Friday, May 24, 2013

Weekend Cooking: Grilled Fish Tacos with Chipotle-Lime Dressing

We love fish in our household, and have access to some amazingly fresh stuff living in Florida.  Awhile back, my husband went on a corporate fishing trip and came back with...I don't know...a whole shelf in my freezer full of mahi mahi.  Bags and bags of it.  I was thrilled!   I scoured the Internet for all the different ways I could make it, and I found the perfect recipe...grilled fish tacos!  I got this recipe from Allrecipes.com and it was such a hit that I made it over and over until the mahi was all gone.
Marinade
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbl distilled white vinegar
2 tbl fresh lime juice
2 tsp lime zest
1 1/2 tsp honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp hot pepper sauce, or to taste
1 pound tilapia (or mahi) fillets, cut into chunks

Dressing

1 8 oz. container of light sour cream
1/2 cup adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
2 TBL fresh lime juice
2 tsp lime zest
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
salt and pepper to taste

Toppings
1 (10 ounce) package tortillas
3 ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 small head cabbage, cored and shredded
2 limes, cut in wedges
1.  To make the marinade, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, lime zest, honey, garlic, cumin, chili powder, seafood seasoning, black pepper, and hot sauce in a bowl until blended. Place the fish in a shallow dish, and pour the marinade over the fish. Cover, and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours.

2.  
To make the dressing, combine the sour cream and adobo sauce in a bowl. Stir in the lime juice, lime zest, cumin, chili powder, seafood seasoning. Add salt, and pepper in desired amounts. Cover, and refrigerate until needed.

3.  
Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate. Set grate 4 inches from the heat.


Picture courtesy of Allrecipes














I would like to add that I'm not a fan of grilling (grills scare me).  So if my husband wasn't home, or if it was raining, I would pan sear the fish instead, or throw the fish on my indoor counter grill, and both ways tasted great.

*************  


Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post at Beth Fish Reads.




13 comments:

bermudaonion said...

It's official - Carl wants to move in with y'all so he can eat your cooking.

ds said...

YUM! We love fish tacos here; I serve them with guacamole. I will definitely be trying this recipe. Thanks for sharing, Sandy!

Ti said...

OMG! Fish tacos are yummy!! I want one!

Julie P. said...

That marinade sounds amazing! Not really into cream sauces, but that marinade would be heavenly on fish.

Unknown said...

Super yummm! I'll be making these very soon. We all love fish tacos here!
Thanks Sandy.

JoAnn said...

I think my oldest daughter could live on fish tacos. Will try this recipe the next time she is home - thanks!

Heidenkind said...

JEALOUS. Around here the freshest fish we get is rainbow trout. It is delicious, though!

Beth F said...

this sounds really good. We grill fish all the time. I'll have to add that marinade to my list.

Carole said...

Lovely - I'll have to try it myself. Cheers

caite said...

oddly, I have never had a fish taco...I need to fix that.

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

Wow, these sound fantastic.

Darlene said...

Oh boy, those do look yummy!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Must try to make these!

Here's my Weekend Cooking post.