This week's topic for the Monday Movie Meme from The Bumbles is all about dancing. Apparently Molly and Andy attended their niece's dance recital this past weekend, and it inspired them to think of movies that are either focused on dancing, or have memorable dance scenes. Here are ones that come to mind:
1. Footloose - I saw this movie in high school so many times, and always fantasized about being able to dance like those people. One time, a bunch of my friends went to see the movie with our Typing and Shorthand teacher, who was young and sorta cool, and we were so jacked up we went out looking for dance to crash. (We didn't find one.)
2. Saturday Night Fever - Admit it. You've at least tried dancing like that, shaking your booty and pointing that finger. I may have mentioned this while discussing another movie topic, but this was my first rated R movie. My friend Julie's mom took a group of us. I think we were just as impressed with John Travolta's black underwear as with the dancing actually.
3. Dirty Dancing - Isn't there a little bit of Baby in all of us? Uncoordinated and overlooked? I think that is why this movie was such a huge hit. Get out of that corner!
4. Pulp Fiction - Another iconic John Travolta moment. You have to admit, this was really one of the coolest dance scenes ever. The first time I saw it, I just sat there with a stupid grin on my face. Then of course, we had to replicate the dance after the movie was over. That, and eat blueberry pancakes.
5. Mad Hot Ballroom - This is what documentary film is all about...showing inner city kids lifted out of the cycle of dysfunction by their love of ballroom dancing and competition. Watching it leaves you with a feeling of elation. Watch it now!
I know you all must have your favorite dance movie! Please share!