Monday, July 13, 2009

Monday Movie Meme - Waterworld


Today's Monday Movie Meme from the Bumbles was inspired by their trip this weekend to see the Tall Ships in Boston. It was like a trip back through time, and the only thing that would have made it better was to see that dashing Jack Sparrow hopping around on them. This sent their imaginations down the path of movies filmed on or near water. Here are some that came to my mind:

Open Water - this movie was shot as if someone was holding a video recorder, which made it seem all the more real. A group of 20-somethings go scuba diving, and two get accidentally left behind out in the open water. You can only imagine what happens at that point. I liked the movie fine for the shock value, I would just recommend not to eat before you watch it.

Knife in the Water - nominated for Best Foreign Language film in 1962 and directed by Roman Polanski, this movie is about a couple who invite a hitchhiker to go sailing with them (not too different from Dead Calm, which is another good ocean movie). My husband made me watch this movie for its Polish origins, and I gave him alot of trouble for it, but is really very good.

River Wild - a madman (Kevin Bacon) and his buddy kidnap a family on a white water rafting trip. Bacon is brilliant in his portrayal as a bad guy, and of course I enjoy anything that Meryl Streep is in. This one is a nail-biter!

Castaway - well, I know he isn't IN the ocean per se, but he's really damn close! I recently rented this movie on iTunes and the kids watched it while we were in Poland. What a great movie! Wilson!

The Poseidon Adventure - I've seen both the 1972 version and the 2006 remake and frankly, they are both pretty cheesy. But the idea of a rogue wave knocking over a cruise ship does send a little ripple of fear down our spines, doesn't it? The movie gets extra points for that.

The Abyss - a little bit thriller, a little romance
, and some unknown underwater beasties makes this one movie I will watch whenever it comes on the tube. The book wasn't half bad either.

Jaws - so how many times can I mention this film in one year's worth of memes? Stay tuned and find out. I just couldn't NOT list this one, could I?

I just want to acknowledge that Titanic is probably one of the biggest water movies of all time, but I'm not putting it on the list just because. Isn't it great to have your own blog and can do what you want? The power!

9 comments:

Bellezza said...

My father and I first saw Jaws when I was a senior in High School: 1979. I can't believe how scared we were when you compare it to today's special effects!

Beth F said...

I had trouble with the River Wild because I love Kevin Bacon and I hate seeing him as a bad guy. I'm so shallow!

Unknown said...

I don't think I can add any to your list this time. I do want to add a vote for Knife in the Water. What a great movie. The Criteron Collection released it on DVD and it actually has an interesting commentary track.

Oh, maybe I can add Das Boot.

Sandy Nawrot said...

Bellezza - I guess it just goes to show how you can have the crap scared out of you without all the CG effects! That movie scarred me.

Beth - It was quite strange to see him so easily slip into that skin, wasn't it? He was one nasty character!

James - I have my eye on that Criterion Collection. I was wondering if any of the commenters would have even seen this movie...I knew I could count on you!

The Bumbles said...

I never saw The River Wild. I thought it looked hokey - maybe because Kevin Bacon is always Footloose to me?

The Poseiden Adventure - is that the one that was basically The Towering Inferno underwater? Gotta love 70's disaster films!

Iliana said...

Wasn't Open Water scary? The way it was filmed just made it all seem so real. But you are right, no one should eat before seeing that one! haha....

Melody said...

Jaws will always remain in my mind!I haven't watched the original Poseidon Adventure, but I thought the remake was quite nicely done - great effects, that is.

Melissa said...

I've only seen Open Water on your list. I really should watch Jaws one of these days....

Literary Feline said...

I think the only movie on your list I've seen is The Abyss. And that one I saw in parts, starting with the end. :-)

The first movie that came to mind was The Hunt For Red October. I think that's the Sean Connery movie set in the submarine.