Sunday, September 7, 2014

Sunday Salon: Slight derailment

 Happy Sunday everyone!  Because of Labor Day, we had a shorter week but it sure didn't feel like it.  There is just so much going on, I feel like I am in a tornado of STUFF.  Finally after four months, a tiny bit of work is being done on our demolished wall, but that requires babysitting (especially when the clean-up crew punctured a water main which was fun).  My son was supposed to have a gastric scan but that went bust when he couldn't choke down the green radioactive eggs.  We had to reschedule, and this time I guess we will try oatmeal.

Yeah.  We will see how that goes.

Starting a major overhaul of the backyard, so I'm getting bids while simultaneously attempting to prepare the area for this work.  Had some pool issues going on.  Have some very sick loved ones who are battling cancer, and are always on my mind.  I'm not yet settled I guess is the bottom line, which means that I am easily distracted.  I picked this week to start watching "American Horror Story" on Netflix (Seasons 1 and 2 at least), and with my spinning brain combined with my obsessive nature, I basically derailed.  I didn't read any print at all (currently about 150 pages into "Wool").  I didn't read blogs.  I just watched hour after hour of this freaky, disturbing show that is completely up my alley.  I don't know, I'd say the creators could give old Uncle Stevie a run for his money.  I think I may heave a sigh of relief when I knock this series out so I can try to return to the land of the living.  At least I'll be prepared for Season 4 which starts early October, and has the theme of "Freak Show" which will tie nicely into Ti and my readalong of "Something Wicked This Way Comes".

I did make some progress with my current audio "The Ice Princess" by Camilla Lackberg.  I can't say it has blown my mind yet.  The narrator's voice tends to cause my mind to wander, but I am getting invested in the characters, and probably will continue the series.

Today we have church, my daughter's SAT class, and probably that is it (pool floating for me perhaps?).  The kids are slammed with homework.  Hope you all have a pleasant and relaxing day.  Is anyone reading anything good?



11 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I just finished This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper. It was a laugh out loud funny book that is a light read and perfect for when it's hard to concentrate. The movie comes out this month. Now, I need to read the Orchardist for Book Group!

bermudaonion said...

Oh, I hear you. I'm so distracted lately, I could scream. We had to have our upstairs HVAC replaced this week and babysitting those guys just about did me in.

JoAnn said...

Seems like this is the month for distractions... sigh.

I had a quick overnight with my mother and sisters to celebrate her birthday. It's an annual event that we have somehow missed for the past two years because of everyone's crazy schedules... so, it was amazing to finally spend time with them all.

Still plugging away at the 900 page ANAmerican Tragedy... a little wordy, but what a great story!

Alyce said...

Netflix is so detrimental to reading, but a nice distraction in tough times. I've been making my way through Alias since I only watched a few episodes of it when it was on TV. I'm reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss right now. Oh, and radioactive green eggs sound so gross. I hope he has better luck with the oatmeal.

Anonymous said...

I get sidetracked by Netflix on a regular basis-- I watch it on my kindle fire so it's easy to plop down anywhere in the house and watch.

Hope your son has better luck with the next procedure. When my husband and I had gastric scans in the past year or so we just drank something. Not sure why they gave your son food, but maybe his age? Anyway, hope it goes well.

Have a more relaxing week.

Vicki said...

I've never seen American Horror Story, I'll have to check it out!

I'm reading The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell for the readalong.

SAT classes on Sunday? I hope your son's tests come back ok.

Iliana said...

Aw Sandy, a tornado of stuff. I understand! I've been transfixed by youtube crafting videos instead of actually doing much - haha...

Anyway, I hope all goes well for your son's scan and good wishes for your loved ones.

Hang in there!

Beth F said...

Ugh on babysitting workers. Hope you found some downtime on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

So much going on! Seems like a perfect time for binge-watching Netflix. If you run out of American Horror (which I think you're nuts to watch - shudder!), you should try Justified. Best writing and acting I've seen on TV in a long time.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about everything you're going through. I really hope that those with cancer do well and that you can sort out your son's gastric problems.

I know all about building problems - I've been having them for months now! I hope you get it all sorted soon.

Ti said...

And here it is, Tuesday already, and I am just now able to respond! I don't really have a lot going on this week but it feels like I do, only because I am getting myself all worked up over all of the rehearsals starting, etc. I do this to myself. It's really not too much of an issue until the holidays hit.

Drama. I create it.

The spin off of TWD is in the works. I am sure we will be glued to the TV when that hits next year.

Reading. Can't wait for our freaky read along. I hope it's truly scary. I know sometimes these classic books are like cake walks compared to more recent stuff but I hope to be freaked out in some way. We have more people signing up daily although they may not officially sign up, they tell me so, so we have a nice group to join us.