Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sunday Salon: Preying


Top of the morning to you all! I've been laying in bed for the last half hour, replaying the past week and trying to determine if anything happened that you would be the least bit interested in. It was the ultimate "normal" week for me. Got the carpets stretched and cleaned on Monday, so I was housebound. Had to get the clothes dryer fixed on Tuesday, followed up by a vet appointment to get all five cats vaccinated (I'd rather have a root canal people). One kid home sick on Wednesday. Thursday - golf. Friday, clean the house, get my daughter's hair cut, then a couple hours at the school Variety Show. Saturday, kids' sports, wine shopping. See wasn't that exciting?

As sad as it is, the real excitement was in the book department. I'm participating in TLC's Days of Prey Tour, and selected "Broken Prey", the 16th installment of the Lucas Davenport series, to re-read and review. I love these books, and I've read them all. I spent a majority of the week reading it, reveling in the sheer enjoyment of the action, trying to figure out the killer (believe it or not, but even though I've read this book, I couldn't remember!), and fantasizing about Lucas Davenport. I'll be reviewing this book, as well as the newest book "Storm Prey" in the next couple of weeks.

I've also been listening to Stephen King's "Under the Dome" on audio, and am about halfway through the 30-disc journey. And what a journey it is! There have got to be a couple dozen characters at least to keep track of in the story, which normally would drive me nuts. But this is what King does, doesn't he? And because I love him, I forgive him. I have just hitched up my skirts and waded through, and now it is all starting to gel. I'm addicted. Between this and the Prey books, it was old school week.

I've also gone on an audio book ordering bender. I read in last week's EW in Stephen King's editorial page that he feels the best audio narration EVER MADE is something called "Blood's a Rover" by James Ellroy. So like a good little fan I ordered it and loaded it - it is another long one, with something like 25 discs. I have no idea what it is about. I ordered Marisa de los Santos' "Love Walked In" and "Belong to Me". I ordered the highly anticipated "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. "A Reliable Wife" by Robert Goolick. "Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen. I might have ordered even more than I'm remembering. I think I have enough to get me through the summer.

The kids and I are 1 1/2 discs away from finishing the 6th Harry Potter. For those of you who've read this book, then you know that our stomachs are in knots with all of the the intensity (that mess of a movie doesn't count - someone completely missed the boat on that one). I'm really hoping we can get through the 7th book before school ends...that is our goal.

Our book club has selected the next read - The Life of Pi. I read this several years ago, so I'm going to do a re-read on audio. I really liked the book when I read it, but I think many of the symbols and analogies were lost on me. I'm hoping to gain a better understanding of the author's message this time around.
I'm expecting a wee bit more excitement next week...a Barnes & Noble event with the kids' school, hosting a Polish night for our friends, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo coming to our local theater!

So what do you all have going on today? Relaxing? Reading anything good?

26 comments:

Kimberly said...

Good morning and happy Sunday to you, my friend! I feel your pain re. the vet visit! My rescued Chihuahua acts like someone is trying to kill him when it's vet or grooming time...and he suddenly becomes a great dane! And a sick baby....boo! At least you have clean carpets! :) Have a great week!

Julie P. said...

You sound like me. I just had carpet put down upstairs, both kids were sick (one puking) and I ran a garage sale. Just normal life!

Ana S. said...

I don't think that's sad! My reading life is very often the most exciting part of my week :P

Molly said...

I am just amazed how you can read/listen to so many different books at one time and keep all the characters/plot lines straight! I wish I had that kind of mental ability :)

Hope you have a great week, Sandy!

caite said...

"As sad as it is, the real excitement was in the book department." What, isn't that as things should be?? ;-)

Trisha said...

Reading may have been the most exciting part of your week, but I'm jealous of the productivity of your life. I feel like a lazy, procrastinating fool ;)

Anonymous said...

*whispers* It's almost 4pm here and I'm still in PJ's! Shhhhhht! ;)

It has been pouring continuously and I feel really comfy to be at home with nowhere to go. Although you could say I have been traveling to 18th century Japan in my book! :))

bermudaonion said...

I'll be reading Storm Prey and I can't wait. Lucas Davenport is one of my guilty pleasures!

The end of the week is busy, but fun, for me - I'm hosting bunco, attending a Book Your Lunch event, having company for the weekend, going to an art show and a book signing.

Cathy said...

In all honesty, I don't read blogs to find out necessarily about what everyone's reading, but probably more to get a window on who the blogger is, and what their life is like. I love that. Fiction is fiction, after all. Bloggers are real people who are leading interesting lives. See, I didn't know you have FIVE cats, wow! We have two cats that live in our now-empty hangar. (We recently built a new hangar at the local airport.) The cats aren't pets, but necessary components of rural-life. Otherwise, mice start killing the juniper shrub banks.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I would like to listen to more audiobooks but I'm sort of intimidated by the process of getting them onto my ipod. I suppose all I need is someone to show me once. ...

Gavin said...

Happy Sunday, Sandy. I haven't read any of the John Sandford books yet but it sounds like you are truly addicted. And all those audio books! I have to thank you for getting me to give the audio version of The Help a try. It is a real treat and I will surely download others from my library!

Literary Feline said...

I think you and I have different definitions of exciting. LOL Your life sounds very exciting to me. :-)

I'm going to be a part of the Prey tour too and am looking forward to it. I'm reading the series for the first time and already like Lucas Davenport quite a bit. In the book I'm reading there isn't much mystery because the killer is known, but there is sure a lot of suspense!

I read the article by Stephen King in EW and told my husband I really have to get an iPod now. LOL Blood's Rover will go to the top of my list of audio books to listen to.

I hope you have a good week, Sandy.

Iliana said...

I can't believe I've not read any of the Prey books! I always keep hearing how they are great thrillers. Must check out.

And, oh how great that you'll get a chance to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I'm not sure if it came to my neck of the woods or not. The last two months have been sort of a blur for me as I was housebound for quite a while but can't wait to start discovering things again :)

Amy said...

I ordered The Passage too - it sounds great!

JoAnn said...

There's nothing wrong with a "normal" week - we could all use one from time to time :-)
Today is my nephew's First Communion and a family party, then maybe some reading later. Have a great Sunday!

Frances said...

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo will be a real treat for you. Fantastic cinematography - such eye candy. That could definitely be a highlight of next week!

Zibilee said...

Wow! Your audiobook order sounds very impressive!! I am particularly interested in what you think of The Passage. I have really been wanting to read that one. Also, it's kind of nice that you had a little bit of a breather this week, as I am sure the upcoming weeks will be plenty busy for you!! I am also excited to hear the The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is coming soon, as it's something I really want to see! We will have to compare notes!!

Melody said...

I enjoyed "Love Walked In", but haven't got around to reading "Belong to Me" yet. Yeah...too many books to read, LOL.

I hope you will enjoy "Garden Spells"; that's the book that got me started on the rest of Sarah Addison Allen's books. Hope you have a great week, Sandy!

Jenners said...

Polish night? Got pierogis??? YUMMMMMMM!

I really enjoyed "Belong to Me" and look forward to "Love Walked In" so I'm excited for you to try them out. I've so got to try "Under the Dome" but I think it will be best for a Kindle and when I can "buy" books again. (I'm hoping I get a little something for Mother's Day. Lord knows I've dropped enough hints.)

Lisa said...

How does one even get five cats to the vet at the same time??? I like the idea of wine shopping much better!

Jen - Devourer of Books said...

You know, you always do this to me. You do a Sunday Salon post and I think "uh oh, I need to tell Sandy she spelled the title wrong!" and then I read the post and see that no, you didn't, you're just all clever with your wordplay.

Chelle said...

I saw the movie and it is intense! Even having read the book and knowing what to expect several of the audience, myself included, were jumping out of our seats. It was good though.

Serena said...

Uhoh! Audiobook ordering spree! You are in trouble. I cannot wait to see the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movie...and read all three books in a row...yes, I've willed myself to hold out...dunno why, but I wanted to and I don't have much longer to wait for book 3!

Ti said...

We celebrated The Hub's bday yesterday so it involved a lot of eating (Sunday Brunch) and walking (window shopping) but it was nice overall.

Now it's back to the grind but I am hoping to continue my little "read-fest" as I am way behind on my reading!

Kathleen said...

Can't wait for your Prey review coming up soon on the tour! This was my first foray into the Prey series. I think I'm in love with Lucas Davenport! Hee hee

Alice said...

I so love the LIFE OF PI! Have fun with it again with your book club. :D