Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday Salon: Napa baby!


Last night as I fell into bed from the effects of time change and wine consumption, I had given myself permission to skip this Sunday Salon. But alas, I am on Florida time so even though I fought the urge to get up at 3am, I am up at 6. So I might as well chit chat with you since I'm here, right?

My week was primarily spent getting caught up on blogging. I wrote about six reviews, and boy did that feel good! Other than that, it was a pretty low maintenance week. It sure is nice to settle down under the radar now and again. My mind was focused primarily on our upcoming five day trip to Napa commencing Saturday morning. Originally, my mom and dad were going to take care of the kids, but my mom's still struggling in Indiana with her detached retina and just went through her third surgery (please send a prayer her way). So we hired a babysitter, and I had lists and lists of instructions and had to coordinate extracurricular activities. I was moderately stressed about the whole thing.

But now? It's all good now. We arrived in San Francisco yesterday morning, about an hour after our friends, had lunch in the city, then zipped up to one of our favorite places on earth. The smells! The grape vines! The wine! Although we have a pretty full schedule of appointments today through Tuesday, we were unencumbered yesterday, so we tracked down a vineyard up on Spring Mountain, Terra Valentine, getting in by dropping a few names, and had a delightful flight of tastings while overlooking the valley at sunset.
















It is going to be an incredible week! Our friends Craig and Kathy own a wine store in Windermere, FL so they have arranged some fun adventures for us with their trade connections. We are also staying at the properties of two different wineries for our accommodations. Last night and tonight we are staying in a little Victorian carriage house (where a lady has been plying us with fresh baked cookies, wine and bottles of water) on the property of Trinchero Wines. Am I really going to want to leave?

So as far as my reading, I finished the audio of David Sedaris's "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim", and I got my much needed belly laughs. I am several discs away from finishing a book club read "Cane River", which is a decent read. Sort of a miniature version of "Roots"...multi-generational story about a family of slaves in Louisiana in the 1800's. I'm not sure I will have time to finish it while wining, but I'm going to try.

The kids and I went by the library on Monday and gorged ourselves on tons of good bookish stuff. We got the audio "Fallen" (chosen by my daughter...no idea if it is good or not), and I checked out six graphic novels and "Nothing But Ghosts" by Beth Kephart. Woo hoo! I am hoping to read Ghosts and the graphic novel "French Milk" on this trip. I also finished a very strange book I had on my shelves called "The Store" by Bentley Little. I needed to read something I'd gotten from a resale shop to finish a challenge, so I picked this one. It was a slightly cheesier, but equally as scary version of a Stephen King-ish horror novel. King has even recommended this author in the past. Although I used to read this stuff all the time when I was younger, I don't think I could take it for long now. Oy vay.

I hope you all have a wonderful day, and wonderful week! Stay tuned for next Sunday Salon, where I will share a few more winey pictures with you.





25 comments:

Beth F said...

Two words: Jeal Ous. Have a fabulous time!!! Be sure to write up a wine post or two and share it for a Weekend Cooking -- I want to learn what you are learning!

Harvee said...

A wine trip I'd love to take some day! My Sunday Salon

Molly said...

When I was sixteen my family took a trip to California (my first and last time to really visit the area) and I remember Mom and Dad touring the vineyards and sharing in a tasting or two. I was SO bored!

Now I read your post and I am so jealous! It is an item on my "bucket list" that Geoff and I can take a trip to the wine country and really see the different wineries, take part in a few tastings, and experience the lifestyle that I only dream about.

Have a terrific time - and I'm with Beth F - please consider writing a few posts about what you have learned about wine.

Jen - Devourer of Books said...

Oh wine country, such a wonderful place! You should find an excuse to make your way out to the wine country in Santa Barbara sometime, it is fabulous as well.

Frances said...

You lucky, lucky woman! No need to say more.

Gavin said...

Napa is so beautiful! You are just a traveling fiend. Have a great time, Sandy.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

What a view! It looks wonderful. Can't wait to hear the rest! I bet your friends use different criteria than I do as to which wines to try (mine: which has the cutest label)...

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear your Mom is still suffering. I really hope she gets through it all soon.

Have a wonderful trip :-)

Heidenkind said...

That sounds quite lovely!

Melissa said...

All good thoughts for your mom. Your trip sounds wonderful ... enjoy!

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

So jealous!! It sounds like a fabulous time -- I've only been to Northern California for work only, not for fun, so I know that I am definitely missing out! How are you going to be able to leave?! It sounds like so many wonderful adventures are in store for you!! Hope you have a fabulous time -- can't wait to see more "winey" pictures next week! :)

Ana S. said...

Have a wonderful time, Sandy!

Melody said...

I'm definitely in need of a vacation!! Your trip sounds so fun! Have a great time, Sandy!

Jenners said...

Sounds like you need a getaway ... and Napa is the perfect place. Relax, drink, enjoy!

Kathleen said...

Sounds like you have a wonderful week ahead of you. This week the weather in Napa should be glorious. We had near 80 degrees here in San Jose today!

Zibilee said...

It sounds like you are having a great time out there, and there is more yet to come! Have a nice glass of white wine for me, and enjoy the rest of your vacation!

bermudaonion said...

That is the perfect trip for you!!! I just spent several days at my parents and now I need to spend some time playing blog catch up.

Literary Feline said...

I am glad you found some downtime, Sandy! I hope you are enjoying your time in Napa. It's been ages since I was last there.

I'm sorry to hear your mom is still struggling with her health issues. She's definitely in my prayers.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and week!

caite said...

I am on vacation...and up at 6 a.m. and feel no desire to chat..lol

Julie P. said...

I love that you thought of us on your vacation! I'm glad you're having such a great time. Happy Reading!

Alice said...

Oooooh... lovely! I want some of that wine too. I had so much fun at Hunter Valley in Australia 3 years ago. I definitely want a life in a place like that.

The Bumbles said...

That is such a pretty region isn't it? Sounds like the perfect getaway for you - with such knowledgeable friends as guides! Good for you two for ditching the kids for a grown-up trip - I remember my folks left us at home when they went to New Orleans one year - they still talk about how much fun they had without us ;0)

Ti said...

So close, yet so far away. SF is about 350 miles from me. Can you swing by to say hello??

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I visited Napa for the first time in August. It's just too much fun. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Do you ever let grass grow under your feet (or whatever that expression is!)??!

You are always on the go, and have such great stories to share with us :)