

Grace. said...

This recipe sounds delicious, but you've run afoul (afowl if you're feeling punny) of my pet peeve when good cooks hand out recipes--they tell you to "fry until done." Say what? How long is that? How do I know? And what does "golden brown" tell me? So please--how long do I fry the pieces?

Sheree said...

i am totally gonna try this recipe!!!

sheree
booknroll.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

Since we raise cattle we don't eat a whole lot of chicken, but this sounds FABULOUS! I'll have to try this when hubby is gone.

Kathleen said...

This sounds and looks delicious!p