Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sunday Salon: My Favorite Time of Year

Good morning my friends!  Many of you commented that I sounded very relaxed last weekend after my week in St. George.  I was!  For about 24 hours.  Then my husband left for business trips for the week, my kids had activities four out of the five days during the week, and I launched into holiday decorating and shopping.  Ack!

But it is my favorite time of the year.  Once the tree and the lights were finally up, I felt a small sense of zen. 

I supported the nation's economy on Cyber-Monday by doing every bit of ordering I could online.  Hey, if there is free shipping, I'm there.  I do not like getting into games of chicken for parking spots at the mall. 

I shipped off my box 'o goodies for the Book Blogger Holiday Swap.  Isn't it so much fun?  Then you get to see all the posts of what people received.  I get so excited over the whole thing.

Also next week, one of my book clubs not only is going to discuss "Room", but will also bring a wrapped book and do a pirate exchange, Yankee exchange, or whatever other term (they are usually non-PC terms) you want to call it.

For the first time in ages, I played some golf on Thursday, and had the best score I've had in probably a year.  Damn that felt good!

I suppose this weekend will go down as one of the busiest EVER.  Friday night, after my son's basketball tryouts, we went out with some friends for a special 4 course dinner thing we got at an auction.  So good!  Saturday my daughter had to take an entrance exam for the high school she is going to attend (!?), then both kids had an 8 hour final track meet for the season.  But of course my husband's Christmas party was last night too, so children had to be shuffled.  Today, my daughter has an all-day Confirmation retreat, and my husband and son are going to a Father/Son football game in Tampa to see the Bucs.  I have no idea what I'm going to do.  Something bookish I predict.  Something relaxing?  We'll see if my guilt will allow me.

I finished up a couple of books this week in print.  I wrapped up "My Soul To Take" by Yrsa Sigurdardottir, which was entertaining but had some issues.  Then from the library I received the graphic novel "The Green River Killer:  A True Detective Story" by Jeff Jensen and Jonathan Case, which was excellent.  A total geek fest for me, since I love both true crime and graphic novels.  Now I am working my way through "Joy for Beginners" by Erica Bauermeister (whom I fell in love with when I read "The School of Essential Ingredients").

On audio, I wrapped up Patrick Ness's "Monsters of Men", and am grieving now on how I'm going to write the reviews for this trilogy.  I am now very very close (less than a disc left) to finishing "Before I Go To Sleep" by S.J. Watson.  This is a selection for January for Books, Babes and Bordeaux.  Pretty creepy, pretty twisty.

Hope you all have a nice Sunday, whatever is on your agenda!      

  

21 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Hah! $50 says you don't relax today, but start at least 3 other projects!

Ana S. said...

I'm SURE your Chaos Walking review will be great, Sandy. I can't wait to see it.

I love this time of year too. Being unemployed and all I had to stay out of any gift swaps this year, but I also very much look forward to seeing people's posts about what they got. That's always so much fun. Hooray for vicarious Christmas cheer :P

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

As usual, your Sunday Salon has me reaching for one more cup of coffee -- I don't know how you do it!

I was up early this morning - saw J off on his Japan trip (well, I saw him to the driveway, where the car was waiting), and made cookies for my daughter's bake sale at the town tree lighting this afternoon.

Not sure what the week will bring - holiday adventures and reading (oh, yes, and work).

bermudaonion said...

We have a weekend like yours next weekend, but isn't that how it goes this time of year?

We have no Christmas spirit, so we're woefully behind in holiday preparations this year.

Enjoy your alone time today!!

Elisabeth said...

Am curious to see what your book club thinks of Room. This was a book my club ended up liking very much, but was a surprise to quite a few of us, myself included who did not want to read it. I thought the subject was off-putting and the book was going to be very depressing, turned out to be not what I thought at all. One of the joys of reading, how books can take you by surprise!

Ann Summerville said...

It's rainy and damp here - perfect weather for reading a novel.
Ann

JoAnn said...

A day all to yourself?? Try to relax and enjoy - easier said than done, I know...

Zibilee said...

It does sound like you had a brief time relaxing, but that you were quickly engulfed back into it all again! I am listening to Model Home right now, and while I like it, it's kind of weird. I also am reading a few that have been on my Kindle for ages, and that I have wanted to read for a long time!

Congratulations of the golf game!

Unknown said...

I hope with a rare day to yourself you relax a little bit! I'm exhausted just reading about your busy weekend!

I'm all about shopping on the computer this time of year...I don't want to encounter any shoppers carrying mace or something like it! sheesh!

I think I signed up for the Book Blogger Swap too late...something happened but I've already received a pretty package from my Persephone Secret Santa!

Enjoy your Sunday, Sandy!

Amy said...

You do sound really really busy! I look forward to your Chaos Walking reviews, as well, maybe they will inspire me to finish the series.

I also love this time of year. ;)

Unknown said...

I like to do a lot of my Christmas shopping online too, but unlike you I haven't actually ordered much - perhaps tomorrow can be me cyber Monday. :-) Have a lovely week!

Trisha said...

I miss golf. Missed the summer because of The Floppy Alienette and now I worry I've completely lost any ability I had....

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm not doing much today...except visiting blogs! I need to put down my mouse and go read!

Here's my Sunday Salon.

Molly said...

Oh Sandy - how I have missed your wonderful posts! So fun and exciting - I feel like such a slug when I read all your activities :)

This is my favorite season as well and while I enjoy the decorating, I have decided to tone it down a bit this year. We just put lights and red bead garland on the tree - no ornaments. I like the simplicity.

I have been out of the book world for so long that I had no idea that Erica B wrote another novel. I absolutely loved her first one - and the title of this one captures my attention. I look forward to reading your review!

Melody said...

I didn't participate in this year's gift swap and it saddens me... life has been busy for me lately and I don't think my mind will be focused, though I'd love to see what everyone gets for their swaps.

Hope you've a great week ahead!!

Unknown said...

You always have a busy schedule Sandy, and I doubt you relaxed today either!
I'm finishing MINDING FRANKIE on audio, loved it!! I'm reading THE WORLD WE FOUND by Thrity Umrigar and then will continue on with Before I Go To Sleep, I put it on my NOOK and couldn't resist a little reading it...very interesting!! Can't wait for my first meeting!!

Jenners said...

I knew you couldn't relax long!! :)

And wasn't Before I Go To Sleep kind of fun? Though I thought the ending was a cop out. Just one more sentence could have made it brilliant I thought.

Carrie K. said...

Can't wait to read your review of Chaos Walking - I adore those books! And Joy for Beginners was excellent, too. Hope you enjoyed your relaxing day!

Julie P. said...

I can feel your pain! My husband in in Hawaii this week but then the traveling ends. Woo Hoo! I'm totally decorated and done shopping, but I still need to write my Christmas cards and wrap everything. Slowly, but surely...

Melissa said...

I always feel crazy busy, but your schedule makes me feel like I'm standing still. Next weekend is tree weekend for us.

Heidenkind said...

Yay Book Blogger Holiday Swap! I shipped mine out today. Last minute, as usual.