Monday, June 29, 2009
This week's Monday Movie Meme from the Bumbles is all about action heroes. Its summer, after all, and you know what that means! Big budget movies where you get a healthy dose of car chases, explosions and serious butt-kicking action. Here are some of the characters that do a fine job of representing their genre:
1. John McClane (Die Hard) - In my mind, John McClane is the epitome of the action hero. He's an everyman, tortured, struggles to keep his job and his marriage together, smokes and drinks past the healthy limit. And he kicks so much butt, it just gives me the chills and makes ME want to go out and beat up bad guys. John McClane is THE MAN.
2. Martin Riggs (Lethal Weapon) - Riggs runs a pretty close second to McClane. He is tortured and more than a bit crazy, has a pretty hot mullet going on, but lacks the testosterone that McClane has.
3. Harry Callahan (Dirty Harry) - This role was originally slated for Frank Sinatra, then John Wayne, Marlon Brando, Audie Murphy, Steve McQueen, and Paul Newman. But when Clint was left standing at the end of the line and nailed the part, it made our day.
4. Tony Stark (Iron Man) - Apparently resurrected from a dead career, Robert Downey Jr. donned his little powered suit of armor and blew this movie into the stratosphere. I liked this character because not only is he fearless and a dude, he's a brainiac.
5. Terminator - I'm not quite as emotionally invested in this series, but it had such a big impact on pop culture that it bears mentioning. You can't help but be impressed with Arnold and his imposing presence on the screen.
6. Ethan Hunt (Mission Impossible) - I'll be the first one in line to join the "Tom Cruise annoys me" club. Begrudgingly, however, I will admit to enjoying this series. The action sequences are a rush, and I love the whole gig when they peel off those life-like masks.
7. Tom Stall (History of Violence) - Viggo. Need I say more?
So which characters are your favorite action heroes?