Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sunday Salon: Birthdays and Zombies and Vacations, Oh My!

 So I am sending all my well-wishes this morning from a gorgeous sunrise view of the Atlantic.  My family spent the weekend at New Smyrna Beach at some friends' condo to celebrate my 47th birthday.  There is no better way to toast another year of being alive.  I really could care less how old I am.  The only downside of it all was a particularly pesky stomach bug/flu thing that plagued me for most of this week.  But by yesterday I was starting to feel a little better.  Just in the nick of time.

Because next Friday, the cat-sitter moves into Casa Nawrot and my family will fly off to Poland for a couple of weeks.  Is it crazy that I'm JUST as excited about all that flying and driving time (aka undisturbed reading) as I am about the destination?  Long, quiet periods of reading time just don't happen in my day-to-day life so I have big expectations with a Kindle chock-full of good stuff.  But more on that in a minute.  In addition to spending time with my husband's family, we are planning on seeing Warsaw, Prague, and more.  Anyway, while I am away, the blog shall be going dark, and I'll turn the light back on again on the 15th.  I shall miss you!

So back to that Kindle topic.  Last week I went looking for my Kindle so I could load it up with all the books on my humongously long and continuously growing WANT LIST...and I couldn't find it.  Anywhere.  I generally only use it when I travel, so I went through all my suitcases, purses, etc. and the thing has disappeared.  Panic ensued.  My mom had given me Amazon money for my birthday, so I just decided to get a new one.  I couldn't be messing around, I've got books to read.  So hopefully by early next week, I'll be good to go.

Yesterday, after we'd hung at the beach for awhile, we showered and stormed the theater to see "World War Z".  What fun!  Brad Pitt and zombies, baby.  I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to write it up, but I will tell you it was definitely worth the price of admission.

So as far as reading while living in reality, it has been slow going.  I did finally finish Khaled Hosseini's "And the Mountains Echoed" on audio, and am now about halfway through "Lost in Shangri-La" by Mitchell Zuckoff.  In print, I did finish "Metro 2033" after reading it for nearly a month!  I admit it was worth it.  Now I am working my way through an ARC of the third installment of the Red River Mystery series by Reavis Wortham called "The Right Side of Wrong".  He writes such enjoyable books!  I am hoping to have that finished before I leave on my trip.

So I will bid you adieu for now.  I won't be back with my Sunday Salon until July 21st, and I'm sure I'll have lots of news to report.  Have a great Sunday!



18 comments:

Beth F said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth F said...

Safe travels. And 47 is still pretty young. :)

Unknown said...

Happy birthday! It isn't weird to enjoy the travelling - I enjoy the chance to read for long periods of time too. The only problem is that my boys are too young to allow me much peace on long journeys at the moment.One day!

Have a fantastic time in Poland!

bermudaonion said...

I'm with Candace - at 47 you're still a baby! I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope you have a great trip! You must be flying first class since you're looking forward to the trip.

The Relentless Reader said...

Happy birthday! Have a great trip!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

Have a wonderful trip!!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Your reading amount continues to amaze me!

JoAnn said...

Happy birthday... and have a wonderful trip!
47 sounds pretty young to me, too! ;-)

Alyce said...

Happy birthday! What a bummer about being sick for most of the week, but I'm glad you are feeling better now. I would completely flip if I lost my kindle. :)

I hope you have a fabulous trip and read lots of riveting and entertaining books!

I went to the movies for the first time in quite a while (at least a year, maybe two). We saw the Monsters Inc. prequel and loved it. Maybe someday we'll actually find a local sitter for the kids so we can go see films more often. At the very least in a year or two my oldest will be old enough to be the sitter. :)

ds said...

Happy birthday, and happy traveling!

Iliana said...

Happy Birthday Sandy! I'd love to go to Poland one day. You gotta tell us what books you are taking with you! :)

Bryan G. Robinson said...

Happy birthday, Sandy, and have a safe trip. See you in July.

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

Enjoy your vacation!! I am leaving for mine this Friday and I couldn't be more excited.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, dear friend - and have a wonderful trip! I hope Life After Life is on that Kindle. :)

Julie P. said...

Have a wonderful vacation!!! Happy Birthday!!

Anonymous said...

Happy 47 years young birthday! Enjoy the reading time :)

Darlene said...

Happy Birthday! I'll be 47 at the beginning of July so I'm right there with you. Lol.

I just got a Kindle Fire and I really like it for reading. It has a better voice for reading to you if you really don't feel like reading.

And as always I'm jealous of your trip to Poland. That's one place I'd love to visit one day. I'm looking forward to the pictures though! Have fun and stay safe!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Oh my gosh, losing my kindle is a scary thought! I can't wait to hear about your fun travels! Enjoy Prague, it's beautiful.