Sunday, October 20, 2013

Sunday Salon: Hangovers

 Good morning my bloggy friends.  I write today with a slightly heavier heart than usual.  No fewer than a half dozen people I consider good friends are having some major troubles going on right now, if not to them, then to people they love.  Everything from illness, surgeries, cancer, troubled teenagers, children taken into protective custody...it is like everyone was drinking from the same tainted water, man.  So before I begin blathering about silly things, please let me send out my heartfelt prayers to those who are suffering.  I'm thinking about you, and you know who you are.

Now as far as hangovers.  You all know I love my wine, but I'm not talking about THAT kind of hangover.  I'm talking about what happens when you immerse yourself in something, become addicted to it, then suddenly it is gone from your life.  The first hangover I had was when I finished the last episode of Breaking Bad last Sunday night.  EPIC ENDING.  But it was over!  I'll never be able to watch it again for the first time, never be amazed at the stunning writing from week to week.  I'll probably never see anything this close to perfection on TV ever again.  I'm not exaggerating.  And no more Jesse!  I cried for over an hour.  My family thought I was nuts.


















I also finished the 21-disc audio of "Insomnia", a re-read from my earlier days.  That is a long book.  So much that when I finished (especially after the incredible ending), I was sort of at odds with what to do with myself.  The only solution was more Mo Hayder.  My last in the Jack Caffrey series.  Once I finish this installment, I'll have to wait for her to write another one.  Yet another hangover in the making.

I've also started reading "Rose Under Fire" by Elizabeth Wein.  This is a sort-of sequel to "Code Named Verity", which I read about a year ago and really liked.  I'm about 40% of the way through, and it is excellent.  She writes such strong, young female characters!

We saw Gravity yesterday in 3D IMAX.  It felt pretty Hollywood-y and there wasn't much in the way of character development beyond the surface, but the effects were stunning.  Definitely worth paying a little extra for 3D IMAX for this one.

So the week I'm facing is going to be a humdinger.  It is football playoff time, and my son is facing three or four games this week plus two practices.  My daughter has Cross Country Districts this week.  And my husband is out of town.  Methinks I'll be living in my car for the week.  Thank God for audios, is all I have to say.

Hope you all have a restful, peaceful Sunday!  

















14 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I wonder if I would have liked Gravity more in IMAX 3D? Vance wanted to see it that way but 3D movies make me feel sick. I am such a wimp.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sandy. <3

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I'm not sure about Gravity...I like Sandra Bullock a lot, but it seems like such a depressing plot :/

Anonymous said...

I'm with Kathy - I can't do 3D. But I am taking my son to see it on Tuesday evening.

Glad to hear Rose Under Fire is good - I always worry about a second book when the first is so outstanding.

Anonymous said...

Rose Under Fire is so good but so harrowing I had to take a break before blogging it.
Ah, Mo Hayder. Wonder how long before I start rereading them to stave off my craving for creepy!

Molly said...

Obviously I have GOT to watch Breaking Bad, although I am probably the only person in the country who has not managed to see it yet...

Hope your week is not too hectic... and playoffs go well.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear of your friends. Very difficult times. I just have no desire to see Gravity not sure why.
Be safe as you travel everywhere...it's a lot!!

Beth F said...

We're up to 2 Breaking Bad episodes a night. LOL

JoAnn said...

My husband wants to see Gravity, but I'm not really looking forward to it at all. After Jill's review, I'm looking forward to Rose Under Fire and am glad to know you're enjoying it, too.

Ti said...

Thanks for thinking of all of us. I know many are struggling right now. It's sort of a weird time with so much angst going around.

Gravity. I am not sure what to think about it. I don't get to go to the movies too often but this one has me thinking a trip (for the distraction alone) might be in order.

For TV I am totally immersed in American Horro Story: Coven. I have seen all the seasons and this one seems to be the tamest, but witches played by Kathy Bates and Jessica Lange?? Yes, please.

Darlene said...

It's been a rough year for sure for a lot of people. I'm hoping next year is going to be a lot better.

I haven't seen Gravity but I do want to. I've seen mixed reviews on it so I'll likely wait and rent it.

Have a good week my friend!

Literary Feline said...

My heart goes out to everyone going through difficult times right now. I know of a few people who are going through a rough time of it right now and I wish I could offer more than a hug to see them through.

I really liked Gravity, personally. I thought I wouldn't, and maybe that's why I ended up liking it so much. I saw Captain Phillips more recently and liked that one as well.

I hope you find time to relax a little in between all the busy, Sandy!

Note to Molly - I haven't seen Breaking Bad either, so you aren't the only one. :-)

Iliana said...

Oh Sandy, I'm sorry to hear about the difficult times. Sending good thoughts to everyone!

I hate it when I get those kind of hangovers after watching a great show or reading a wonderful book. You are feel like what next right? Hope you will have a great week and enjoy your audio books!

Anonymous said...

I didn't see Gravity in 3D so I think I lost some of the appeal. I'm still on the fence on how I feel about it. I'm not sure I would have liked it all if I wasn't such a Sandy fan.