Sunday, November 9, 2014

Sunday Salon: The Crud Cometh

 Well, the weather is changing so it was bound to happen.  Both my son and I got the crud.  I tend to ignore it and try to sweat it out, but being a 15 year old and of the male species, the boy milked it.  I'm hoping all of this goes away soon, but odds are the other two members of the family will get it too, and will start that never-ending rotation.

Anyway, besides all that, it was a decent week.  I'm still enjoying my Polish class, and with the upcoming holidays we are going to be having food parties!  Because we must do as the Polish do.

I returned to my second book club after a couple of years on hiatus.  With the exception of one personality, I really missed these people.  They take their reading seriously, and come with notes and insight.  This month we read "In the Kingdom of Ice" by Hampton Sides, and was loved by everyone.  Here are my thoughts on Goodreads, but Jill's husband did a wonderful review as well.  I listened to it on audio, and Arthur Morey narrated.  He isn't exactly dynamic, but he's solid and is the perfect voice for non-fiction like this.

I also listened to "Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom, against my better judgement.  It was chosen by my other book club, and I really had no desire to subject myself to this schmaltz, but I hate going to meetings not having read the assignment.  After all, I have no right to bitch if I haven't.  The audio made a bad situation even worse, with dramatic music that felt like a soap opera.  Ugh.  That meeting is next week.

I've now just started "The Art of Hearing Heartbeats" by Jan-Philipp Sendker, the selection for next month's book club.  It is narrated by Cassandra Campbell, who does a great job with these types of books.  It looks like it is going to be a winner.

Not much progress on print.  I AM halfway through the graphic novel "Watchmen" and it is really a fine example of smart comics.  Very well-done.  I need to get it finished by next Tuesday, because that is the day Stephen King's "Revival" comes out, and I'll be joining Ti in her readathon.  I very cleverly scheduled an eye appointment at Costco that day, so I could pick up the book at the same time.  Very excited!

Not sure what we'll be doing today.  It is rainy and chilly, the kids have homework, and I'm feeling crappy.  We do want to see "Interstellar" but not sure we'll get there.  What is everyone up to today?   



8 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

We have the crud too. As do all the neighbors! It's that time of year.... You are a better person than I for going through with the Mitch Albom reading! :--)

bermudaonion said...

Carl and I both had the crud and we sweated it out. I'm glad to have it behind me. Between you and Jim, I want to read In the Kingdom of Ice.

I read Five People You Meet in Heaven several years ago at the recommendation of my mother-in-law and did not like it at all.

Trisha said...

The fact that you are enjoying Watchmen and not at all enjoying that freaking Albom book just cements our joint awesomeness.

Anonymous said...

I read Five People You Meet in Heaven probably 10 years ago. No way I'd subject myself to that again.

Not sure if I'll make it to book club this week or not, depends on work... you know how it goes. I'm just all over the place lately.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well! Hope it gets better soon.

Unknown said...

I read 'Five People You Meet in Heaven' and hated every word. I can imagine how much worse it would be on audio!

'In the Kingdom' of Ice' seems to be loved by everyone. I've added it to my wishlist and hope to get to it soon.

Hope you and your family get better soon!

Alyce said...

I hope the crud goes away soon! I feel for you withe schmaltzy reading. Part of why I quit the book club I used to belong to years ago was a run of book choices like that which I just couldn't take anymore.

Ti said...

I hope you are feeling better now. I am always worried about getting sick this time of year. Thanksgiving, sick, is no fun at all. You can't taste a damn thing and how the hell can you cook when you can't taste anything?

The Teen took me driving yesterday. Oh my GOD! He was okay, except for one part where he rolled into an intersection without stopping and me saying STOP did not register with him.

Beth F said...

Hope you're on the mend. I loved Kingdom of Ice too