Monday, November 15, 2010

Monday Movie Meme - The Great Beyond




This past week, the Bumbles have spent some time in churches attending both a baptism and a funeral. And they began to think about heaven, hell, and the after life. The first movie that comes to mind, of course, is Ghost. There isn't a person with a sliver of a heart that doesn't love this movie. Although I'm slightly addled at the moment, racing from meal to winery to meal, I thought I'd throw out a few ideas of my own:

1. Defending Your Life - If you haven't seen this movie, the premise is that Albert Brooks dies, and must defend himself against a judge and jury, supporting his selfish acts, acts of courage and good deeds, in order to move on to heaven (or hell). It is incredibly funny and even a little sweet.

2. Bettlejuice - Speaking of defending, I'm not sure I can give you a full explanation of why I like this movie. It is very strange, a little stupid, and a wee bit scary, but I always have to stop and watch it every time it comes on TV.

3. City of Angels - I would not be a person to stand up and declare my love for the talents of Nicholas Cage (well, maybe in Adaptation), but something about this movie touched me. So much yearning, love and heartbreak between an angel (Cage) and an earthly beauty (Meg Ryan).

4. Flatliners - I remember the first time I saw this movie, I was in a motel by myself, and I was just a little bit creeped out. Med students begin to stop each other's heart to experience what may lie beyond. *shudder*

So let's hear some of your ideas! And while you do that, I'm off to this:


















And this:






















13 comments:

Zibilee said...

The first time I saw Flatliners, I was like 15 or so, nad went with a group of friends. I forgot all about it until about 6 months ago, when I watched it with my husband and a couple of friends who had never seen it. They were a bit underwhelmed, and I was like " are you kidding, it's a great little movie!" I have to say that I still love it, even after all these years. I also loved Ghost and have to make my husband watch that one too!

Trisha said...

I have not thought about Flatliners in soooo long. Nor Beetlejuice for that matter. What great movies!

Unknown said...

Sandy, you are too funny! Great list of movies! I cannot believe I forgot Defending Your Life! That's a fantastic movie! Beetlejuice is great too (I see a slight impact from the wine here!) lol
I saw Flatliners & Beetlejuice so long ago and liked both very much!

I have City of Angels on my list too!

Enjoy the wine! Have a glass for me!
~ Amy

kayerj said...

looks like your off to a nice place. I haven't seen any of your movies. My kids love Beetlejuice.

Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Kathleen said...

Flatliners still scares me. Enjoy a beautiful day in Napa!

Teacher/Learner said...

I love Ghost! I don't mind Nicolas Cage but City of Angels was really sappy. Here's some I thought of:

Heaven Can Wait- with Warren Beatty, Julie Christie & Jack Warren--a football player dies & returns in the body of a millionaire

The Ghost & Mrs. Muir--classic with Rex Harrison & Gene Tierney about a romance (!) between a widow & the ghost haunting her summer home

Ghost Town--hilarious rom com with Ricky Gervais, Greg Kinnear & Tea Leoni; also has a great soundtrack!

Heart & Souls--with Robert Downey Jr., a group of 5 ghosts who need him to fulfill their last rites before ascension

What Dreams May Come--weepie with Robin Williams and gorgeous scenery

bermudaonion said...

I hope you're having a blast!

The first movie that popped into my head was The Lovely Bones.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I loved City of Angels. Way better than all the recent books out now on the same theme!

Melody said...

Haven't watched any of those except Ghost and Beetlejuice.

Enjoy your trip!!

Alice said...

Hi Sandy! I vaguely remembered watching "Bettlejuice" and "City of Angels". I think.

caite said...

Love the pics...and 'Defending Your Life'!

Heidenkind said...

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir!

Alyce said...

I think I must be one of the few people on the planet that hated Beetlejuice. My husband agrees with me about this movie though - maybe that's one of the secrets to our happiness. ;)