Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sunday Salon: The Christmas cheer continues



I never thought the day would come. School Christmas concert - check. Three more Christmas parties - check. Gifts delivered to teachers - check. Last day of school for two weeks - check. Managed to keep cat from ripping out all of his stitches - check. Yard mowed, pool cleaned, kitchen floor glazed, two dozen cookies baked, house cleaned, 15 miles walked, meals cooked, yes, yes, yes. It was a busy week, I admit, but there were still some wonderful, little blessings that plopped down in my lap in the middle of the tornado that was my life.

I received a package early in the week from Serena @ Savvy Verse and Wit. I had been expecting to receive a copy of The Michael Jackson Tapes that I won in her giveaway. What I didn't expect was the little box of Mrs. Fields chocolates, a glittermark bookmark, and a lanyard from the This Is It movie! It was like having another Secret Santa! Serena you made my day!

I also received my first copy of the magazine Bookmarks, an early gift from my parents. Oh the joy! I've been slowly poring over every page, taking note of every article and book review. Pure heaven is what it is.

At my golf league Christmas party, one of my friends and followers of my blog, Jean, came up to me with a beaming smile and handed me a gift. She said that of all people she had to buy gifts for, buying me one was most important to her. She got me an excellent bottle of Pinot (wee!) with a note attached that made me cry. Here is a snippet:

"It is through your love of reading, I was able to have the opportunity to read some of the best books ever. Books that I would have never read had you not given them rave reviews. I guess to use a cliche, I am guilty of judging a book by its cover. Please keep up the good work. I would be so sad if you stopped."

How sweet is that? It makes me want to blog forever.

On the reading front, I had a great week. The kids and I finished Catching Fire on audio, which pretty much blew us away. I've ordered the 5th Harry Potter on audio but we won't start that until we get back from vacation. I also finished The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker, as well as What I Talk About When I Talk about Running by Haruki Murakami, both on audio. I finished my tenth and last book for my Shelf Discovery Challenge, Flowers in the Attic, which I will review next Tuesday. I also read an ARC for a tour in January called The Body Scoop for Girls. I am also about halfway through How Clarissa Burden Learned to Fly by Connie May Fowler. What is going to completely break my heart is not being able to talk about it until it releases in April!!!!

Ziggy the Frankenkitty is healing well. He is limping, and sleeping alot, but his scar has scabbed over and seems to have his appetite back. He goes to the vet tomorrow to get his stitches removed, which will be a relief. I lived in fear the entire week, worrying that the other cats, who seem to sense his weakness, would rip them out, or he would chew them out himself. He has developed an undesirable habit of needing human assistance to use the litter box however. I think it may be hard for him to get in and out with his leg, so we have been reduced to lifting him in and out. As you can imagine, this is not a good thing, as we are not always here at his beck and call.

Officially my vacation starts next Tuesday, when my family and I get on a plane and head for Indiana to my parents' house for a week. I probably won't be socializing online as much as I normally do, but then again, you never know. I've got my trusty little netbook in my purse, waiting for action. Hope you all have a peaceful, relaxing Christmas week!

23 comments:

Susan said...

Sandy, your week was way more hectic than mine and I barely had time to look up much less do all the reading and blogging and so forth that you did. I don't know how you do it, my dear!

I'm so behind on commenting that my blog friends are going to think I'm ill or dead.

I hope you find time to relax a little this week!

Unknown said...

That is such a lovely note. It is wonderful when you bring pleasure to someone else through great book recommendations. I hope you keep blogging forever too!

I'm pleased to hear that Ziggy is getting better.

I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas week too!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

You got some lovely gifts this week! And I bet you will be combining the chocolate and the pinot! :--) (By the way, we found sort of by accident that chocolate and meritage go really well together!)

You read some good books too - I am really looking forward to the reviews!

bermudaonion said...

You have so busy and seem so far ahead in your reading. I'm beginning to think you really do have a clone.

Molly said...

WOW -- such a week -- I have no idea what to comment on first!

First of all, the fact that you are mowing grass in December through me for a loop, and, I must admit, got me to thinking that perhaps we should consider retirement in Florida :)

I would frame that note and keep it by the blogging computer.

I will certainly miss your friendly cyber conversations, but wish you very safe travels to my part of the country, where perhaps you will celebrate the holidays with a White Christmas.

Ana S. said...

Aw, such a thoughtful note and lovely gifts!

I'm glad to hear Ziggy is recovering well, and that you survived your busy week!

Literary Feline said...

You did it! Whew! Now you can maybe relax a little.

That was so sweet of Serena! And isn't Bookmarks great? My copy arrived in the mail this past week, but I haven't yet had a chance to flip through it.

It sounds like you've fit in a lot of reading in between that busy schedule of yours.

I'm so glad Ziggy is doing well. I noticed Anya has a big booboo on her chin. Not sure what she did, but it looks like it's healing which is good.

Enjoy your vacation, Sandy. Have a safe and fun trip!

Kathleen said...

Sounds like you had an awesome week but I think your positive attitude is what makes all of your weeks seem awesome...even the crazy ones! I'm so glad your little kitty is better and now you get to look forward to Indiana! Hope you have a wonderful week and blessed Christmas!

Danette Haworth said...

Poor Kittycat!

Just popping in to say MERRY CHRISTMAS! Have a good one!

Frances said...

You've given up sleeping, right? But then again, why sleep with so much potential fun in the holiday mix (notice how I totally glossed over the whole HUGE list of chores part).

The wine and note from a friend had to make both your holiday and your blogging life. Know that so many appreciate the great job that you do every day here. Happy holidays! Go let your Mom take care of you for a while.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

I love getting notes like that. Just a few words goes such a long way in making you want to keep working on your blog. I have received a few notes like that and it really brings home why I find blogging to be so rewarding. I want to chime in and say keep on blogging too!

It looks like you are very busy today and for the rest of the year! It always seems as if it is like that come this time of year. Good luck with the kitty!

Ti said...

You are one busy lady!! I think it was so sweet of your friend to write that note. A note like that means so much to a book blogger.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas Sandy. I have a feeling you will be online here and there but do enjoy your family and take lots of pics!

Oh and eat like it is going out of style cause it sort of is come Game On Monday!

ds said...

What a week!Lovely gifts, especially the note (that is a true friend)...So sorry to read about Ziggy and stitches; am all too familiar with that as you know. What happened? Is he all right? What we won't do for them...
Have a relaxing holiday week!!

Heidenkind said...

Sounds like you had a really great week!

Serena said...

Sounds like you have been very busy! WOW. I'm glad the book and other goodies made it to you!

Alyce said...

Wow, you got so much done last week! Congratulations! :)

What kind of events do you get to do with your golf league? (Is it just for fun, or do you compete?) I really want to get back into golfing, but something always seems to come up to keep us busy and then we don't get around to it.

I'm glad to hear that your kitty is doing well!

Jen - devourer of books said...

Have fun with your parents for the holidays!

Zibilee said...

Darn girl! You have had a hugely busy week! I am glad that you got everything done. I really like the note that your friend sent, it was very sweet.And it's good to hear that your kitty is getting better, though the litter box problem probably isn't fun to deal with. Here's hoping that you have a great holiday with your family and that you put that new notebook computer to good use! Merry Christmas!

caite said...

The good news is I don't have to mow my grass or rake anymore leaves.

The bad news is because it is all under 2 feet of snow. ;-)

but it is pretty.

Jenners said...

What a wonderful note you got ... that is better than any physical gift, don't you think?

And I don't know how you do it all ... you're making me look bad!

The Bumbles said...

1 Party - check. 2 nights of shopping expeditions - check. Thanking the big guy above for the hand-me-down snow blower from father-in-law in the nick of time for foot upon foot of snow - check. Not feeling bad about your hectic schedule when I read "lawn mowing" and "pool cleaning" on the chore list - check.

Cathy said...

Have a most wonderful time with your parents. I hope there's lots of snow for the kids. Merry Christmas!

Melissa said...

I've heard great things about Bookmarks magazine. I'll be interested to hear what treasures you discover from it.

Glad to hear that Ziggy is doing better!